Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

VERY tight FRA connection, need advice/help with options/right if missed connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VERY tight FRA connection, need advice/help with options/right if missed connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Soph
Hmmm... what would the general opinion on this subject be? To book the LH guide service or not?

The thing that worries me the most is knowing its most certainly a bus gate. If not I would probably play it cool and just sprint for it kids in tow.
Does anyone know if arriving at a bus gate the transfer guide meets you at the tarmac or when arriving airside in terminal?
You will be met at the stand. I've had it a number of times.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You will be met at the stand. I've had it a number of times.
That's impressive since according to LH.com the Guide Service meeting points include the arrival gate but not a remote stand.

To the OP, the Guide Service does not guarantee anything. If the incoming flight is very late and you miss your connection the agent will hopefully take you to the appropriate service desk where they will arrange hotel accommodation and rebook you on the next available flights to SIN and DPS. I only misconnected in FRA once and finding the service desk where I could get things sorted out late at night wasn't straightforward.

If you book the Guide Service and your incoming flight is on time or only slightly delayed you know you will be taken through the quickest route to your departure gate. Only you can decide if it's worth paying 75€.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:44 pm
Suspended

All I can say in the two times I’ve used it they came to the remote stand with a minibus. One was a LHR inbound to an AUH flight, the other was either TXL or MUC on to MIA.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold (EuroBonus)
May I ask how you managed to book it? called LH today and operator seemed a bit confused, put me on hold to speak to Supervisor/manager and then returned to the phone sayin I should book via manage my bookings but cant find it there.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:17 am
Suspended

I honestly don't remember even if I booked it online (and the website layout has changed since then) or called in. I think you're best off calling the service centre.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Soph
May I ask how you managed to book it? called LH today and operator seemed a bit confused, put me on hold to speak to Supervisor/manager and then returned to the phone sayin I should book via manage my bookings but cant find it there.
Which number did you call? I suggest you call a number in Germany during the day.

Booking and prices
These fee-based services are available to Lufthansa passengers only and can be booked very easily through the Lufthansa sales office or by calling the Lufthansa Service Centre.
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lufthansa-guide-service
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:47 pm

I have an upcoming OPO-FRA-SFO flight that has a 45 min connection in FRA. Should I miss the FRA connection, will LH rebook me on one of the UA flights should there be availability the same day ? I’m flying in J.

Should that not be possible, will they pay for a hotel that evening in FRA?

I’m considering switching to OPO-MUC-SFO, but I love flying on the upper deck of the 747, and if rebooking options include UA Polaris or an overnight in FRA, things could be much worse. I don’t need to be in SFO by a certain date by any means …
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by kthpence
I have an upcoming OPO-FRA-SFO flight that has a 45 min connection in FRA. Should I miss the FRA connection, will LH rebook me on one of the UA flights should there be availability the same day ? I’m flying in J.

Should that not be possible, will they pay for a hotel that evening in FRA?

I’m considering switching to OPO-MUC-SFO, but I love flying on the upper deck of the 747, and if rebooking options include UA Polaris or an overnight in FRA, things could be much worse. I don’t need to be in SFO by a certain date by any means …
if it is all on 1 single ticket and booking then yes. You would have booked a guaranteed connection within the MInimum Connecting Time MCT and the carrier would be responsible.

if it is on 2 different bookings and tickets, then no.
gioannis13 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
if it is all on 1 single ticket and booking then yes. You would have booked a guaranteed connection within the MInimum Connecting Time MCT and the carrier would be responsible.

if it is on 2 different bookings and tickets, then no.
It’s 1 single ticket, yes.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So basically you are protected for your OPO-FRA-SFO connection, but boy that is tight from a Schengen flight to Non-Schengen and involving US destination with all those extra security precautions.

You better hope your flight is on time and be quick on your feet and even then this is a tough connection to make in the allocated time in FRA in my book. Good luck.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Go ahead and book the ticket. LH will take care of you if you miss the flight. Even with 45min at FRA there is a reasonable chance that you make it to the SFO flight.
kthpence likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Go ahead and book the ticket. LH will take care of you if you miss the flight. Even with 45min at FRA there is a reasonable chance that you make it to the SFO flight.
And be prepared with alternatives in case you don't make it. It is often easier to suggest something than just accepting what they offer.
kthpence likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
And be prepared with alternatives in case you don't make it. It is often easier to suggest something than just accepting what they offer.
that I’ve been planning for. But who / where exactly should I go should I miss the connection ? The UA direct flights seem full-ish (3 J seats available on each), but I guess the latter UA flight I’d probably have a better chance on getting as the earlier will have probably started clearing upgrades by the time I’d miss my original flight…

other option would be getting routed through MUC, but I’d honestly prefer spending the night near FRA and getting a whole day in Germany vs an added connection in MUC. Should that be what LH offers, can I ask to just be put on the next direct FRA-SFO flight with LH the next day ? Would they cover my hotel cost as well + food ? And on the other end, if I did miss my connection & get routed through MUC and arrive +6 hours late, would I be entitled to EU 261?

i understand if my originating flight isn’t delayed, eu261 wouldn’t come in to play. But if it is delayed, I assume it would ?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by kthpence
that I’ve been planning for. But who / where exactly should I go should I miss the connection ? The UA direct flights seem full-ish (3 J seats available on each), but I guess the latter UA flight I’d probably have a better chance on getting as the earlier will have probably started clearing upgrades by the time I’d miss my original flight…

other option would be getting routed through MUC, but I’d honestly prefer spending the night near FRA and getting a whole day in Germany vs an added connection in MUC. Should that be what LH offers, can I ask to just be put on the next direct FRA-SFO flight with LH the next day ? Would they cover my hotel cost as well + food ? And on the other end, if I did miss my connection & get routed through MUC and arrive +6 hours late, would I be entitled to EU 261?

i understand if my originating flight isn’t delayed, eu261 wouldn’t come in to play. But if it is delayed, I assume it would ?
If you don’t make it you need to go to the transfer counter, see what they offer you but have your prepared alternatives, they will also provide you with Taxi vouchers & Hotel & meal vouchers if it is necessary for you to overnight.

You would be entitled to EU261 compensation if you arrive at your final destination more than 4 hours later than scheduled,
, LH sold you the connection and at FRA it’s going to be very tight.

Be careful if you request a different routing from the one LH offer you because they could claim the delay was down to your choice.
kthpence likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If the incoming flight is on time, LH will (rightfully) deny any claim for comp. for delay if you miss the SFO flight because 45min at FRA is a valid and doable connection. As stated above if your incoming flight is on time and you head straight to the gate (presumably it will be an easy A to Z gate) there is a high chance that you will make the connection, but there is no time for lounge, window shopping, excessive toilet visit etc.

If you miss the SFO flight (due to incoming flight arriving FRA late) LH will rebook. Go to the transfer desk. If you prefer to travel the next day and LH agrees to this, it will not prevent you from getting EU 261/04 comp. for delay (unless the delay was caused by extraordinary circumstances but that is a diff. issue).

However, if LH is able to rebook you to SFO arriving with less than 4 hours delay and offers this to you, you are obviously not entitled to comp. if you decide for a different later flight (which arrives SFO with a delay of 4 hours or more) and any hotel, meals etc will be on your own dime. I find it rather unlikely that LH will be able to rebook you to SFO with a delay of less than 4 hours but may certainly be able to rebook you same day which will make your claim for reimbursement of a FRA hotel difficult (if you decide to be rebooked to the following day).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.