Lufthansa policy regarding cancelled flights for medical reasons

Old May 27, 19, 11:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TRS but mainly flying from VCE and MXP
Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
Posts: 39
Angry Lufthansa policy regarding cancelled flights for medical reasons

Hello everybody,
months ago I found a cheap roundtrip Y ticket TRS-MUC-KIX, no change or refund possible. The one way flights were very good, as usual. Then while traveling (not in Japan but in French Polynesia) I got injured (ruptured Achille's tendon, surgery needed as soon as possible): I tried, with medical certificates, to ask Lufthansa (japanese call center) to anticipate my flight to no avail, my fare didn't permit that. Okay, thanks a lot Lufthansa... So I got a one way flight with Aeroflot NRT-SVO-VCE and returned home to get surgery. Since I'm honest, I tried to call the italian call center to tell them I was cancelling the rest of my flights because I'm already in Italy (and relagated home after surgery...), but the number is blocked by my mobile provider because it's one of those 899 numbers which impose ridiculous fees. Tried to contact them on twitter but it was absolutely useless, call center or nothing: unbelievable...
Once again, through another person, I used the japanese call center: they cancelled the rest of my ticket but I was also told that Lufthansa might ask me money because I did only part of my ticket and the one way cost (of course) more, so I should contact Lufthansa Italy about that. SURE! Not only I'm not gonna contact anybody, but I'm outraged that they would do something like this after leaving me high and dry in a very tough situation for me, when at the same time I lost quite few euros having to cut short my travel and book new flights. I know perfectly that a ruptured Achille's isn't life threatening or a super serious condition, yet again it's something with which you simply cannot continue to travel.
Suggestions? What are the actual policies on these matters?
Thanks everybody for the help!
Sputnikboy is offline  
Old May 27, 19, 11:46 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,771
Very unlikely you will hear more from LH, always a good thing to have travel insurance
Dover2Golf, Zembla, mmff and 1 others like this.
chris63 is online now  
Old May 27, 19, 11:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Posts: 3,046
I think the best advise is to ignore the whole thing for the time being.

LH tried to sue 1 (one!) customer who had long and meticulously planned to reduce the price of a premium class ticket by obvious hidden city ticketing, maybe even repeatedly. Still think LH is wrong there, but that's a different story. Your case is completely different and I am almost certain that they won't go after you in your situation.
worldclubber is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 12:16 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TRS but mainly flying from VCE and MXP
Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post
Very unlikely you will hear more from LH, always a good thing to have travel insurance
I do have travel insurance, it will not cover every single cent I spent but it's not important The bigger problem was being injured in a paradise atoll far away from anything and trying to arrange a come back which didn't take 10+ days...

Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
I think the best advise is to ignore the whole thing for the time being.

LH tried to sue 1 (one!) customer who had long and meticulously planned to reduce the price of a premium class ticket by obvious hidden city ticketing, maybe even repeatedly. Still think LH is wrong there, but that's a different story. Your case is completely different and I am almost certain that they won't go after you in your situation.
Good to hear, fair enough for me. Thanks!
Sputnikboy is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 4:44 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,771
Originally Posted by Sputnikboy View Post
I do have travel insurance, it will not cover every single cent I spent but it's not important The bigger problem was being injured in a paradise atoll far away from anything and trying to arrange a come back which didn't take 10+ days...
It is important enough for you to post here, travel insurance of the right kind would cover any eventuality for where you are going & what you are doing. LH would expect you to make proper arrangements & not expect them to cover those issues like changing a super cheap Y ticket.
Sputnikboy likes this.
chris63 is online now  
Old May 28, 19, 9:50 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TRS but mainly flying from VCE and MXP
Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post


It is important enough for you to post here, travel insurance of the right kind would cover any eventuality for where you are going & what you are doing. LH would expect you to make proper arrangements & not expect them to cover those issues like changing a super cheap Y ticket.
Fully agree, in fact I didn't complain at all about them not changing the ticket, rather I was outraged that they would try to charge me (or better .... me up) for the one way ticket knowing it was not due to a "sneaky" move. You guys have already answered on that though, so I'm okay now.
chris63 likes this.
Sputnikboy is offline  
Old May 28, 19, 11:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 3,771
Originally Posted by Sputnikboy View Post
Fully agree, in fact I didn't complain at all about them not changing the ticket, rather I was outraged that they would try to charge me (or better .... me up) for the one way ticket knowing it was not due to a "sneaky" move. You guys have already answered on that though, so I'm okay now.
Yes, your right, it would be totally wrong for LH to come after you or anyone for a one way repricing
chris63 is online now  
Old May 29, 19, 2:11 am
  #8  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,101
Out of curiousity I looked up the penalties for a 57€++ K fare for TRS-KIX published in December:

