Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

UFO FA Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT19, LH 7-8NOV19 & 4U 30DEC-1JAN20]

Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
Rebooking waiver issued November 5, 2019 for the strike to occur on November 7-8, 2019

LH advises you what do in case of irreg cancellations here: https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-disruptions

Information on the announced strike of UFO

UFO has called on its cabin crew members for a two-day strike on 7 and 8 November. Lufthansa condemns the UFO's call for a strike in the strongest possible terms and is considering legal steps to prevent the strike. We are currently working at full speed on a special flight plan for Thursday and Friday which will be published on Wednesday. We apologize for any inconvenience that may arise.

Please check this website regularly, leave your mobile number in your Miles & More profile or in your booking and you will automatically be informed about the latest changes.

Your flight has not yet been cancelled, but you still want to change to another day or the train?

In order to give you planning security, we now offer you a free rebooking in the following cases

• You are booked on a Lufthansa Group flight to and from Frankfurt or Munich with departure on 7 or 8 November.
  • Your ticket was issued on and before 4 November.
You can rebook your flight for the same route to a new date up to and including 15 November. Availability in the same class provided.

If you are booked on a domestic Lufthansa flight, we offer you a free exchange of your flight route for a train ticket on this page.

If and when a particular strike begins and flights are actually beginning to be cancelled/automatically rebooked, you can call or use facebook messenger ( https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/chatbot ) and ask for a rebooking/rerouting. If your ticket was issued by a travel agent or different airline, you are advised to contact the issuing office.

LH usually rebooks to other LH Group carriers, any star alliance carrier or other IATA airline it has an interline agreement with. The preference to do so is in the same order and done only if the preferred alternative doesn't have any free seats in the class of service (not booking class). Award bookings are treated the same way, although you may be requested to contact the issuing carrier for reissuing the ticket. LH issued tickets are usually reissued using the ATC irreg system. Because of the ATC in place, any travel agent who originally issued the tickets can rebook using the rules and reissue the tickets automatically without any intervention required by Lufthansa.

Details of the LH irreg invol rebooking policy is here: https://aviacenter.ru/en/news/2019/04/29/lufthansa-group-airlines.-flight-irregularities-policy-(in-case-of-schedule-changes)/

More details on irreg procedures here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...interview.html
Print Wikipost

UFO FA Strike [at EW/4U/CL/SXD on 20OCT19, LH 7-8NOV19 & 4U 30DEC-1JAN20]

Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apalling behaviour continuing from LH. It did not affect me as I am already rebooked to LOT.

Originally the LH965 was meant to operate, having cancelled the morning yesterday. They just cancelled it 3 hours before departure putting those passengers right up the creek. Disgusting last minute cancellation that could had been pre-empted yesterday.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
If the talks fail the UFO decision for unlimited strikes still stands. This means UFO can announce anytime without warning new strikes which can last as long as they want. If the talks are successful UFO and LH will start a mediation process. During the mediation both sides have a peace obligation meaning that UFO is not allowed to strike while LH is not allowed to ban union workers.
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation, let’s hope for successful talks & at least mediation & hope both sides can consider the impact on the innocent customers of the company....
flyingfkb likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Hi,

Where can I find the ticket that says involuntary. I printed the new ticket from lh.com. It has only line that says "invol reroute fare restrictions may apply". And there is no other reference to "invol". My FF program is with UA. Hope they can be convinced with this. I tried "manage booking" from Qatar (in which I'm rerouted). It is not allowing me to proceed as I need to enter my personal details and once I enter, it says "FF number entered twice" or some such thing and there is no option to go past this.

Prasad14
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM
Originally Posted by Raul_R
I am happy to find that none of my flights was affected by strike.
I too sailed through my travel day unaffected. Normally I don't have such luck....
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by prasad14
Hi,

Where can I find the ticket that says involuntary. I printed the new ticket from lh.com. It has only line that says "invol reroute fare restrictions may apply". And there is no other reference to "invol". My FF program is with UA. Hope they can be convinced with this. I tried "manage booking" from Qatar (in which I'm rerouted). It is not allowing me to proceed as I need to enter my personal details and once I enter, it says "FF number entered twice" or some such thing and there is no option to go past this.

