FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   UFO flight attendant Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT2019 and LH 7-8NOV2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1974896-ufo-flight-attendant-strike-ew-4u-cl-sxd-20oct2019-lh-7-8nov2019.html)

oskidunker Jun 20, 19 3:52 pm

UFO flight attendant Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT2019 and LH 7-8NOV2019]
 
https://amp.dw.com/en/lufthansa-cabi...uly/a-49274768

should this happen, what would Lufthansa do?

1. refund money?
2. Book us on another airline?

Flying business. Sfo/muc mid july for cruise.
Would they be more likely to fly long routes with other personnel or would the whole thing be shut down leaving us on our own yo find flights?

worldclubber Jun 20, 19 4:10 pm


Originally Posted by oskidunker (Post 31223443)
https://amp.dw.com/en/lufthansa-cabi...uly/a-49274768

should this happen, what would Lufthansa do?

1. refund money?
2. Book us on another airline?

Flying business. Sfo/muc mid july for cruise.
Would they be more likely to fly long routes with other personnel or would the whole thing be shut down leaving us on our own yo find flights?

Unlikely the strike will really happen. If it does, they will rebook you.

warakorn Jun 21, 19 7:32 am


should this happen, what would Lufthansa do?

1. refund money?
2. Book us on another airline?
EC261/2004 article 8 applies:
Hence, you as passenger may choose between a full refund, a free reroute at the earliest possible time, a free reroute at an own preferred time (could be far in the future).

Article 8 rights exists regardless of the cause of the cancellation or period of notification.

oskidunker Jun 21, 19 5:46 pm

Will they rebook in Business?
 

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 31225298)
EC261/2004 article 8 applies:
Hence, you as passenger may choose between a full refund, a free reroute at the earliest possible time, a free reroute at an own preferred time (could be far in the future).

Article 8 rights exists regardless of the cause of the cancellation or period of notification.

Just want to be be careful they dont stick me on United in Coach if this happens.

chris63 Jun 22, 19 6:57 am


Originally Posted by worldclubber (Post 31223500)


Unlikely the strike will really happen. If it does, they will rebook you.

Lets hope so !

And with BA pilots looking at strikes over the same period it would be challenging in Europe

Redhat72 Jun 22, 19 8:41 am

Any tentative dates announced? Supposed to fly on July 2nd.

fassy Jun 22, 19 4:47 pm


Originally Posted by oskidunker (Post 31227090)
Just want to be be careful they dont stick me on United in Coach if this happens.

They will need to rebook you into the same class of service as payed for, so if you had a business class ticket, you‘ll fly business class - unless you accept a voluntary downgrade to (premium) economy, e.g. because there are no free seats in business on some routing you want to take.


Originally Posted by Redhat72 (Post 31228381)
Any tentative dates announced? Supposed to fly on July 2nd.

Eurowings/Germanwings not before mid/end July, Lufthansa mainline probably not before August.

Anyhow, for once i can see LH has good chance they will stop the strike action before the courts. UFO (the union) unilateral canceled the last framework contract after some internal scandal and disputes where the whole leadership needed to resign. The new interim union leaders thought it would be a good idea to put Germanwings and LH under pressure now and took a bold move by terminating the current framework contract and then calling for strike action. Probably to win favors with the union base and get elected as leadership team when those elections are due.

LH claims the current leadership team doesn’t have the authority to cancel contracts and renegotiate a deal. The union should get their act together and get back to normal formal process with setting up elections to nominate a new leadership, formulate demands for the next framework contract and then get back to the table to talk about it.

I’m usually not a big fan of Lufthansa management (not a fan of unions either...) but in this case, at least according to the information I got, I would side with lufthansa. Strike for higher salary is not supposed to be a tool for a interim leadership to win over the union base.

warakorn Jun 23, 19 3:07 pm

Stopping a strike via court?
This is difficult to achieve in Germany, since the right to strike is enshrined in the German Constitution (article 9).

fassy Jun 23, 19 3:44 pm


Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 31231935)
Stopping a strike via court?
This is difficult to achieve in Germany, since the right to strike is enshrined in the German Constitution (article 9).

True, but there really certain rules to follow before a union can call to strike action. A union can not just call for a strike because they think its time for it.

as long as there is a valid collective bargaining agreement in place, a union cannot call for a strike - and any effort to do so would be stopped before labor court.

UFO tried to navigate this by terminating the current agreement ahead of time. Which LH did not acknowledge due to a) the unclear organizational setup of the union and b) it is not quite clear if terminating the contract ahead of time as lawful in the first place.

cas_de Oct 7, 19 5:31 am

News (in German only):

https://www.airliners.de/ufo-lufthan...-oktober/52138

https://ufo-online.aero/images/theme..._Infoflyer.pdf

Key message is that UFO plans to hold strikes with all LH group airlines. Details will be announced on Oct 14.

oliver2002 Oct 7, 19 7:36 am

UFO is a bit of a disarray after a few scandals this year. The FAs are now organised in three unions (UFO, verdi, IGL), UFO is trying to show strength. In Germany you can't strike unless the majority of union members vote to strike. Such a strike will take place 6 weeks after the vote. They can also call for flash strikes to gather support for the vote, but UFO needs the required support for that.

IMWMN Oct 8, 19 9:15 am

I am a reader of posts, etc, but rarely post.

HOWEVER - in regards to this LH pending possible strike. We are on them later in October VCE - FRA. We then connect on to UA FRA DEN. Will LH give advance warning of the "FLASH STRIKES" or is it going to be a show up at the airport and 'surprise'??
Thanks for you advice!

fassy Oct 8, 19 9:53 am


Originally Posted by IMWMN (Post 31605329)
I am a reader of posts, etc, but rarely post.

HOWEVER - in regards to this LH pending possible strike. We are on them later in October VCE - FRA. We then connect on to UA FRA DEN. Will LH give advance warning of the "FLASH STRIKES" or is it going to be a show up at the airport and 'surprise'??
Thanks for you advice!

"FLASH STRIKES" are very uncommon (and mostly unlawful) in Germany. The normal thing is that the union make their intention to strike public well ahead of time. Just monitor the situation and you should be alright.

IMWMN Oct 8, 19 12:01 pm

Thanks! That really is all we can do! We will just monitor and see what happens.

oliver2002 Oct 13, 19 5:19 am

UFO will announce their next steps on Monday afternoon. It seems they will go for select 'warnstreik' activity to show that they still have a sizeable following. They are annoyed that LH is talking to verdi as the FA union too.

A website has been setup with details: https://www.ufo-online.aero/de/themen/lhconcern.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.