Search

Protection when flying with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Protection when flying with separate tickets

Hi,

I'm flying BRU-FRA-BLR, with BRU-FRA and FRA-BLR on separate tickets. Both are LH and I've close to 3hrs transit time at FRA. If BRU-FRA flight is delayed beyond 3 hours, would LH book me on an alternative route for the FRA-BLR sector, free of cost as they should when on a single ticket? Or would I be deemed a 'no-show' for the FRA-BLR because of separate tickets? In the past, LH has tagged the bags all the way to the final destination even when I was on similar arrangement (separate tickets). Curious to know what happens for the bags in case of delays?

Thanks,

P14.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by prasad14
Hi,

I'm flying BRU-FRA-BLR, with BRU-FRA and FRA-BLR on separate tickets. Both are LH and I've close to 3hrs transit time at FRA. If BRU-FRA flight is delayed beyond 3 hours, would LH book me on an alternative route for the FRA-BLR sector, free of cost as they should when on a single ticket? Or would I be deemed a 'no-show' for the FRA-BLR because of separate tickets? In the past, LH has tagged the bags all the way to the final destination even when I was on similar arrangement (separate tickets). Curious to know what happens for the bags in case of delays?

Thanks,

P14.
If you are on separate tickets you won’t be protected. If you can’t make the “connection” because the incoming flight is very late it’s unlikely your checked bags will make the “connection” either.
prasad14 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by prasad14
Hi,

Thanks,

P14.
Having bags checked through won't protect you at all. It might give them a reason to wait a few minutes longer for you (IF the bags made it, but you didn't.. possible with bus transfer in FRA on arrival)

If they decide they close the gate, they'll close it, have your bags removed (once this decision is taken, it usually won't be reverted, even if you arrive by then at the gate..) and you're stuck in FRA. Unless your ticket is changable (and even then, most probably only against a fee) you'll be welcomed to buy a new ticket..
prasad14 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a connection. The bags won't matter. If OP no shows for his onward departure, his ticket will be cancelled and it will retain whatever value it retains under its fare rules. That is likely EUR 0. OP would then need to purchase a new ticket to BLR. Depending on the reason for the delay on his first flight, he might be due some delay compensation under EC 261/2004 and could ultimately use that to defray a small portion of his new ticket.
prasad14 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The way the altea DCS is set up at Lufthansa, if you check a bag the agent has to link your two tickets. So the BLR gate will see you are coming in from BRU and perhaps wait a bit. But no protection whatsoever, as LH didn't sell you a BRU-BLR ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
You could buy suitable travel insurance to cover a missed connection
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by chris63
But, OP is not connecting.

There may well be policies which provide coverage for missed transfers between tickets, but I am not aware of them and they presumably cost a good deal more because missed connections are covered by the carrier causing the misconnect.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Thank you all. Given the expert advice, I'll not risk this and take a through ticket.

Prasad14
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Often1

There may well be policies which provide coverage for missed transfers between tickets, but I am not aware of them and they presumably cost a good deal more because missed connections are covered by the carrier causing the misconnect.
hmm.. just to let you know that my travel insurance covers misconnections between flights as long as MCT has been complied with - there is no exception/exclusion for separate tickets (admittedly, I have never tested this coverage as it has never turned out necessary). It seems to be norm with the travel insurance coverage on the Danish market (without the insurance premium being excessively high).
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
hmm.. just to let you know that my travel insurance covers misconnections between flights as long as MCT has been complied with - there is no exception/exclusion for separate tickets (admittedly, I have never tested this coverage as it has never turned out necessary). It seems to be norm with the travel insurance coverage on the Danish market (without the insurance premium being excessively high).

Minimum Connection Time or not doesn’t matter. I bet your insurance will say, that you are not connecting, so no coverage. On two tickets, you are not connecting. You are arriving at your destination and leaving again - or rather not.

Case closed.

Edit// btw, there are some travel insurances out there which cover missing the “connection” on separate tickets. They usually require 3 to 4 hours connection time. I had one of those a couple of years back and it worked quite ok. Only used it once and they paid with out questions.

Edit2// should you ask why the insurance company then put down some clause about compensation of missed connections? Well, since it doesn’t cost them anything as they - opposed to a lot of the normal traveling plebs - know that the airlines are on the hook for accommodating the misconnectiong passengers. But on the insurances advertising leaflet it reads great! Just last year had a call from a friend in distress at FRA who missed his connection. He was totally surprised to learn that he just needed to go to the LH desk and they will take care. He was 100% sure he was now screwed and will need to buy a new ticket...
trooper likes this.

Last edited by fassy; Mar 12, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

It is still a connecting flight even if not on the same ticket, your still doing the same process as if it were one ticket but without any protection.

My UK based travel insurance covers this specifically and it’s not expensive, however one must be able to demonstrate that you took reasonable precautions to be at the airport in time for the connection, my plan is always to be at the airport on the connection before normal checkin time would open.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:00 am

Would you all be so kind to share the names of these insurance policies? I've been looking for one forever and never managed to find one.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Would you all be so kind to share the names of these insurance policies? I've been looking for one forever and never managed to find one.
Mine is Aviva in U.K. but I also have protection through my AMEX as long as I purchased the tickets via AMEX.
malmostoso likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SK AAR

It is still a connecting flight even if not on the same ticket, your still doing the same process as if it were one ticket but without any protection.

My UK based travel insurance covers this specifically and it’s not expensive, however one must be able to demonstrate that you took reasonable precautions to be at the airport in time for the connection, my plan is always to be at the airport on the connection before normal checkin time would open.

Mine is Aviva in U.K. but I also have protection through my AMEX as long as I purchased the tickets via AMEX.
We've had this discussion before, and I have never seen a fully-satisfactory policy in this respect. Certainly Amex is far from true protection.

Let's you booked a cheap EasyJet flight to position yourself to your long haul departure airport where you planned on flying in SQ Suites, are you telling me that if you respected MCT but your U2 flight was late or cancelled, Aviva would pony up for a full fare F ticket on SQ at the last minute? I believe the Amex limit on the German card is something like EUR200 per person.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
We've had this discussion before, and I have never seen a fully-satisfactory policy in this respect. Certainly Amex is far from true protection.

Let's you booked a cheap EasyJet flight to position yourself to your long haul departure airport where you planned on flying in SQ Suites, are you telling me that if you respected MCT but your U2 flight was late or cancelled, Aviva would pony up for a full fare F ticket on SQ at the last minute? I believe the Amex limit on the German card is something like EUR200 per person.
Not how I use it & you won’t catch me on EZY. My Aviva policy has a 5k limit on missed connections, not on the same ticket , & I respect the earliest checkin time so 2 hrs shorthaul & 3 hrs longhaul, no one is expected to be at the airport before those times. And in my case we would be talking about rebooking a J or F flight, for which I made every reasonable effort to be at the point of departure in the correct timeframe.
A full fare SQ F ticket is rebookable FOC anyway but you know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.