Prasad14

The old ticket and the new ticket with the invol comment is enough for united orc.
prasad14 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
EU261 compensation

Just received a negative answer for the EU261 compensation due to a 48 delay for destination arrival. Any way to turn this positive? Lufthansa claims, that cabin crew does not belong to them

Should I talk about this in another thread_?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our NEK HON on Instagram is becoming more likeable. I am gripped by his Streik Blog.

FCT won’t honour hotel vouchers for him and he says pax are peeved at LH saying it’s not “Five Star”. Lufthansa is not Five Stars he says. Is the Pope a Catholic?
chris63 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Just received a negative answer for the EU261 compensation due to a 48 delay for destination arrival. Any way to turn this positive? Lufthansa claims, that cabin crew does not belong to them

Should I talk about this in another thread_?
That’s an interesting & entertaining response, they are very creative at CS, did they mention who they think their Cabin crew do belong to ?

As said during the long running Pilots strike there was no EU261 compensation
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Our NEK HON on Instagram is becoming more likeable. I am gripped by his Streik Blog.

FCT won’t honour hotel vouchers for him and he says pax are peeved at LH saying it’s not “Five Star”. Lufthansa is not Five Stars he says. Is the Pope a Catholic?
Fabulous, thanks for sharing !

Seen this guy many times in FCT & FCL’s , how can he say LH isn’t 5* when he’s wearing all of them on his Cap.

I totally get he’s not thrilled about the Strike, who is ?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63
Fabulous, thanks for sharing !

Seen this guy many times in FCT & FCL’s , how can he say LH isn’t 5* when he’s wearing all of them on his Cap.

I totally get he’s not thrilled about the Strike, who is ?
The 5* refer to his 5* HON Lifetime tier!

He pointed out in one of his videos that many crew (predictably) decided to strike just before reporting for duty, this would explain the many further cancellations that took place on the day such as cancelling EDI-FRA three hours before departure. This was my own mantra to get away from FRA no matter if LH said my flights were operating. I was right. How many people were sleeping on the floor in FRA/MUC?

He also points out what I've been saying, that LH management should have had a plan in place since at least Monday and were proactively rebooking pax to *A and getting an agreement in place with IAG and AFKL. Oliver posted that here, but it obviously came to nothing and was far far too late.

To end up stuck in FRA when as few pax as possible should have been routed via the LH hubs on strike days is appalling. I'm guessing Mr 5* LT HON missed by posts about protected segments.

The misinformation was sheer incompetence. To put out a press release saying 1300 flights cancelled and the schedule would be done between 13:00-15:00 CET (THE DAY BEFORE). I was asked why I was fussing over the numbers? As I could see by 15:00 they had cancelled TWO SH FRA flights, the rest were long haul, so how could we get to 1300 flights? The15:00 schedule completion time was a total incompetent lie.

I and no doubt many hours were left glued to our phones and systems like EF to know when the flights would be cancelled or if LH had got off their behinds to get *A and other protection agreements in place before cancellation. We know, they failed to do any of that.

The Unions rightly target Thu and Fri for max impact because they have the highest LF across all carriers. They failed miserably to get a clear rebooking plan in place.

I never received any message, no email and no text my flight was cancelled. I was able to change my flight when I saw the cancellation on EF and still the OLCI worked on the cancelled flight!

I and Mr 5* LT HON could have been sorted out as early as Monday. There was no clear disaster plan in place. Sorting it early means people like us are not in the queue on Thursday with pax who are rightly uniformed. Taking the strain and stress of call centre staff but really prioritising the lines for pax who suffer a last minute cancellation. Remember, remote ticketing means that outstations were told to send all pax home and get them to call in. Bugger off and go home was the clear message.

