Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic flight is Lufthansa better than LOT (business)?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: miles and more
Transatlantic flight is Lufthansa better than LOT (business)?

Hi, flying WAW to JFK in business. What gives a better cabin and overall experience, a direct LOT flight, or Lufthansa with a quick change in FRA or MUC?
What option would you pick?
thanks
Old May 22, 2019, 4:16 am

LOT is fine, and a direct flight always beats a connection. LH business class is not better in any way besides I prefer the LH A380 over the LO Dreamliner.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/lot...-class-review/

If I would accept a extra connection, I'd probably do WAW-CPH-EWR on SK for a vastly superior hard product.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:59 am

It is worth bearing in mind that some of the JFK services are operated by Air Belgium (343) on behalf of LOT (this is due to the engines saga affecting the Dreamliner aircraft). All-in-all, I would go for the direct flight (LOT's product, especially when it comes to the catering, is perfectly fine).

G
Old May 22, 2019, 5:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that LOT currently has a few B787 out of service to fix the RR engines. So they are operating JFK-WAW with leased A343 operated by Air Belgium this summer. Air Belgium [wetleased for LOT] Business Class seats?

Normal LO and LH are pretty much on par, the seats are completely different, LO uses the Zodiac/Safran Aura LH has its own version of the Collings / B/E Diamond.

Some experience reports:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ts-merged.html
Lufthansa business class [merged] experience reports
Old May 23, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A reminder you can use the Elite section of the Polonez lounge as you're flying long haul J. Lounge staff might not remind you of your eligibility.

I would personally skip the Mazurek lounge in the non-Schengen side altogether and time your arrival at the gate to coincide with boarding.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hugolover
A reminder you can use the Elite section of the Polonez lounge as you're flying long haul J. Lounge staff might not remind you of your eligibility.

I would personally skip the Mazurek lounge in the non-Schengen side altogether and time your arrival at the gate to coincide with boarding.
Agreed. THe Mazurek lounge is pretty grim compared to Polonez. The only issue is that the immigration line when you leave Schengen can be unpredictable, but I've never had much of a wait.

I'm a LO fan in general. Their ground services are pretty chaotic, but once you're on board you're fine. I like the J seats, the 787 is a nice ride, and the chow has improved. They actually have the wines in the menu on board. When we had a late arrival from ORD and were making a connection at WAW the staff went out of their way to whisk us to our onward gate where boarding was almost completed, and our bags made it as well.
Old May 24, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by milepig
Agreed. THe Mazurek lounge is pretty grim compared to Polonez. The only issue is that the immigration line when you leave Schengen can be unpredictable, but I've never had much of a wait.
Seems much less of an issue now that they've rebuilt the border control area and there are many more agents available to check your documents.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Would you change LOT award to LH award?
I have a business award ticketed on LOT 787-8 for BUD-ORD-SAN. Would you swap it for LH (or UA), for a better business class experience, but adding a 2nd connection, BUD-MUC-XXX-SAN ? Just wondering if it is worth an additional connection to avoid LOT business.

Last edited by Alan6557; Jun 9, 2019 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: LO
Nope. I would swap it for BUD-FRA-SFO-SAN if possible to avoid ORD-SAN on UA and stay on A380.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You'll be really fed and watered on LOT. So if you like to have a good bev and enjoy your food its quite nice. Definitely better than LH. The MUC lounges are better as UA Gold, but who cares when you're flying long haul C and there's no champagne unlike in WAW.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: LO
the best route would be WAW-LAX-SAN LO+UA if possible.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mario_s
the best route would be WAW-LAX-SAN LO+UA if possible.
I'm considering that, but my routing would be BUD-WAW-LAX-SAN.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm doing LAX to KRK, and have options between LH 747/8 through Frankfurt or LH 380/800 through Muc or LOT 787/800 through WAW. It may be availability that dictates the choice, but if times and availability were equal, which would use choose.

We are a couple and mostly care about seat comfort. Also have access to Senator lounge in FRA or MUC if that matters.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I'm doing LAX to KRK, and have options between LH 747/8 through Frankfurt or LH 380/800 through Muc or LOT 787/800 through WAW. It may be availability that dictates the choice, but if times and availability were equal, which would use choose.

We are a couple and mostly care about seat comfort. Also have access to Senator lounge in FRA or MUC if that matters.
Both of LH and LO feature 2-2(-2) seating. I continue to favour LH 748 on the upper deck, which is quiet and feels very private. There, seating is only 2-2. The lack of throne seats or direct aisle access for the window seat should not be too bothersome as you travel as a couple. I far prefer LH lounges (even in FRA where lounges tend to be big (a few exceptions like the former F-, now C-lounge above A26 or the new Panorama C-lounge at A26 on gate level, which is large, but has lots of smaller sections and different (feeling) catering from the other lounges (more biased on wraps and sandwiches)) over LO lounges in WAW.

For me preferences would be 1. LH 748 Upper Deck, 2. LH A388, 3. LO 788.
East_and_West likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan

The products are sufficiently similar not to really be a deciding factor. Comes down to schedule and connection. I'd avoid FRA as connecting there can be grim
East_and_West likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.