FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Premium Econom is cheaper than Econom (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1966539-premium-econom-cheaper-than-econom.html)

ashuba Apr 22, 2019 11:31 pm

Premium Econom is cheaper than Econom

Just bought at LH website Premium Econom ticket that is even cheaper than Econom.
The flight is ORD-KBP-ORD. Return flight is KBP-VIE-ORD that is operated by Austrian. And that Premium Econom ticket costs me 703$ but Econom ticket price is 833$.
My question is why it could happen and why LH proposed me such strange prices yesterday? Though I checked LH today and all looks good, Econom price is still 833$ but Premium Econom is 1350$

May be it is a obvious case but I am a newbie)

fifty_two Apr 23, 2019 2:24 am

Originally Posted by ashuba (Post 31027635)
Just bought at LH website Premium Econom ticket that is even cheaper than Econom.
The flight is ORD-KBP-ORD. Return flight is KBP-VIE-ORD that is operated by Austrian. And that Premium Econom ticket costs me 703$ but Econom ticket price is 833$.
My question is why it could happen and why LH proposed me such strange prices yesterday? Though I checked LH today and all looks good, Econom price is still 833$ but Premium Econom is 1350$

May be it is a obvious case but I am a newbie)

Its not an unusual behaviour , and this question is not obvious

while many factors need to be considered , its mostly a question of supply and demand , maybe economy is almost full on 1 or more flights of your journey then LH ask for more money , however premium economy may not be full

You need to check what are the prices for other ''normal dates'' during the entire year , then you will see if theses prices are regular or not

SK AAR Apr 23, 2019 2:37 am

USD 700 for Prem Eco US-Europe is a steal IMO.

Nic33 Apr 23, 2019 3:41 am

Very cheap indeed. If you bought it, you got a good deal.

Key8 Apr 23, 2019 5:23 am

I think you also need to compare flexibilities.
Swiss sometimes offers Business cheaper than Eco (within Europe) - if you look at the details Eco is changeable, while Business is not...

scottishpoet Apr 23, 2019 6:46 am

What can happen is the discounted, restricted economy tickets leaving only higher priced, less restrictive economy tickets available.
However the PE restricted tickets have not sold out hence they are cheaper and less flexible than what is for sale in economy.

ashuba Apr 23, 2019 10:45 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two (Post 31027907)
Its not an unusual behaviour , and this question is not obvious

while many factors need to be considered , its mostly a question of supply and demand , maybe economy is almost full on 1 or more flights of your journey then LH ask for more money , however premium economy may not be full

You need to check what are the prices for other ''normal dates'' during the entire year , then you will see if theses prices are regular or not

I dont think that it is a question of supply and demand because I bought ticket in advance, 65 days before flight

ashuba Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am

Sorry cant post screenshot, it is very interesting

ashuba Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am

Oh, but now I can. Let me share it

Nick Art Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm

It happens sometimes.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7830ac56c.jpeg

PS: Out of curiosity: Do you have any quarrel with the letter Y?

Srklaw7 Apr 23, 2019 11:19 pm

I have been looking fom premium economy flights in the fall and have not been able to find anything under $1300 from LAX to Europe

Nic33 Apr 24, 2019 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Srklaw7 (Post 31031419)
I have been looking fom premium economy flights in the fall and have not been able to find anything under $1300 from LAX to Europe

$1300 is a reasonnable price already.

ashuba Apr 24, 2019 9:16 am

Today LH has set usual PE price for Austrian operated flight but decreases price for LH operated PE ticket on my original flight

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a6fa01fd11.png

ashuba Apr 24, 2019 9:21 am

One more interesting point.

I was able to reserve any PE seat when I purchased extra cheap PE ticket.
So I guess that no PE tickets were sold at the moment (except my one)

flyingfkb Apr 26, 2019 12:59 am

Nothing unusual. I had business trips where the restricted business class ticket was cheaper than the fully flexible economy ticket. Especially the fully flexible economy tickets are very expansive and sometimes the only economy fare bucket left.