Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa’s latest way to annoy customers: constant seat changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
If I’m on the A321 I’d take 11A in preference to any seat up front. Not sure which I find more annoying; the curtain being moved back to behind row 11 on a flight with very few C pax or being op-upped to 3F which happened at least once in recent memory.
N1003U likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Spot on, that sums it up nicely — and fares for short/medium C are (generally speaking) not exactly cheap. As you say, the only benefits left are pretty much the adjacent seat and the extra miles, definitely not the 2 slices of cheese accompanied by a pastry and a slice of muskmelon
G
Now I feel sad about this state of affairs, two slices of cheese and the adjacent seat is all that is left, I can't be that upset...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Spot on, that sums it up nicely — and fares for short/medium C are (generally speaking) not exactly cheap. As you say, the only benefits left are pretty much the adjacent seat and the extra miles, definitely not the 2 slices of cheese accompanied by a pastry and a slice of muskmelon

G

You got 2 slices of Cheese ? Catering really slipped up on that flight
lhrpete, N1003U and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
You got 2 slices of Cheese ? Catering really slipped up on that flight
LH still claims to serve a „full meal“ in C, no matter how short the flight: „Even on short and medium-haul routes, in Lufthansa Business Class you can expect a full meal which will be served on high-quality china.“

Who said Germans do not have a sense of humor.
lhrpete, chris63, orbitmic and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber

LH still claims to serve a „full meal“ in C, no matter how short the flight: „Even on short and medium-haul routes, in Lufthansa Business Class you can expect a full meal which will be served on high-quality china.“

Who said Germans do not have a sense of humor.
Yes, none of those LH claims come close to reality, in the UK if you make false claims / statements it’s not even legal...

But I am acquainted with Germans that have a wonderful sense of Humour. ^
lhrpete, Tafflyer and worldclubber like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Y booked, Y received.

Guess no long wait to leave aircraft after arrival as Business was empty. What’s the issue here?

If OP is so keen on a low row number I suggest to book Business.

Given that the work ‘mean’ was used earlier in this context I do strongly recommend to use AA etc a bit more...
Actually, I fly AA very often. As a OW Emerald I am treated far better by AA than as a Star Gold by Lufthansa. AA give me free bags, front extra space seats reserved in advance, and extra miles all on the cheapest tickets. None of which I get from LH as a top-tier Star-Alliance holder.

The low row number for the sake of it is also not the issue. The issue is all that empty space in the aircraft wasted and not used either for business or economy passengers. The curtain was moved way after check-in opened so the business passengers were all in rows 1-4. A total of 7 rows were completely empty.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Actually, I fly AA very often. As a OW Emerald I am treated far better by AA than as a Star Gold by Lufthansa. AA give me free bags, front extra space seats reserved in advance, and extra miles all on the cheapest tickets. None of which I get from LH as a top-tier Star-Alliance holder.
LH treat their own Star Golds better than they treat Star Golds from other Star Alliance members.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM

That‘s *A. Great network in most parts of the world, but rather limited benefits on „partner“ airlines.

Oneworld and SkyTeam provide more common benefits.
lhrpete, AlicorporateUK and N1003U like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
LH treat their own Star Golds better than they treat Star Golds from other Star Alliance members.
Yes, a major negative point for the “alliance” that they allow that. But that’s not the issue in this thread, that’s well enough covered elsewhere. The curtain moving issue screws their elites even more than the others since their carefully selected exit seats that other elites had no access to were also lost.
chris63, N1003U and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

The low row number for the sake of it is also not the issue. The issue is all that empty space in the aircraft wasted and not used either for business or economy passengers. The curtain was moved way after check-in opened so the business passengers were all in rows 1-4. A total of 7 rows were completely empty.
Yes - so?

My severe apologies but I do strongly believe that you think that your *G should have given you a right to sit there. They have not granted you that right so please don’t book them going forward if you don’t think you are properly valued.

I still do not see anything which would justify your header or how they have annoyed anyone; apart from yourself being annoyed that you had to sit behind the curtain.

D
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by roberino
Wouldn't that just make the load factor in C look terrible though? A bit self defeating.
The main load factor stat is overall, and from that point of view, it certainly helps. Imagine a 10 row aircraft, three passengers in C and 30 in Y.

Option 1: you give 2 rows of C for 3 pax, and 8 rows of Y to the 30 pax so that they can spread out a little. Your load factor is 38/56 = 67.8%
Option 2: you give 5 rows of C for the 3 px and only 5 rows of Y to the now full back cabin. Your load factor is now 38/50 = 76%

Everyone got what they paid for but now, your short haul load factor improved by over 8 points through a simple curtain move.
cas_de, N1003U and Raul_R like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
In fairness, you also get treated far better by AA as OWE than you are by BA as Gold with them too! As you say, AA will give you free bag and some complementary drink and snack, neither of which you will get from BA (for the bag, at least on a HBO fare).
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Having been a *G with LH, SQ and A3 I would say Lufthansa treat all *Gs with equal contempt!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I would say that the situation is 30% sad, 30% offensive, and 40% annoying...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Unfortunately, this is common within all Star Alliance members. United does not offer EconomyPlus seating for non-UA *G members, Lufthansa does not offer extra piece baggage or extra weight for non-M&M *G's on some routes, etc...

Originally Posted by worldclubber

That‘s *A. Great network in most parts of the world, but rather limited benefits on „partner“ airlines.

Oneworld and SkyTeam provide more common benefits.
Agree. *A has a great network and great airlines but when they come to interlining with each other, they are the worst.
I really like the point of Oneworld where I always get my free extra piece baggage when needed and the point where I could pre-reserve extra-legroom seats for free, despite the member airline.

When it comes to the OP's point. I had similar occasions when I was shot back, both as a SEN ( in the past ) and a TK*G. The worst case is when you get shot from 11A to a rear seat and when 26A is not available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.