Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

German customer sues for cash equivalent of miles, M&M suspends hotel point transfers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

German customer sues for cash equivalent of miles, M&M suspends hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lipsum
Usually, "money" is defined as something that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services (and for the settlement of tax obligations).

In practice, "generally accepted" in interpreted with some lenience. So it doen't mean universally accepted or something. But, for instance, if there's a chip on your employee ID on which you can store money to use for nothing but the firm's cafeterias and other in-house shops, that's not considered money.

I think the lawyer's argument that M&M miles are broadly accepted has little merit. I see LH's reaction as a precautionary measure. Even if their chance of losing is fairly small, there's so much money at stake that they do it.
the legal question is not whether or not this is money but whether miles are e-money under the relevant act. This is a bit more complex than the definition you are referring to.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by lipsum
Usually, "money" is defined as something that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services (and for the settlement of tax obligations).

In practice, "generally accepted" in interpreted with some lenience. So it doen't mean universally accepted or something. But, for instance, if there's a chip on your employee ID on which you can store money to use for nothing but the firm's cafeterias and other in-house shops, that's not considered money.

I think the lawyer's argument that M&M miles are broadly accepted has little merit. I see LH's reaction as a precautionary measure. Even if their chance of losing is fairly small, there's so much money at stake that they do it.
The problem is related to buying points. According to the BaFin (Germany´s Federal Financial Supervisory Authority) points/miles program are not considered e-money as long as the user can not buy the miles/points. The lawyer´s argument is that, even though Lufthansa Miles&More does not sell points to you, they sell it to other third parties, where you, as a user, can buy them. So basically, Lufthansa Miles&More is selling, indirectly, miles to the end-user.

Now, if it turns out that miles from Miles&More are e-money, then users have the right to claim them in Euros (the BaFin has two exceptions to them: meal vouchers and money on prepaid sim/phone, where users are not allowed to claim the value in Eur).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
I appreciate that this, at the moment, is a German issue (who is to stop similar concerns arising in other jurisdictions, though), but how come only LH MM seems to be taking precautionary measures? I would assume any other program operating in the German market (which could theoretically be any similar program with Germany-based customers and trading partners) would be subject to the same restrictions...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:34 am

I think the lawsuit is a very long shot. As posted above, one thing they would have to prove is that miles are to be considered e-money which is a stretch.

But M&M is the largest points program in Europe. In the unlikely event this lawsuit was successful, LH would have to re-appraise the outstanding mileage for its financial accounting. That wouldn't be pretty to put it mildly. So I think that's the rationale why they're being cautious. Not even speaking of the follow-up lawsuits. So it's a low-probability event but if it realizes the damage will be quite big.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:40 am

Yes, big risk for LH. My guess is the lawyer looked at what happened in the last case (in 2013, LH lost in a lower court, then won in the Oberlandesgericht Köln (regional) court, and then settled before it went to the Bundesgerichtshof (Federal Supreme Court)). I'm pretty sure the settlement included legal costs, so if something similar happens this time it is win-win for the lawyer (plus some publicity).

Unfortunately, this lawyer has the the potential to ruin things for the rest of us.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: LH SEN
So I'm just catching up on this whole story after finding out the hard way that my points are now trapped in Hilton Honours.

It was really nice of M&M to notify us of this by putting out that prominent press release when the change happened. Oh, you don't remember the PR? THAT'S BECAUSE THERE WASN'T ONE.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Yes, big risk for LH. My guess is the lawyer looked at what happened in the last case (in 2013, LH lost in a lower court, then won in the Oberlandesgericht Köln (regional) court, and then settled before it went to the Bundesgerichtshof (Federal Supreme Court)). I'm pretty sure the settlement included legal costs, so if something similar happens this time it is win-win for the lawyer (plus some publicity).

Unfortunately, this lawyer has the the potential to ruin things for the rest of us.
legal costs granted by a court in Germany is nothing to write home about. We are not the US.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Is this related to the big (€300m or thereabouts) tax provision they made? If not, what is that for?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:34 am

Unhappy Hotel point transfers...

Any idea if/when LH will reinstate or reenable hotel point transfers to miles? More specifically, I'm curious about Marriott.

Last edited by ohiosux; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by ohiosux
Any idea if/when LH will reinstate or reenable hotel point transfers to miles? More specifically, I'm curious about Marriott.
Not anytime soon, whilst there is a court case pending regarding the ‘value’ of said miles & we all know how fast the courts work.
ohiosux likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: LH SEN
It's worse for Hilton because you can't directly earn M&M miles so you can only get their points which remain trapped.

At least most other properties still allow direct earn of miles even if conversions are blocked.

Oh, and someone should tell the M&M helpdesk. I have a ticket open with them and they just keep cutting and pasting a stale FAQ answer at me
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I had understood that Melia was back on, but it might have been a badly worded email that I got. I think the hotel programmes aren't sure how to handle it, so they're just bumbling on while hoping it all sorts itself out.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by tobsw
The problem is related to buying points. According to the BaFin (Germany´s Federal Financial Supervisory Authority) points/miles program are not considered e-money as long as the user can not buy the miles/points. The lawyer´s argument is that, even though Lufthansa Miles&More does not sell points to you, they sell it to other third parties, where you, as a user, can buy them. So basically, Lufthansa Miles&More is selling, indirectly, miles to the end-user.

Now, if it turns out that miles from Miles&More are e-money, then users have the right to claim them in Euros (the BaFin has two exceptions to them: meal vouchers and money on prepaid sim/phone, where users are not allowed to claim the value in Eur).
One can purchase award points from AAdvantage (e.g., "for real cash" ), so IF this were happening with AA instead of LH, would something like an average purchase price be used?
(We haven't "needed" to do this yet, but it's nice to know that we could, if necessary.)

Also, are there other FF programs where one can just "buy" the points?

GC
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:42 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
A3 FFP: you can buy both awards and status miles. BA FFP: you can buy Avios (award miles). And probably a lot of others.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I get offers from UA to buy miles all the time. Hyatt also sells points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.