Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Goodbye LSG? [divestiture of Skychef & associated catering go-slow/strike activities]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye LSG? [divestiture of Skychef & associated catering go-slow/strike activities]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
The cynic in me sees them shutting down LSG completely. Moving C/F to Do&Co and selling BoB
I don’t see anything cynical in that, it’s a possibility but they would have to change the sandwiches, no sane person would hand over cash for one of their nuclear varieties
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cheese ones are fine! I just wouldn't eat the meat ones.

While the cakes and pastries are defrosted before use, I am not sure its possible to do that with the sandwiches.

I wonder if the long list of ingredients is actually nothing special for your typical permafrost bread and cakes that Helga serves in all cabins and lounges? As do all airlines. And your typical supermarket bread that is prolific all over the world now. Very few bakeries actually prepare fresh bread, especially in the major chains in Germany. I doubt its only flour, yeast and water and optionally seeds.

The C and F meals will be full of preservatives and very long list of ingredients especially with "cold cuts" and the German pork dishes. Even Pata Negra in the F lounge will contain sodium nitrate and/or potassium E250/E250 because one of the differentiators between parma ham and PN is parma ham is only preserved with salt.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The sandwiches are mass produced in Cologne and frozen. The defrosting happens at the airport when the trolley are loaded for the day. There is a funky video on how the sandwiches are made, but I can find it on google...

Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
The cheese ones are fine! I just wouldn't eat the meat ones.

While the cakes and pastries are defrosted before use, I am not sure its possible to do that with the sandwiches.

I wonder if the long list of ingredients is actually nothing special for your typical permafrost bread and cakes that Helga serves in all cabins and lounges? As do all airlines. And your typical supermarket bread that is prolific all over the world now. Very few bakeries actually prepare fresh bread, especially in the major chains in Germany. I doubt its only flour, yeast and water and optionally seeds.

The C and F meals will be full of preservatives and very long list of ingredients especially with "cold cuts" and the German pork dishes. Even Pata Negra in the F lounge will contain sodium nitrate and/or potassium E250/E250 because one of the differentiators between parma ham and PN is parma ham is only preserved with salt.
Thanks for the reassurance

It’s almost putting me off my lounge food right now & my soon to board longhaul flight....
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Was told yesterday by a purser on my FRA-LCY flight that they expect the problems with catering to get worse in near future!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
It’s almost putting me off my lounge food right now & my soon to board longhaul flight....
Makes me think I should focus more on drinks in the air and food on the ground. But then again, the non-FCL lounge food is for the most part convenience crap, too ...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
Was told yesterday by a purser on my FRA-LCY flight that they expect the problems with catering to get worse in near future!
How does he know already what the talks between LH and the unions will be like next week?
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It is pretty evident that LH cares a rodents behind about the opinions of the union and the latter has no legal options. So this kind of guerilla go slow will get worse as the decision nears, and especially when the deal is done.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
It is pretty evident that LH cares a rodents behind about the opinions of the union and the latter has no legal options. So this kind of guerilla go slow will get worse as the decision nears, and especially when the deal is done.
I will play it by ear: eat at the hotel, lounge etc. and see what happens on board. If the s%&$ hits the proverbial fan, I will just at at the lounge or a restaurant on arrival.

Will press LH for compensation, though, so that they don't get the idea this is a win win for them.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:19 am

Compared to a pilot/cabin crew strike this is peanuts. Remember they lost 20 million a day when the pilots striked.

Agreeing to keep working conditions and benefits the same is an easy concession to make to the union: the new owner is hardly going to attract and hold workers if they offer worse.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Compared to a pilot/cabin crew strike this is peanuts. Remember they lost 20 million a day when the pilots striked.
That's certainly part of the story why LH doesn't seem to care at all.

At least not until long-haul planes cannot depart, as they lack essential catering.

Short-haul. We will see. If I don't get my three plates of morsels on MUC-FRA or the like, I will gladly take the miles.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:16 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

FLR-FRA-FAO in C yesterday.

First leg on EN with the usual bad catering. Second leg LH with the normal stuff, a pathetic cold snack of 4 chicken slices and fruit salad (?).

Ridiculously small for a 3 hour flight departing at 12.00 noon.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
Second leg LH with the normal stuff, a pathetic cold snack of 4 chicken slices and fruit salad (?).

Ridiculously small for a 3 hour flight departing at 12.00 noon.
Yes ! Had the 4 miniscule slices of Chicken on MAN-MUC yesterday, with something barely recognisable as salad.... thank heavens for the bread roll or I might not have made it to MUC
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by chris63
Yes ! Had the 4 miniscule slices of Chicken on MAN-MUC yesterday, with something barely recognisable as salad.... thank heavens for the bread roll or I might not have made it to MUC
Well, you could have carbloaded yourself at the „great“ lounge at MAN.
MichielR and hugolover like this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Well, you could have carbloaded yourself at the „great“ lounge at MAN.
I could have but it wasn’t on my wishlist, however MAN security & some less than helpful staff at a Duty free shop.... makes me laugh as there is no Duty free inside EU but they do have lower prices.... ended with a dash to the gate, which as usual was unaided by the not in use walkway.... MAN
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.