LH Miles or UA GPU Have Higher Upgrade Priority on LH?

Old Jun 22, 19, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
LH Miles or UA GPU Have Higher Upgrade Priority on LH?

Was just wondering whether an upgrade WL with LH miles or a UA GPU have a higher priority than the other on LH flights? (Economy to Biz upgrade)
Old Jun 23, 19, 9:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Same system, theoretically same priority.
Old Jun 24, 19, 7:40 am

Programs: LO SEN
I believe that GPU...
Old Jun 24, 19, 8:44 am

Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
In my experience GPU cleares first.
Old Jun 24, 19, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by mario_s View Post
I believe that GPU...
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior View Post
In my experience GPU cleares first.
Yes, I was sort of thinking that - based on what a M&M rep told me a few days ago when asking about why my upgrade wasn't clearing when C9 (9 seats in biz available for awards) was available.

She replied that awards can be readily booked as LH receives a good amount of *cash* for "taxes and fees"!

So, based on that logic, and based on reports that GPUs have some (cash/credit reimbursable) value, they would be ahead of LH Group's own M&M miles... (external receivables = additional income for them)
Old Jun 24, 19, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Well, a datapoint:

Family member (UA*G) flying on a LH-plated Q-class ticket (to a destination in Europe) was just upgraded at CI to biz using M&M miles.

Myself, a UA*G flying on a UA-plated U-fare (M-class on LH, to a destination in the US) was *not* upgraded at CI using a UA GPU!

Both on same LH intercontinental flight, first outbound segments. (LH Flights ex-BOM are going "chock-o-block"/fully zeroed out due to UA pulling their EWR-BOM flight and putting pax on LH!)

So, prior logic expressed by myself and others does not apply apparently!

However, I think that Y to C upgrades on LH are acted upon differently from C to F ones, especially with GPUs...

Search this Thread