Code:
**  RULES DISPLAY  **                  TAX MAY APPLY
                                       SURCHG MAY APPLY-CK RULE
08DEC19**08DEC19/LH TRSOSA/NSP;TS/TPM ...../MPM  7605
LN FARE BASIS    OW   EUR  RT   B PEN  DATES/DAYS   AP MIN MAX R
36+KNNZJEU                   57 K NRF B31MAY E17OCT  7+ 6+  3M R
                                      O19DEC   -
FCL: KNNZJEU   TRF:  44 RULE: 1PEU BK:  K
PTC: ADT-ADULT              FTC: XPV-INST PURCH NONREF 2ND LVL
PE.PENALTIES

  CANCELLATIONS

    ANY TIME
      TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
      WAIVED FOR DEATH OF PASSENGER OR FAMILY MEMBER.
         NOTE -
          WAIVERS MUST BE EVIDENCED BY DEATH CERTIFICATE.
          REFUND PERMITTED BEFORE DEPARTURE IN CASE OF
          REJECTION OF VISA. EMBASSY STATEMENT REQUIRED.
          -----------------------------------------------
                                                  PAGE  1/ 4

          REFUND RULES APPLY PER PRICING UNIT.
          -----------------------------------------------
          WHEN COMBINING NON-REFUNDABLE FARES WITH
          REFUNDABLE FARES
          1. THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CANCELLATION CONDITION
          APPLIES TO THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT.
          2. THE HIGHEST CANCELLATION PENALTY WITHIN THE
          PRICING UNIT WILL BE CHARGED.
          -----------------------------------------------
          REFUND OF UNUSED TAXES PAID TO THIRD PARTIES
          PERMITTED.
          EXCEPT FOR TAXES THAT ARE LEGALLY NON-REFUNDABLE.
          PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGES APPLICABLE TO
          US AIRPORTS WITH TAX CODES- US/ZP/XF ARE
          REFUNDABLE
          WHEN THE FARE IS REFUNDABLE AND NON-REFUNDABLE
          WHEN THE FARE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
          GERMAN AVIATION SECURITY CHARGE IS POTENTIALLY
          REFUNDABLE FOR TRANSFER
          PASSENGERS ARRIVING FROM US/ CA OR ME HAVING
          TRANSFER IN FRA TERMINAL 1 WITH NO ADDITIONAL
                                                  PAGE  2/ 4
          SECURITY CHECK BY FEDERAL POLICE IN FRA.
          REFUND OF UNUSED YQ NOT PERMITTED.
          REFUND OF UNUSED YR NOT PERMITTED.
          THIS ALSO INCLUDES LH/LX/OS/SN DCC - DISTRIBUTION
          COST CHARGE- SHOWN AS YR ON THE TICKET.
          -----------------------------------------------
          THE OPTIONAL PAYMENT CHARGE IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
          -----------------------------------------------
          SHOULD THE FARE FOR THE ACTUAL FLOWN TRAVEL BE
          HIGHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PAID FARE AMOUNT THE
          FARE DIFFERENCE MUST BE CALCULATED.
          -----------------------------------------------
          ANY ORIGINAL NON-REFUNDABLE
          AMOUNT FROM A PREVIOUS TICKET REMAINS NON
          REFUNDABLE AND WILL BE CARRIED FORWARD TO ANY
          REISSUED/EXCHANGED TICKET.

  CHANGES

    ANY TIME
      CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.
                                                  PAGE  3/ 4

      WAIVED FOR DEATH OF FAMILY MEMBER.                                        
         NOTE -                                                                 
          REISSUE/REVALIDATION/EXCHANGE/NO-SHOW NOT                             
          PERMITTED.                                                            
          REFER TO REFUND SECTION IF APPLICABLE.                                
          -----------------------------------------------                       
          WAIVERS MUST BE EVIDENCED BY DEATH CERTIFICATE.                       
          -----------------------------------------------                       
          RULES FOR CHANGES APPLY BY FARE                                       
          COMPONENT/DIRECTION.                                                  
          -----------------------------------------------                       
          IN CASE OF FARE COMBINATION CHARGE THE HIGHEST                        
          FEE OF ALL CHANGED FARE COMPONENTS.                                   
          -----------------------------------------------                       
          IN CASE OF SUBSEQUENT REISSUE/EXCHANGE THE                            
          ORIGINAL NON-REFUNDABLE FARE - OR REFUND PENALTY                      
          AMOUNT REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE.                                        
          -----------------------------------------------                       
                                                  PAGE  4/ 4
It seems the sentence the OP got in the end of the cancellation was to cover LH from having to refund the remaining taxes and surcharges. Some of it probably lost in translation.
chris63 likes this.
oliver2002 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread