Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgraceful Experience on Eurowings [trying to film crew & pax]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by DCP2016
While it's private property and that's their aircraft where you can make whatever stupid rules you want, you have NO expectation of privacy in public. Even though this is private property it is still public, and while the owner can tell you you can't film you shouldn't expect any privacy nor do you have the right to it unless you are inside the lavatory.
I have no idea where you are from and what you know about German laws. But there is such a thing as "rights regarding one own's image" in Germany. In a nutshell: Even if shooting a video / pics happens in public, you don't have the right to take pics/videos of individuals. There are exceptions if you happen to be in a group that gets filmed or you happen to stand in front of a famous site.
But non of this is relevant here anyway. The airline has a rule that prohibits people from filming on board. Because an airplane is NOT public. It's like a building where the owner can setup as many rules as they wish.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
To those who are against filming on an aircraft, it would be one thing if the FA asked the OP nicely to stop filming and he rudely replied back & continued to do so, it's another in this situation. Maybe it's just the usual German hospitality but it sounds like the FA rudely told OP to stop instead of a simple "Sir, we unfortunately do not allow video recording on the aircraft" or "Unfortunately it's our policy to not allow video recording, we apologize".
Why should the FA's APOLOGISE for what is - clearly - a fairly popular policy? Why should they suggest it is "unfortunate" that they protect other peoples privacy? Why do you ignore the fact that the FA apparently DID ask the OP nicely? You might expect such a response from a Brit.....they will "apologise" as if they are at fault, no matter what.. "Im sorry, but you seem to be standing on my foot"... Germans however strike me as much more rational....
worldclubber and arttravel like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:47 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by croberts134
I now understand why people consider younger generations entitled...
On behalf of my generation I'd like to say to luckily those are only a minority...

While I get one wants to take pictures of a flight, the seat, the food and the view, one should always try to do so without being intrusive of the others privacy. I must confess I nearly always snap a picture on a plane, but I always try to do so without catching anybody else on it. But if somebody happens to be seen on it you obviously do not share it. Here I think it'd be unjustified to scold somebody for taking a picture of the view or the food.
An example: In a lounge where there happened to be a really fancy designed bar I wanted to take a picture of it and since it had a bartender standing behind it I asked him if it would be okay to take a picture of the bar. He agreed, but told me he didn't want to be on it and proceeded out of view to not be on the picture. It'd just be rude to take a picture without asking.

This seems common sense to me, but as always common sense is everything but common nowadays.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by trooper
You might expect such a response from a Brit.....they will "apologise" as if they are at fault, no matter what.. "Im sorry, but you seem to be standing on my foot"... Germans however strike me as much more rational....
Made my day
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by trooper
Why should the FA's APOLOGISE for what is - clearly - a fairly popular policy? Why should they suggest it is "unfortunate" that they protect other peoples privacy? Why do you ignore the fact that the FA apparently DID ask the OP nicely? You might expect such a response from a Brit.....they will "apologise" as if they are at fault, no matter what.. "Im sorry, but you seem to be standing on my foot"... Germans however strike me as much more rational....
One would think that this is the case, but the German FA actually started by saying "es tut mir leid, ..." which means "I'm sorry, ...", i.e. they do apologise. Maybe not for the rule, but for having to convey the rule to the passenger.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
The purser was right

They maybe did not handle it very well but under EU law they were correct. You are not allowed to film or take photos without permission of those who would be in it. The new laws are very strict and the airline could run the risk of being fined if someone complained. There are a lot of discussion at that moment around it all, especially with photographers who take shots of general life and people. Technically this is not allows unless you have written consent. Best thing to do is always ask upfront. Not sure for rest of world but EU just be careful
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
More important, this is private space. Whether required by law or not, the carrier is fully entitled to have a policy and many carriers operating under the laws of other nations do as well. Carriers enforce these policies because the vast majority of their customers want them. This is not a privacy debate or a debate about German or EU law. Rather, it is about the simple concept that OP entered a contract with a business to obey its rules and then chose to rant when the business enforced what OP had already agreed to.

The use of seemingly apologetic language simply defuses the situation. FA's are trained to do that rather than create confrontations. Same thing with seat belts and other issues, e.g. "I am sorry, but you will need to remain seated with your seat belt buckled" is not an apology for the rule or the turbulence, it is meant to achieve compliance without an accusation.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by gav0106
They maybe did not handle it very well but under EU law they were correct. You are not allowed to film or take photos without permission of those who would be in it. The new laws are very strict and the airline could run the risk of being fined if someone complained. There are a lot of discussion at that moment around it all, especially with photographers who take shots of general life and people. Technically this is not allows unless you have written consent. Best thing to do is always ask upfront. Not sure for rest of world but EU just be careful
Certainly not under English law (we're still just about in the EU)!

Places like railway stations and airports, except areas where there is a specific security concern such as immigration / customs / checkpoints etc, are open to the public and you can film freely. There is no expectation of privacy in such locations.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C

Places like railway stations and airports, except areas where there is a specific security concern such as immigration / customs / checkpoints etc, are open to the public and you can film freely. There is no expectation of privacy in such locations.
We are not talking about airports or train stations here, but enclosed spaces, such as metal tubes known as planes. And you cannot do it on the train either.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
We are not talking about airports or train stations here, but enclosed spaces, such as metal tubes known as planes. And you cannot do it on the train either.
Yes you can - and I say that as a former BTP officer!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:26 am

Yes you can - and I say that as a former BTP officer!
Not on our trains.

But then again, cameras are much more present in some countries (in public) than others ...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by gav0106
They maybe did not handle it very well but under EU law they were correct. You are not allowed to film or take photos without permission of those who would be in it.
Not 100% true. Almost every local train or bus in Germany has CTV surveillance nowadays, as well as in public places with higher security requirements. What is not allowed to start filming people with a commercial intend without their consent. Exception is press work where a strong public demand out-ways the individual right of privacy but even here are rules in place.

Last edited by flyingfkb; Feb 28, 2019 at 8:36 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:22 am

It was signed into UK law on 25th May 2018.

Where an image is clearly of an individual or group of individuals, who are the focus of the image, it will be personal data, and consent is required to use it. Although the Data Protection Act does not specify that consent should be in written form it is strongly recommended that you obtain written consent so that you have a record, in case of subsequent disputes.
Note this doesn't apply to "purely personal or household activity" like holiday photos, photos between friends etc.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

Well this is the issue . These EU laws! I worked in public places and we had to refuse/tell people to stop filming/taking pictures all the time. Network rail for example needs you to have a permit to film, and anyone can object if they see you taking a picture which you might be in. Now of course, how do you actually police this is this issue. Its al around data protection laws, where is the photo going, how is it stored, what is it used for? This is the new law which causes the issues. As you can imagine was great fun telling people they cant take pictures!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
How is this disgraceful? You asked permission and were told no. Where in your COC does it say you are entitled to take video of people who do not want it?
athome and marcoos like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.