How much longer will LH fly the A380?

Old Feb 26, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: Due to current work travel patterns just A-List with WN - and that's enough!
It probably also depends on fuel prices. I imagine the higher they are, the sooner the A380 is likely to be phased out (on a sliding scale).
Old Feb 26, 19, 10:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
The fuel cost is not a big factor in A380s as the fuel used per passenger is still competitive. Not as good as for A359 or B789, but still better than A330 or B77W.
Old Feb 26, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
It probably also depends on fuel prices. I imagine the higher they are, the sooner the A380 is likely to be phased out (on a sliding scale).
As oliver2002 said, fuel per seat is not the issue. Filling the seats is the more relevant question...
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post

As oliver2002 said, fuel per seat is not the issue. Filling the seats is the more relevant question...
While the A380 is relatively comfortable in economy when full at the weekends (especially in the upper deck Y compartment), there is nothing better (in the economy travelling world) than a Wednesday flight on an empty A380.
Old Feb 26, 19, 12:28 pm

Programs: Due to current work travel patterns just A-List with WN - and that's enough!
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The fuel cost is not a big factor in A380s as the fuel used per passenger is still competitive. Not as good as for A359 or B789, but still better than A330 or B77W.

I understand the A380 is competitive on a fuel-per-seat basis. That is not the issue. The issue is the massive number of seats on the A380.

In times of higher fuel prices, airlines tend to increase fares (or implement "fuel surcharges," which to the consumer has the same result). All else being equal, higher prices = less demand = more difficult to fill lots of huge aircraft that need to be full to be profitable. So that could spur a more rapid retirement of A380s.
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
While the A380 is relatively comfortable in economy when full at the weekends (especially in the upper deck Y compartment), there is nothing better (in the economy travelling world) than a Wednesday flight on an empty A380.
I would hope they keep it just for the F cabin.
mevr likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 1:19 pm

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

I would hope they keep it just for the F cabin.
That also has my vote it’s the best F product on LH
mevr likes this.
Old Feb 26, 19, 2:38 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Bear96 View Post
I understand the A380 is competitive on a fuel-per-seat basis. That is not the issue. The issue is the massive number of seats on the A380.

In times of higher fuel prices, airlines tend to increase fares (or implement "fuel surcharges," which to the consumer has the same result). All else being equal, higher prices = less demand = more difficult to fill lots of huge aircraft that need to be full to be profitable. So that could spur a more rapid retirement of A380s.
Not really. If you consider the slots available on the major trunk routes (both at the airport as well as enroute, AFPAK and Russia have severe restrictions and cost a pretty penny) it still makes sense to fly A380s between say SIN/HND/PEK/SFO and FRA/MUC. Higher fuel prices don't put a dent in demand, A380s flew fine when we had 120$ oil not so long ago.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by view View Post
Lufthansa seems to think otherwise and will sell 6 A380 in 2022/23 to Airbus.
Well, that’s why the sell 6 and not all of them ...
Old Mar 13, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
I guess this will slim down the F class even more...
Old Mar 13, 19, 12:20 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Kleffen View Post
I guess this will slim down the F class even more...
OT a little but I got told by a senior purser this week who’s been with LH for over 35 years that they’re being told F will most likely be on the new aircraft as 4 seats. I am the first to take what I hear from “Galley FM” with a grain of salt, but I’ve always thought this could make sense on a number of routes.
chris63 and worldclubber like this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, United
It makes sense compared to “peer” airlines. AF’s new La Premiere is only one row, as is SQ’s F. I’m fine with that.
Old Mar 13, 19, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by vantage03 View Post
OT a little but I got told by a senior purser this week who’s been with LH for over 35 years that they’re being told F will most likely be on the new aircraft as 4 seats. I am the first to take what I hear from “Galley FM” with a grain of salt, but I’ve always thought this could make sense on a number of routes.
Smaller planes, smaller first cabin. Why not. As long as they have some big birds for the routes where F is usually 6/8 or more.
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 4:50 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CLP1, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
It makes sense compared to “peer” airlines. AF’s new La Premiere is only one row, as is SQ’s F. I’m fine with that.
I haven’t done AF yet but I really like SQ’s 4 seat 777 F.
The bathroom to passenger ratio is excellent lol 😂
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 19, 8:41 pm

Programs: Lufthansa, United
I actually am eager to try the new AF La Premiere. Seems like a great product. If only transiting through CDG wasn't so horrible, but I hear that's getting better too for F passengers.

Still I'd be spending a lot of money for an F ticket that nets me points into a loyalty program I just don't use and overall find to be among the worst alliances out there.

Search this Thread