Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ways to transfer into SWISS FF program for upgrade to F?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Ways to transfer into SWISS FF program for upgrade to F?

I have been exploring ways to transfer or attain points to upgrade from paid business to first on a Zurich to Los Angeles flight in October The fare basis is (P).
I have read many threads and rules - but not clear if there is a way to achieve this.
I am currently not a member of Miles and More and as to *A only UAL and Asiana - but have less than 50K miles on either one.
I have large miles balances on AMEX, Asia Miles, AA, Citi Rewards. Also balances in Bonvoy Marriott, Chase rewards and Citi Rewards.
The UAL miles do not allow for an upgrade from (P) fare. If I read the Miles and More Program correctly, I would need 70,000 (50,000 + 20,000) to upgrade from a P fare to First on that segment, but not entirely sure.
I could join Miles and More and get started with 50,000 by getting the Miles and More Barclays card. I can likely charge 20K spend in a short time if unable to find a path to transfer the points from my programs
Then there is the question of being able to actually upgrade to F on my flight . I have no status with *A. I see two seats are occupied on the seat Map on Expertflyer.

From what I read, the airport upgrade is about $2K for this segment - probably not worth it. I already paid $299 for a throne seat in BIZ.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread may be of interest---> How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

If your flight day or night?
Upgrades are not guaranteed
Can you upfare from P to ?? with cash (so a better chance of upgrade)
If you move cc points to M & M you may/will end up with orphan ff miles, that will expire if not used
Old May 21, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments Mwenenzi

The flight is daytime - their only nonstop ZRH-LAX on the day I am traveling is LX40 Departs 1:10 PM arrives 5:20 PM

I had read the thread you suggested - but can't upgrade from P fare with UAL miles. I cannot upfare the P fare for this segment alone - it is part of an itinerary that includes multiple flights (most on Austrian) and this is the only segment that has metal with F.

If the points go unused I guess I have a couple of years to use them on a partner such as UAL or maybe be able to extend expiration by a yearly charge on the credit card.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
You can only upgrade to Swiss F if you are a M&M HON or SEN
Old May 21, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KP2006
So even if you have a higher Business fare than P, such as J, and if you have the M&M points, they limit the ability to upgrade to only HON or SEN?

The M&M Website - on Swiss redemption shown the upgrade from (P) to flights to North America is 70K - I could not find the limitation tho HON or SEN. Thanks

Last edited by traveler18; May 21, 2019 at 7:14 pm Reason: added image
Old May 21, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by KP2006
This is wrong. That rule applies to award tickets, not upgrades.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC1
This is wrong. That rule applies to award tickets, not upgrades.
That is the way I read their upgrade chart (above). I know that with status my priority is very low - Assuming I have the 70K points in the account and there is room day of departure, will they allow the miles to be used as an instant redemption (they way Cathay allows is at the airport) ? Thanks
Old May 22, 2019, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by traveler18
That is the way I read their upgrade chart (above). I know that with status my priority is very low - Assuming I have the 70K points in the account and there is room day of departure, will they allow the miles to be used as an instant redemption (they way Cathay allows is at the airport) ? Thanks
Yes, with miles in an M&M account you could upgrade up to & on the day at airport, subject to availability but on that route you would need a lot of luck
Old May 22, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Generally west coast to ZRH in F will be very difficult to get. Even HONs and SENs with apparent privileged access to these seats have a hard time.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sophialite
Generally west coast to ZRH in F will be very difficult to get. Even HONs and SENs with apparent privileged access to these seats have a hard time.
Totally agree with sophialite. ZRH-LAX is a route where the F cabin is fully booked very often. You can use expertflyer to check if booking class A is still available. If A0, then your chances are close to zero. My upgrade requests on this route sometimes clear (often after waitlisting), even if requested >6 months in advance (and with at least A4) and as a LX SEN (which I believe gives me somewhat higher priority).
I am also not sure if you are refunded for the Throne seat charges, if you upgrade.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the insights. I may just get the credit card. See little downside. 50k points and will charge 20 by then. I am sure if the upgrade does not happen I will find some use for the 70 k points
Old May 22, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by traveler18
Thanks to all for the insights. I may just get the credit card. See little downside. 50k points and will charge 20 by then. I am sure if the upgrade does not happen I will find some use for the 70 k points
Good luck, let us know if it works
Old May 22, 2019, 10:27 am

I wonder if the fee for the seat would be refunded if the upgrade clears. I didn't easily find the T&Cs on that but considering SWISS' piggish approach to these seats to begin with, I bet it's safe to assume you don't get a refund. $300 for the seat plus the P ticket plus 70000 points seems totally out of whack i.e. you may have been better off paying for A -- but that's in the eye of the beholder.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Yup just pay for A at that point assuming it's a decent price.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC1
I wonder if the fee for the seat would be refunded if the upgrade clears. I didn't easily find the T&Cs on that but considering SWISS' piggish approach to these seats to begin with, I bet it's safe to assume you don't get a refund. $300 for the seat plus the P ticket plus 70000 points seems totally out of whack i.e. you may have been better off paying for A -- but that's in the eye of the beholder.
"A" was not an option on the segment for the combined ticket for the various segments. I tried before issuing, and would have had to purchase a bunch of one ways for a ridiculous price, Based on the low probability of the upgrade, I decided not to apply for a credit card I do not need. I guess the throne seat will be fine. I have not travelled on Swiss F in a very long time and remember it was excellent, so wanted to use it on the segment, and compare it to CX (as I suspect it exceeds BA and AA).

If at the time of the flight they are selling upgrades I will consider it - if they will refund the $299 for the throne and charge the $2K I understand is the going rate for the upgrade on the segment, that puts is at $1,700 - not sure if worth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.