Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is a LH F good deal in price per hour?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
What is a LH F good deal in price per hour?

Hey guys, sorry if this topic has been addressed in the past, but I tried to search and was not able to find anything...

I know this can be a very controversial topic, because it is route-dependent, but assuming you have flexibility, regarding the location where you start your route and the time of the year you are flying, what would you say you consider a deal flying LH F (in price per hour of flight time)?

My goal with this topic is to gather more data points on the F fares from LH, as I've only started actively looking for them for the last year and have been positively surprised by the prices if you have flexibility.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:17 pm

Price per hour is probably the wrong way to look at it. From my experience (upgraded once, fra-sfo) the actual in-flight benefits are only marginally superior to the biz-class.
Other folks here write about the pre-flight services incl FCT which might be worth the price to satisfy your curiosity 😉.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
There are A fares out there that are circa 140 EUR per hour of F flying time on a return ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtbe
Price per hour is probably the wrong way to look at it. From my experience (upgraded once, fra-sfo) the actual in-flight benefits are only marginally superior to the biz-class.
Other folks here write about the pre-flight services incl FCT which might be worth the price to satisfy your curiosity 😉.
This thread is about F flight time cost

I beg to differ, F onboard is vastly superior to J, especially so on LH with their close up & cosy seats.... I’m not flying F longhaul for lounges !
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by chris63

I beg to differ, F onboard is vastly superior to J, especially so on LH with their close up & cosy seats.... I’m not flying F longhaul for lounges !
Absolutely agree. LH F is one of the best products out there. J is pretty unimpressive. Seats too small, no aisle access etc.
In LH F I can sleep for 6 to 8 hours, in LH J it is an hour or two. If you need to wor the next day it makes all the difference, it also helps with jet lag.
The question is not how much per hour in F, the question is: how much is your additional productivity etc for one or two days worth.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Absolutely agree. LH F is one of the best products out there. J is pretty unimpressive. Seats too small, no aisle access etc.
In LH F I can sleep for 6 to 8 hours, in LH J it is an hour or two. If you need to wor the next day it makes all the difference, it also helps with jet lag.
The question is not how much per hour in F, the question is: how much is your additional productivity etc for one or two days worth.
Very true, in LH J arrive wrecked & in F refreshed & raring to go ...... unless your on your way to MEX
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:21 pm

Sure if you fly F regularly for business you appreciate specific benefits. For a one time experience I think the consideration is different. For example how much time you plan to sleep in F is probably different.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure if you fly F regularly for business you appreciate specific benefits. For a one time experience I think the consideration is different. For example how much time you plan to sleep in F is probably different.
Yes, people will always fly for differing reasons, however there are huge differences between the F & J cabin & service on LH wether it’s worth it to an individual is a choice.

Back to topic on cost, A tickets often cost less than J
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
If you also count connections on TG or SQ F to Asia/Australia and get a ticket from MAN, the price can be brought down close to 100 Euro per hour in long-haul F. Probably does not get much better than this.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
If you also count connections on TG or SQ F to Asia/Australia and get a ticket from MAN, the price can be brought down close to 100 Euro per hour in long-haul F. Probably does not get much better than this.
And when you spend those hours quaffing Krug & Dom, it’s a super deal
SFO777, bowzer91 and worldclubber like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
And when you spend those hours quaffing Krug & Dom, it’s a super deal
Not to forget the lobster ...
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Not to forget the lobster ...
Yes, it’s a hard life but someone has to do it
JohnRain and worldclubber like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
But really at some point the savings aren’t worth it in time sacrificed to make it happen. There were some LX F flights to SIN ex-CAI that had very good fares. But I’m not flying all the way to CAI to make it happen. And feeding me 10,000 calories in booze and steak while sloshing around with my PA doesn’t make up for it. But to each their own.

It’s all really location dependent. I’ve found the CDG F fares to be really good and not too inconvenient to make. Not sure how they price out per hour but I’ve seen flights go for 3300 EUR from there. Not bad at all.

You have to ask yourself whether the sacrifice in your time to make the trip happen is worth the savings. If it’s a difference of 7k EUR, probably worth the sacrifice. If it’s 2k-3k EUR, it’s a bit more difficult. You have to determine how much you value each additional hour consumed.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophialite
But really at some point the savings aren’t worth it in time sacrificed to make it happen. There were some LX F flights to SIN ex-CAI that had very good fares. But I’m not flying all the way to CAI to make it happen. And feeding me 10,000 calories in booze and steak while sloshing around with my PA doesn’t make up for it. But to each their own.

It’s all really location dependent. I’ve found the CDG F fares to be really good and not too inconvenient to make. Not sure how they price out per hour but I’ve seen flights go for 3300 EUR from there. Not bad at all.

You have to ask yourself whether the sacrifice in your time to make the trip happen is worth the savings. If it’s a difference of 7k EUR, probably worth the sacrifice. If it’s 2k-3k EUR, it’s a bit more difficult. You have to determine how much you value each additional hour consumed.
I totally agree with this, when those North africa fares started to appear I immediately started imagining how to position myself there, but as you said sometimes the inconvenience is simply not worth the money you are saving (for instance going thru immigration in those countries is always a challenge and usually requires some type of bribery) or to play it safe you have to fly the day before and then have to factor in the price of the hotel in the trip. Also positioning flights to North Africa are usually expensive in J and certainly doesn’t make sense for someone who is flying in F afterwards to do it in Y.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:09 am
Original Poster

I started a thread to talk about the price per hour, simply because the other benefits can be very difficult to quantify (how many hours early you show up at the FCT, what kind of consumption you have there, if you use the day room or not).

From the lots of reviews I’ve read on LH F and from personal experience in several LH J, I think you are very wrong when you say the LH F is only marginally better than LH J. The hard product is not comparable (LH J is actually a very mediocre product when compared with other J cabins) and the soft product I’ve experienced in LH J is not something to sing songs about, so again I have a tough time seeing on how both can even be compared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.