Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to South Africa - Lufthansa or Qatar in Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The OP could also consider ET via ADD for a cheaper but more exotic experience (but still solid/fine in C class). As depart. time from ARN is around 10PM, it allows a full day of work before heading to the airport. The night flight is on the 7 hour leg ARN-ADD, arriving ADD in the early morning. Onward flights to JNB or CPT arrive around/past noon (rather than in the morning with LH. BA or QR).

Another option is TK via IST, however, the travel time is bit longer. But a solid C class product and should be far cheaper than LH and QR.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by worldclubber
The LH seat map is no doubt outdated, but the seat itself is fine when travelling with a companion. And airplane food on any airlines is just that: airplane food.

Would go with the flight with the best timing, in this case LH.
I disagree. Why would you take a below average seat when you can have the Qsuites? And also i said about the service. Not only the food. Dine on demand is one of the best things i have experienced in J personally. You can fall asleep anytime and when you wake up you can get anything from the menu. Not to mentioned the pyjamas, matress etc. As LH ad said many years ago, "You see the world the way you fly."
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ermis177
I disagree. Why would you take a below average seat when you can have the Qsuites?
Why would one change planes in the middle of the night, when you could just keep sleeping? I would rather not. Different preferences, I guess.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:37 pm

QR has the better (or much better - depending on the seats) product in Business Class.
If you don't mind getting up in the middle of the night and change planes QR is the better option.
Personally I wold pick LH mainly for the longer uninterrupted sleeping time, even considering the smaller seats.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Work 50 years an FA for BA and you get a free upgrade to WT+.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:21 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
To be fair the best way to get to South Africa imo currently is either LX or QR, I'd be going for LX due to affiliation. Even better, the planes flying to JNB currently being refurbished so you'll be able to enjoy a brand new seat. Currently the chances are 3:1, but from October on all planes will have the new cabin. So try and opt for LX isntead of LH, price should usually be similar.
Also: The Senator Lounge in ZRH is awesome.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: LH M&M
Having done both to South Africa, I'd pick LH for the longer night flight.

I do believe QR is the better overall experience though, so if having two flights of more or less equal length isn't a problem, then QR could be a good option.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: *G
QR routing is terrible and LH seat is fine if traveling with partners instead of solo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.