Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most expensive LH/LX F fare you've ever paid?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
BTW—this is the same argument used for why C-suites fly private. The CEO of McDonalds’s time is worth that much more per hour to the company.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
Originally Posted by sophialite

When you’re CEO, regardless of whether your time is literally billable, every waking hour of your life is one in which you can enhance revenue or minimize cost. If your company has achieved the scale to afford this kind of travel, that extra three hours you spent positioning to save $2k off an F fare could’ve been used to generate much more in revenues for your company.

My partner is the founder of a company. If her investors found that she was making this trade off, they would rightfully wonder if she was the right person for the job. Not really the best use of her time, even if she can’t subdivide her time into billable units or invoice a client.
Unfortunately I’m not that successful and luckily do not have any investors, all my investments are made with my own money. Despite all that I still have enough money to fly F whenever I wish without having to ask for permission to spend an extra 3-4 hours when I’m travelling.
chris63 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by milfweed20

Unfortunately I’m not that successful and luckily do not have any investors, all my investments are made with my own money. Despite all that I still have enough money to fly F whenever I wish without having to ask for permission to spend an extra 3-4 hours when I’m travelling.
It’s irrelevant whether you have to ask permission. You like money (I assume, because you seem to have an affinity for nice things), but you don’t see the trade off between saving $2k per hour vs potentially getting that much more per hour.

Again, interesting trade off. But you’re super successful and independent, so you probably know something I don’t.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

It’s irrelevant whether you have to ask permission. You like money (I assume, because you seem to have an affinity for nice things), but you don’t see the trade off between saving $2k per hour vs potentially getting that much more per hour.

Again, interesting trade off. But you’re super successful and independent, so you probably know something I don’t.
You stand correct. I like money!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: LH HON

No question that lawyers and consultants are useless. But you don’t have to be on the billable hour to know how much you value your time. And if you’re the CEO of a company with sufficient revenues to support premium travel of this time, I’d argue that your time on an hourly basis is worth much more than $2k.
i‘m a consultant but i try not to take offense
milfweed20 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by milfweed20
Not exactly the point I was trying to make. Obviously you need a good financial situation in order to regularly fly F, but what I meant is someone like me who has enough free time to lose 5 or 6 hours when I'm travelling, if that means I can save enough on the flight fare to invest in other components of the trip like hotels and restaurants, I'll do it.

Also when I'm valuing my time I don't do it big corporation style, where you're always charging a lot of hours a week to the clients or something similar to look very busy and therefore artificially increase your hourly wage, I regularly work a lot less hours than those jobs and make more than others I know who work those jobs. As you already said once, quality over quantity.
well. Depends on your reasons to fly F. For me it is about comfort, sleep and privacy. If it takes me an extra uncomfortable sleepless 5-6 hours, I might as well just fly business for less?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by daumueller

i‘m a consultant but i try not to take offense
I used to be a lawyer. Takes a lot of courage to recognize one's own uselessness :-)
pilatusguy, SFO777 and milfweed20 like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:03 am

well. Depends on your reasons to fly F. For me it is about comfort, sleep and privacy. If it takes me an extra uncomfortable sleepless 5-6 hours, I might as well just fly business for less?
100% this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

I have a tough time sleeping in J cabins and that is one of the reason why I’m switching from flying long-haul J to long-haul F. Since I travel by myself 90% of the time I really value the privacy that an F cabin usually provides.

I also don’t live in any major city, so I will always have to make some sort of connection anyway. There’s not a lot of extra hustle for me anyway.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:28 am

I used to be a lawyer. Takes a lot of courage to recognize one's own uselessness :-)
touché
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:19 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Are you talking one-way or return fares? To me this detail seems to be somewhat relevant.

HTB.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:58 am

I would assume return unless specified otherwise. To be fair, my one one-way F revenue ticket was far from my cheapest (around $6k).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
Are you talking one-way or return fares? To me this detail seems to be somewhat relevant.

HTB.
Return fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.