FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   TATL flights arrival gates and subsequent security check at FRA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1965639-tatl-flights-arrival-gates-subsequent-security-check-fra.html)

NightFly Apr 16, 2019 3:56 am

TATL flights arrival gates and subsequent security check at FRA

Until recently, I though that common practice at FRA was that US flights disembark at Z gates and connecting pax can proceed to A without a security check (which is not the case for LatAm flights, where transfer security always takes place, even between Z and A). A few days ago, my US flight was parked at B20´s and that inevitably meant a transfer security, as there is no way from non-schengen B´s to A´s without a security check? The same question goes to UK flights - was surprised to have to clear security connecting from a LHR flight? Was this rather an exception or is this a new enhancement of connexion experience at FRA?

ISTFlyer Apr 16, 2019 5:09 am

Originally Posted by NightFly (Post 31005567)
Until recently, I though that common practice at FRA was that US flights disembark at Z gates and connecting pax can proceed to A without a security check (which is not the case for LatAm flights, where transfer security always takes place, even between Z and A). A few days ago, my US flight was parked at B20´s and that inevitably meant a transfer security, as there is no way from non-schengen B´s to A´s without a security check? The same question goes to UK flights - was surprised to have to clear security connecting from a LHR flight? Was this rather an exception or is this a new enhancement of connexion experience at FRA?

As I mentioned in another LH M&M thread, there was a new transfer bus from gate Z11 to B20 that was probably, being tried in both directions during my visit in March. However, to access this bus for a T1B N/S arrival, there should be an employee opening the ground level door at B gates and you definitely wouldn't need to go upstairs just after arrival at the jetbridge. In the past, I have arrived from BOS to T1B back in 2015 and only B gate pax was allowed through; however, this year, things should have changed. That was my last time arriving from a clear destination to T1B so I won't be able to report a recent experience. However, in Terminal 1B, there was no signs for the transfer bus but there was a Fraport employee waiting at the shuttle bus departure point.

flugvergnugen Apr 16, 2019 7:54 am

The "problem" is that in non-Schengen B all arriving passengers (OSS and non-OSS) are funneled through a common arrival path (OSS is 'one-stop security', i.e, no extra security needed downstream after 1st check). The minute you mingle pax arriving from OSS countries (e.g., USA, Canada) with pax arriving from non-OSS countries (e.g. India), everybody has to be screened again. They have not set up a way in non-Schengen B to segregate OSS arrivals from non-OSS arrivals.

NewbieRunner Apr 16, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen (Post 31006124)
The "problem" is that in non-Schengen B all arriving passengers (OSS and non-OSS) are funneled through a common arrival path (OSS is 'one-stop security', i.e, no extra security needed downstream after 1st check). The minute you mingle pax arriving from OSS countries (e.g., USA, Canada) with pax arriving from non-OSS countries (e.g. India), everybody has to be screened again. They have not set up a way in non-Schengen B to segregate OSS arrivals from non-OSS arrivals.

Exactly! As far as I know B20 is a special gate which can be used as a non-Schengen or Schengen gate (B19) and allow arriving passengers to be kept in secure area.

The other exception I know of are continuing SQ passengers from the US and Singapore (both OSS countries). I believe they are funnelled through to secure/departure area after deplaning and do not need to go through security before boarding the same aircraft.

AC passengers from Canada (yet another OSS country) are not so lucky. They (like arrivals from the UK) can’t enter the terminal without mixing with non-OSS arrivals.

chris63 Apr 16, 2019 10:43 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 31006728)
Exactly! As far as I know B20 is a special gate which can be used as a non-Schengen or Schengen gate (B19) and allow arriving passengers to be kept in secure area.

The other exception I know of are continuing SQ passengers from the US and Singapore (both OSS countries). I believe they are funnelled through to secure/departure area after deplaning and do not need to go through security before boarding the same aircraft.

AC passengers from Canada (yet another OSS country) are not so lucky. They (like arrivals from the UK) can’t enter the terminal without mixing with non-OSS arrivals.

Exactly, one has to wonder what the FRAPORT powers that be are smoking :rolleyes:

Nic33 Apr 17, 2019 1:52 am

According to my experience, it is unfortunately a regular occurence to be directed to B gates after a TATL.

ISTFlyer Apr 17, 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Nic33 (Post 31009231)
According to my experience, it is unfortunately a regular occurence to be directed to B gates after a TATL.

My last two TATL experience on LH to FRA ended up in Z gates. For the last time, even though the aircraft's next flight was to Beijing, we were unloaded at gate Z58 and then the aircraft was towed to B gates for its next flight. They were both morning arrivals before 08:00.