Best LH longhaul Business class

Old Jun 16, 19, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott G, Hilton G, SPG G
Best LH longhaul Business class

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, but I could not find it.

Looking to book a return from FRA to IAH. There are multiple connections all at the same price and reasonable times allowing me to take the 747-8, 747-4, A350, A340 or A330. The A380 direct to IAH is cost prohibitive on the intended day of travel. Is there a preferred bird for business class? If its the 747 - upper deck or, if in the 747-4, the front most nose seats? As this will be a day flight, I am looking for the most unique and fun experience and to try a new plane.

Final question - could leave one day later and burn an additional vacation day to score the A380, worth it? There are also UA alternatives on each day if UA is considered a better product, though none would guarantee the new Polaris seat (which I have already experienced anyway).

Thanks for feedback and please point me to the correct thread. I found individual plane threads but nothing comparing them.
Old Jun 16, 19, 12:44 pm

The A350s are pretty new and are really silent compared to the other models. Other than that, I might choose the 747-4 for the unique experience. The 747-8 and the A380 both have a higher class (First), so being in the highest class is another advantage as you get the most experienced and senior FAs in Business instead of First. I would go for the A350 with a bulkhead seat so that you have lots of legroom.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: LX HON, AFKL Platinum, BA Gold->Blue again
Seats and just about everything else are all the same. Pick the most convenient times and best connecting airports, and then go for the longest flight eastbound to maximize sleep, unless you are very keen on flying an aircraft that wont be around much longer (B744) or is only flown by a handful of airlines (B748).

You can always try and mix LH westbound and UA eastbound, as the Polaris seat is better than LHs, but the downside is of course that its UA...

txaggiemiles likes this.
Old Jun 16, 19, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR View Post
Seats and just about everything else are all the same. Pick the most convenient times and best connecting airports, and then go for the longest flight eastbound to maximize sleep, unless you are very keen on flying an aircraft that wont be around much longer (B744) or is only flown by a handful of airlines (B748).

You can always try and mix LH westbound and UA eastbound, as the Polaris seat is better than LHs, but the downside is of course that its UA...

That is basically what I was doing. Taking UA 777 direct IAH > FRA then connecting to AMS (this is preferable IMO to the direct to AMS which leaves stupid early at 4pm or connecting in EWR and having too short an EB flight). The 777 will have about a 50% chance of the new polaris seat but I am perfectly happy in bulkhead, row 8 of the second cabin even if not a converted plane, UA service notwithstanding.

Mainly it is the flight home where I had all these options on planes I don't normally get to try (I am a UA captive). Thank you for your feedback.
Old Jun 16, 19, 10:44 pm

LH, in all fairness, may not be the most fancy J product out there as it is generally non-staggered 2-(2)-2 configured, but on the positive side is indeed one of the most consistent products out there. Regardless of the plane type, the seats will generally be the same - and service quality will be LH, I.e. in all likelihood not over the top servile, but professional, courteous and (to me) simply pleasant.
Thus, generally the type of plane will be less relevant than with carriers like UA that have varying configurations in operation.

Having said that, I like the privacy and stowage on the 748 upper deck a lot.
The 744 has the former first section nose seats with partial forward view going for it.
The 380 is a calm ride, but the cabin size is huge.
The 350 is pleasant without many specifics (screens being a bit better and headphones slightly inferior to other LH aircraft), but is said to offer the best cabin climate of all aircraft (though I appear to be quite insensitive to that). I do prefer it over 340 and 330 variants, though, if only for the novelty factor (and calmness).

Id look for the best schedule and price and then enjoy the trip as much as possible.

Last edited by sw1x; Jun 16, 19 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My vote for equipment is the 744 upstairs (no footsie unlike the 748), or possibly the nose if you've never done that before. Can't beat the 747
Old Jun 17, 19, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by findark View Post
744 upstairs (no footsie unlike the 748
No footsie is a big plus.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
No footsie is a big plus.
I did read about the footsie problems with the LH biz seat but I will be traveling as a couple so not as worried about it. Interesting to know the 744 does not have the issue, what is different about those seats?
Old Jun 17, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles View Post
I did read about the footsie problems with the LH biz seat but I will be traveling as a couple so not as worried about it. Interesting to know the 744 does not have the issue, what is different about those seats?
For reasons as unfathomable as why anyone in LH seat design thought footsie was a good idea in the first place, the 744 UD is installed as

\ \ / /

and the 748 is

/ \ / \

I think I saw an interview once that suggested it (footsie) was supposed to be a "privacy feature" since the shoulders of the pax were further apart and there is more of a table between you. I suppose that might help the aisle pax a bit, but with the window shelf the 744 config is superior. 744 UD is also smaller, which is a nicer feel.
Old Jun 17, 19, 3:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I suppose that might help the aisle pax a bit, but with the window shelf the 744 config is superior. 744 UD is also smaller, which is a nicer feel.
Im not sure about the 744 (I dont think Ive flown on the UD of 744 since it became a C cabin) but the window seats on the 748 have huge storage compartments.

The UD of the 744 has only one toilet for up to 22 passengers while the 748 has two toilets for up to 32 passengers.
sw1x likes this.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
Im not sure about the 744 (I dont think Ive flown on the UD of 744 since it became a C cabin) but the window seats on the 748 have huge storage compartments.
I meant that, because of the window shelf (same on 744 and 748), the window pax doesn't need more space, which was the argument for the "footsie" design.
Old Jun 17, 19, 11:13 pm

I meant that, because of the window shelf (same on 744 and 748), the window pax doesn't need more space, which was the argument for the "footsie" design.
Not the same stowage for window seats on 748 and 744:
748 has a (sizeable) locked compartment whereas 744 has a (relatively small) shelf only.
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: *A G, OW S, ST Elite.
I would pick anything on the A350 ahead of anything operated by another type, just so much quieter with much better air quality.
Old Jun 18, 19, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by sw1x View Post
LH, in all fairness, may not be the most fancy J product out there as it is generally non-staggered 2-(2)-2 configured, but on the positive side is indeed one of the most consistent products out there. Regardless of the plane type, the seats will generally be the same - and service quality will be LH, I.e. in all likelihood not over the top servile, but professional, courteous and (to me) simply pleasant.
Thus, generally the type of plane will be less relevant than with carriers like UA that have varying configurations in operation.

Having said that, I like the privacy and stowage on the 748 upper deck a lot.
The 744 has the former first section nose seats with partial forward view going for it.
The 380 is a calm ride, but the cabin size is huge.
The 350 is pleasant without many specifics (screens being a bit better and headphones slightly inferior to other LH aircraft), but is said to offer the best cabin climate of all aircraft (though I appear to be quite insensitive to that). I do prefer it over 340 and 330 variants, though, if only for the novelty factor (and calmness).

Id look for the best schedule and price and then enjoy the trip as much as possible.
Not to be pedantic, but the 744s had F upstairs and J in the nose.
Old Jun 18, 19, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post

Not to be pedantic, but the 744s had F upstairs and J in the nose

My bad. Indeed.

Search this Thread