I will take LH to Court in E&W for the cancelled flight compensation plus the accommodation and meals if they refuse to pay out for that and will post back how I get on. Strikes are perhaps extraordinary, but LH incompetence is increasingly NOT extraordinary.

----

My first WK prime flight. What a lovely carrier. I loved the mobile device holders in the back of the seats, great crew, tasty sandwiches and cans of tonic (alcohol is BOB). Streaming entertainment was available via Wi-FI with a WK app.

WK don't provide lounge in EDI for Gold nor C pax. I got in with PP and I saw a good few rebooked LH pax turned away (Yellow mobile BP....220 ticket). How incompetent and pathetic again. I know pax were issued lounge vouchers in some stations where the rebooking means they were no longer eligible for lounge access. Not so in EDI.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 5* refer to his 5* HON Lifetime tier!

He pointed out in one of his videos that many crew (predictably) decided to strike just before reporting for duty, this would explain the many further cancellations that took place on the day such as cancelling EDI-FRA three hours before departure. This was my own mantra to get away from FRA no matter if LH said my flights were operating. I was right. How many people were sleeping on the floor in FRA/MUC?

He also points out what I've been saying, that LH management should have had a plan in place since at least Monday and were proactively rebooking pax to *A and getting an agreement in place with IAG and AFKL. Oliver posted that here, but it obviously came to nothing and was far far too late.

To end up stuck in FRA when as few pax as possible should have been routed via the LH hubs on strike days is appalling. I'm guessing Mr 5* LT HON missed by posts about protected segments.

The misinformation was sheer incompetence. To put out a press release saying 1300 flights cancelled and the schedule would be done between 13:00-15:00 CET (THE DAY BEFORE). I was asked why I was fussing over the numbers? As I could see by 15:00 they had cancelled TWO SH FRA flights, the rest were long haul, so how could we get to 1300 flights? The15:00 schedule completion time was a total incompetent lie.

I and no doubt many hours were left glued to our phones and systems like EF to know when the flights would be cancelled or if LH had got off their behinds to get *A and other protection agreements in place before cancellation. We know, they failed to do any of that.

The Unions rightly target Thu and Fri for max impact because they have the highest LF across all carriers. They failed miserably to get a clear rebooking plan in place.

I never received any message, no email and no text my flight was cancelled. I was able to change my flight when I saw the cancellation on EF and still the OLCI worked on the cancelled flight!

I and Mr 5* LT HON could have been sorted out as early as Monday. There was no clear disaster plan in place. Sorting it early means people like us are not in the queue on Thursday with pax who are rightly uniformed. Taking the strain and stress of call centre staff but really prioritising the lines for pax who suffer a last minute cancellation. Remember, remote ticketing means that outstations were told to send all pax home and get them to call in. Bugger off and go home was the clear message.

I will take LH to Court in E&W for the cancelled flight compensation plus the accommodation and meals if they refuse to pay out for that and will post back how I get on. Strikes are perhaps extraordinary, but LH incompetence is increasingly.
Yes,
Not LH’s finest hour & nothing like what one ought to expect from a 5* airline ( allegedly )
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The incompetence... I have no words!!!

Has anyone else received the cancellation message (edit) FOUR days after the fact? Link is dead too

Last edited by hugolover; Nov 10, 2019 at 6:10 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
The incompetence... I have no words!!!

Has anyone else received the cancellation message (edit) FOUR days after the fact? Link is dead too
Not only that. Also several rebookings although I reached my final destination already days ago
Famous IT!
hugolover likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed. How some members struggle to criticise Helga's handling of this is beyond my comprehension as a victim of her incompetence.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Yes, I received a SMS message, 2 days after my cancelled flight. However, I rebooked onto an itinerary that was better for me, and with better timings. I could not be happier ^. Well done LH for managing the strikes so well . My call was answered within 2 minutes also (via the CH line).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.