FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Getting to South Africa - Lufthansa or Qatar in Business Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1975333-getting-south-africa-lufthansa-qatar-business-class.html)

crfgon Jun 24, 2019 12:46 am

Getting to South Africa - Lufthansa or Qatar in Business Class?

Hello all! I am looking to go to South Africa (JNB or CPT) from Stockholm, and I am currently eyeing Lufthansa and Qatar Business Class. While Lufthansa is about $300 less than Qatar, I feel that Qatar may be the better product. I should also add that I am a Star Alliance Gold/United 1K member, so I would credit the miles to United if flying Lufthansa, but I wouldn't know where to credit my Qatar miles since they are fairly removed from any program of value to me. Since this is partially the LH thread, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? They'd be sincerely appreciated!

Mwenenzi Jun 24, 2019 1:13 am

Originally Posted by crfgon (Post 31233266)
I am looking to go to South Africa (JNB or CPT) from Stockholm, and I am currently eyeing Lufthansa and Qatar Business Class.

While Lufthansa is about $300 less than Qatar, I feel that Qatar may be the better product. I should also add that I am a Star Alliance Gold/United 1K member, so I would credit the miles to United if flying Lufthansa, but I wouldn't know where to credit my Qatar miles since they are fairly removed from any program of value to me.

Since this is partially the LH thread, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? They'd be sincerely appreciated!

What are the departure/arrival/overall travel times? Does that make a difference?
Route--> Great Circle Mapper
So about 2 hrs more time in the air with QR

Qatar are in Oneworld alliance so a ff partner of AA, BA & others
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qatar-airways/j
But selecting a flight on only ff miles consideration is not the best IMHO

SK AAR Jun 24, 2019 2:15 am

I suggest LH. Shorter flight time, cheaper and you have nothing to use the QR miles/points for.

Yes, QR service onboard is better but not worth the hassle and inconvenience of making a transfer midflight (rather than a short LH feeder flight to/from FRA or MUC). Also LH flights are night flights both from FRA/MUC and CPT/JNB (except the LH flight from CPT to MUC which departs CPT around 9AM)

Raul_R Jun 24, 2019 2:26 am

Depending mostly on do you care about LH miles.
If you need them (or any other Star Alliance program miles and LH booking class is OK (P-class do not earn any miles on several Star Alliance partners), then take LH.
If LH/StarAlliance miles is nothing worth for you, go for QR.

sw1x Jun 24, 2019 2:54 am

Also partial to LH here - and not because this is the LH forum.

1. LH is 1-stop with a short connecting flight into MUC or FRA. Qatar appears to be 2-stop via HEL and DOH (and not from ARN if I am not mistaken).

2. Personally I am not fond of a middle-of-the-night connection in DOH.

3. Should you be travelling with a companion QR’s superior seat configuration with direct aisle access would likely be mitigated.

4. LH is cheaper (for once!).

5. You have use for the miles.

6. You’d not be supporting a state funded airline (albeit LH also enjoys a lot of (indirect) support in Germany).

oliver2002 Jun 24, 2019 7:07 am

It really depends on the flight times and what equipment QR uses for your flights. In the current schedule its A359 for QR to both, LH is B748 to JNB and A343 to CPT. Travel time on LH is about 2:30h less to both. Connection in DOH is only an hour, so no pleasure temple visit feasible, in FRA its about 90 minutes.

Jaenks Jun 24, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by sw1x (Post 31233489)
Also partial to LH here - and not because this is the LH forum.
1. LH is
1-stop with a short connecting flight into MUC or FRA. Qatar appears to be 2-stop via HEL and DOH (and not from ARN if I am not mistaken).

QR flies directly to DOH from ARN,CPH,OSL and HEL. From ARN to DOH you can fly in QSuites which is currently the best business class in the world IMHO.

nosedive Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31233329)
What are the departure/arrival/overall travel times? Does that make a difference?
Route--> Great Circle Mapper
So about 2 hrs more time in the air with QR

<smart-... mode>
The difference in great-circle distances isn't big (going through DOH as opposed to FRA increases the distance by <10%). So it would be more like 1 extra hour in the air if the airlines flew relatively close along the great circle. But Qatar doesn't due to the embargo...
</smart-... mode>

tgj1974 Jun 24, 2019 11:13 am

+1 for LH

Because of the short feeder and then long flight, these 6-7h flights are just annoying.

Nic33 Jun 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by sw1x (Post 31233489)

6. You’d not be supporting a state funded airline (albeit LH also enjoys a lot of (indirect) support in Germany).

7. You'd not be supporting an airline which, among others, assigns its cabin crews to live in guarded compounds similar to prisons.

f4freeJunior Jun 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by tgj1974 (Post 31234606)
+1 for LH

Because of the short feeder and then long flight, these 6-7h flights are just annoying.

and this is the only variable to consider. Who cares about a better seat and service if LH offers you an acceptable product to sleep a good 8+ hours in one go. QR is not an acceptable option unless significantly cheaper.

ermis177 Jun 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Qatar if you havent travelled with them before. You will get the best C seat and service. Also you will get enough miles to become silver with OW ( plus 4 flights with BA). LH C seat is outdated and the food just ok. I will not get into the political aspect of the conversation about FA living conditions etc. If that was the point most people should never fly with BA for the same reason ( poverty wages when the company makes 2bil profit).

worldclubber Jun 25, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ermis177 (Post 31235599)
Qatar if you havent travelled with them before. You will get the best C seat and service. Also you will get enough miles to become silver with OW ( plus 4 flights with BA). LH C seat is outdated and the food just ok. I will not get into the political aspect of the conversation about FA living conditions etc. If that was the point most people should never fly with BA for the same reason ( poverty wages when the company makes 2bil profit).

The LH seat map is no doubt outdated, but the seat itself is fine when travelling with a companion. And airplane food on any airlines is just that: airplane food.

Would go with the flight with the best timing, in this case LH.

Jaenks Jun 25, 2019 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Nic33 (Post 31235194)
7. You'd not be supporting an airline which, among others, assigns its cabin crews to live in guarded compounds similar to prisons.

If the result of living in guarded(secured) compounds or prisons as you wrote is consistently great service with natural smile then QR great service is a fake news. :) If I would not leave politics aside, I would not ever travel.

TPJ Jun 25, 2019 1:26 am

If it is C then QR.

Don't want to go into the OMNI territory, but daughter of my very good friend just ends the 10 year F/A employment with QR. For what she saved, she is able to purchase a very nice apartment in Europe, so her life will be mortgage-free. And no - she was not fired - she leaves as after 10 years of employment and will have free/discounted tickets (I guess ZED or similar) for life. This has always been her plan stay for 10 years and leave.

She never complained about employment at QR.

Sorry for OT'ing...