Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH778 FRA-SIN 10APR - allowed to take off after curfew?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
LH778 FRA-SIN 10APR - allowed to take off after curfew?

It seems that for the past days LH778 has been delayed (operated by A380). On 9 April the a/c come in too late from PVG to operate LH778 to SIN before the curfew and the dept. was postponed until the following morning (took off as LH778D at 07:34 om 10APR). Obviously, LH779 the was impacted by this and arrived late into FRA yesterday morning. Last night, the depart. of LH778 was late again, however, this time it appears that the a/c was allowed to take off at 23:20, i,e. after the curfew at FRA.

I don't understand the inconsistency and certainly not why apparently a true exception was made for LH778 last night allowing it to take off after the curfew?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It seems that for the past days LH778 has been delayed (operated by A380). On 9 April the a/c come in too late from PVG to operate LH778 to SIN before the curfew and the dept. was postponed until the following morning (took off as LH778D at 07:34 om 10APR). Obviously, LH779 the was impacted by this and arrived late into FRA yesterday morning. Last night, the depart. of LH778 was late again, however, this time it appears that the a/c was allowed to take off at 23:20, i,e. after the curfew at FRA.

I don't understand the inconsistency and certainly not why apparently a true exception was made for LH778 last night allowing it to take off after the curfew?
while I have no information about the specific incident, there are a couple of (usually weather related) exceptions every year. last year during a rather heavy rain period, I was on FRA-NUE which took off at 23:07 and there were 5 or 6 behind us which also left FRA that night.

So while it rarely happens, there are ways to get around the curfew.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
The curfew is clear no go in my opinion. If you live close to an airport you have to accept flight noise emissions.
That's also why the rents are cheaper. Can't understand those people who are consistently complaining about that. None of them woke up in the morning and all of a sudden an airport was there.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
I was onboard LH778 on April 10 and we indeed took off at 23.20hrs.
First, a passenger requested to leave the plane for medical reasons (ambulance was waiting) and after his luggage was unloaded there was only one runway operating because of heavy winds, obviously causing a huge backlog. I overheard crew chatter and they were indeed saying that we were lucky to have departed so late.
mevr likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for shedding some light on the this. Apparently, the delay was totally out of control of LH and it may be reason why an exemption was made - it certainly makes sense - or to put it differently, if wouldn't make sense to order a fully loaded and prepared for take off A380 back to the gate and for all pax to disembark, hotel rooms to be provided etc. only to take off the following morning.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: LH HON
Thank you for shedding some light on the this. Apparently, the delay was totally out of control of LH and it may be reason why an exemption was made - it certainly makes sense - or to put it differently, if wouldn't make sense to order a fully loaded and prepared for take off A380 back to the gate and for all pax to disembark, hotel rooms to be provided etc. only to take off the following morning.
well, this (sending an airplane ready to go back to the gate because of curfew) happens regularly
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by daumueller

well, this (sending an airplane ready to go back to the gate because of curfew) happens regularly
All too often
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:24 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I was onboard LH778 on April 10 and we indeed took off at 23.20hrs.
First, a passenger requested to leave the plane for medical reasons (ambulance was waiting) and after his luggage was unloaded there was only one runway operating because of heavy winds, obviously causing a huge backlog. I overheard crew chatter and they were indeed saying that we were lucky to have departed so late.
It could be that with the current situation with runways they are more flexible with the curfew. As runway 18 is out of action due to the northerlies we are having since a few days, there are delays.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

and it continues

11APR LH778 was cancelled/postponed until 11:49 the following morning (arrived SIN at LH778D at 06:10 on 13APR) and obviously, 12APR LH779 had to postponed as well (took of from SIN as LH779D on 13APR at 08:03).

Pretty bad track record lately for SIN (admittedly, the last 2 days LH778 seems to have left on time). Luckily, LH has a flight to MUC and LX to ZRH (and SQ to FRA, MUC and ZRH) so rebooking should be have been possible.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
11APR LH778 was cancelled/postponed until 11:49 the following morning (arrived SIN at LH778D at 06:10 on 13APR) and obviously, 12APR LH779 had to postponed as well (took of from SIN as LH779D on 13APR at 08:03).

Pretty bad track record lately for SIN (admittedly, the last 2 days LH778 seems to have left on time). Luckily, LH has a flight to MUC and LX to ZRH (and SQ to FRA, MUC and ZRH) so rebooking should be have been possible.
Really poor maybe LH are still a A380 short due to tech...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
The curfew is clear no go in my opinion. If you live close to an airport you have to accept flight noise emissions.
That's also why the rents are cheaper. Can't understand those people who are consistently complaining about that. None of them woke up in the morning and all of a sudden an airport was there.
To be frank, this is bs.

Airports grow over time. Some, like FRA, grow a lot. They built additional runways. The number of flight movements goes up. Etc.

Whole areas around FRA which had very little flight noise ten or twenty years ago now have a lot of noise pollution. No surprise considering flight movements in FRA have gone up almost 100% over the last 25 years. Also, an additional runway opened in 2011 (that alone increased capacity by around 50% because, for the first time in FRA, parallel approaches became possible). Entry paths were tweaked multiple times with resulting geographic changes in the noise pollution. Etc.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:12 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Did you check the rent of housing close to the airport?

Did you consider that the airport was not what it is today when peoaple moved there 30 years asgo? Especially the opening of a new runway can considerably change and extend the noise carpet that was accepted when moving there. And there were probably no flights during these hours either.

And how close is close? There's noise in a large area around the airport. Even 30 km away you can still hear the planes if their route takes them overhead.

The curfew really sucks -- but considering that the airport is surrounded by villages and cities that have existed since long before the airport, it's completely justified.

HTB.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:24 am

I have a friend (pilot with LH passage) stationed in FRA. He said they get in a lot of trouble if they don’t have wheels up by the curfew getting in effect. Actually phones start to ring at FRA with complaints filed as soon as a plane takes off even a minute after 11pm.

Actually I had the 380 FRA-JNB cancelled while I was on it. Taxing to the runway we had a medical emergency and were parked to evacuate the passenger. All of that took long enough that anther deicing run was necessary. By the time we were at the runway the captain came on and said... sorry, need to return to the gate.

sucks, but that’s life.

Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
I sincerely hope you will get to enjoy living in a busy airport's approach for part of your life. Aircraft noise does make people sick and no fewer than 250.000 residents around Frankfurt airport suffer from aircraft noise. It is fair to give them a break at night and the curfew is essential for that.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:17 pm

April 17 LH779 was cancelled. LH778 arrived on time (landed 7min late according to flightradar24).
Any one know the reason for the cancellation ? I am taking this route next week. The trend is quite worrying.

Last edited by BrianUA800; Apr 17, 2019 at 9:18 pm Reason: mis type

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.