Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by econprof
Perhaps, but I do wonder how many of such round trips one could make before LH would be suspicious. Hence my question.
Why should they? You buy a ticket, they get the money.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No problem at all, provided you checkin online and they don't overlap with other travel. I know of a few who booked a ton of 4-5€ ZWS-FRA-QKL one ways in K via fluege.de last year
Old Jun 25, 2017, 12:22 am

LH Book Airrail and not use Rail leg?

I stumbled across a possible deal, but not sure if that would work:

Looking at ORD to FRA or STR second half of August. My final destination is pretty much in the middle of both, so either would work. I found an ORD to STR flight for a pretty good $673 with a stop in FRA (both ways).
The FRA-STR leg turns out to be by rail (so technically to the main train station)

I know that if all legs were real flights and I am not using the FRA-STR part, but especially the STR-FRA first leg on the return I would jeopardize the whole ticket.

What if that leg is rail? Can I just not use the rail part either way and be fine? I read there are check-ins available at those selected train stations. What if on the return I check in at FRA? Can I except issues?
Not sure how tigghtly integrated they are and if LH eventually knows if I actually took the train. I am very familiar with travelling DB, but only with actual DB train tickets.

My idea was to just use the ORD-FRA legs, rent and return a car in FRA. Stuttgart train station car rental will be considerably less convenient (and obviously add a few hours travel time). Plus this would result in an amazingly cheap non-stop flight to FRA.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You just need to checkin(online) for the entire trip and generate the boarding pass(es). In FRA you can check your luggage at the airrail counter in the bridge between the DB station and Terminal 1.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:30 am

There are enough reasons why a conductor won't check your ticket, not only because FRA-STR is fast by rail and takes only short time.

LH legs by rail were very popular for mileage runs, because you got status miles only by online check in - without any kind of traveling (with all 4 legs by rail). And flights often use to be cheaper when adding rails legs, you don't use. LH solved that problem by making that more expensive, not by making sure, that the passengers attendance will be checked.

In short: The rules are against your plan, but the risk of getting caught is very, very low. In fact you can get problems only if YOU tell LH about it. Just keep that in mind.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: LH HON
Just don't drop your bag at FRA before the train arrives
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Some good advice here.

Welcome to FlyerTalk, alces!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:05 pm

Thanks, guys!
Looks like it should work. I agree, conductors often don't show up, so no proof I wasn't on that train. I'll take the plunge at almost $500 savings for a non-stop (times 3 pax). Leaves more money for food and wine
And rest assured, I won't tell them about it, of course!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:07 am

OK, we back and I owe you all (and others) a short experience report.
I short, it was all no problem.

On the way out, at ORD they even asked where we would like to pick up the luggage in FRA, regular carousel or the one at the rail station. We picked the regular one, no questions asked, and that's where it showed up. Surprisingly, we also got our child seat at the same time :-) (That does not seem to be standard anymore...)

On the way back, I checked in online the evening before, and we dropped off the luggage at the regular check-in (so not rail terminal). Again, technically, no questions asked. However, I also kept one suitcase to show to customs for exported items, although I don't think they would have questioned my luggage drop off anyway.
They also did not ask at all about the rail portion or any proof of that

The trouble, independent from the above, just came in when someone (the guy pointing you to the next available counter) at the check-in sent us to the family check-in when asked about taking the suitcase back for export control at customs. "Best you go there, they can do that". I should have known better.
At Family Check-in, waiting in line again, finally the agent says: I cannot check you in, this is a UA flight. I said, I have boarding passes, we are checked in online already.
Yet she insisted we have to go to the UA counter. Once there, it was 40 minutes to departure. Needless to say, that was a no go. She sent us to their ticket counter for rebooking.
Half an hour in their line, she tells us she cannot rebook because that is an LH ticket, we have to go the LH ticket counter. ...? One can book the other, but cannot check you in on the other. The other cannor book the one. Hello, Star Alliance, anybody there? Maybe I am naive in that respect, but I always felt this all was more integrated, especially ifm y orig. ticket was booked that way.

On to the LH ticket counter (more waiting). She right away starts "this ticket has a $300 rebooking fee". I said I am no paying that, I was on time, and was being set around half the airport by incompetent personnel. Manager than agreed to cut the reboooking fee to 150 EUR... not even half. I still said no. She sent us to the flight manager.

Down to their office, nobody there. Waiting again. Then once they showed up, before we could finish our explanation, the Spanish inquisition started: Who did you talk to. What color hair? Did he wear glasses? Did he have the LH uniform? Which counter where you at? When did you arrive? How did you arrive? Was it a LH train? or wa it a regular train car? We have special trains rented from DB blahblah. I winged it and they believed it.

At some point the flight manager literally said "I am getting quite upset...". At that point We got quite pissy with him since we were the ones stuck at his airport.
They agreed to drop the ticket change charge for a non-stop flight 4.5 hours later. But they refused meal vouchers ("not their policy"). I was too tired arguing about the law and we moved on...
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Deutsche Bahn operated segments

I am on a Deutsche Bahn-operated, LH flight number "segment" (which is really an ICE train) from QKL to FRA, ticketed by United on 016 stock, then onward on LH from FRA to SEA in business.

I actually want to go from Aachen to Frankfurt but that isn't offered.

What is my best plan?

1. Take train from Aachen to Cologne which then has 10 minutes wait until ICE train departs.

2. Book my own ICE ticket directly from Aachen to Frankfurt. It arrives at Frankfurt with enough time to connect. But I'm not sure Lufthansa will allow you to not take the ICE they ticketed you in.

3. Take much earlier train from Aachen to Cologne so I have more time than 10 minutes to board the ICE train.

I am traveling with hand luggage only.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
evergreen, *sigh*

No, you don't need to take the airrail segment. While there are inspectors on the train, they typically don't get to check every passenger's ticket. So, in practice, LH doesn't know if your ticket wasn't scanned because the operator missed you or because you weren't on the train... Thus, it's not enforced that you have to "fly" that airrail segment.

However, you will have to do the online check-in for that segment. If you miss the online check in for the train, planning to check-in in FRA, your ticket would be invalid (unless you're on a flex/full fare).

Edit: I also recommend NOT to scan your BP/pass through security until after the train you were supposed to take actually arrived. If, after all, you decide to check backs, don't check bags prior to the ticketed train's arrival, either.

Last edited by 1flyer; Oct 31, 2017 at 1:51 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: LH M+M
10 minutes to connect at the train station Cologne is fine when no IRROPS.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
10 minutes to connect at the train station Cologne is fine when no IRROPS.
As long as there's no luggage, but yeah, I found the RB/RE in NRW to be pretty punctual most of the time. Just know which platform you need to go to ahead of time, and you should be fine. Or leave a longer connection time. Or just blablacar your way to Frankfurt from Aachen
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
I'd take an earlier train from Aachen to Cologne to be on the safe side. I don't see any point buying a ticket from Aachen to FRA as most trains involve a change at Cologne anyway. If you're up for a bit of risk, take the 10 mins connection at Cologne but you only need a small delay (and it happens) for you to miss the connection. Better to give yourself more time and less stress/worry. A longer connection will maybe give you time to pop outside the station at Cologne and see the wonderful cathedral which is just outside the station or get yourself a coffee in one of the many outlets in the station.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
For reference this is on Sat. 4 Nov. 2017.

RE 10111 Aachen -> Cologne dep. 05:51a arr. 06:44a
-or-
RE 10113 Aachen -> Cologne dep. 06:51a arr 07:44a

ICE 513 Cologne -> FRA dep. 07:55a arr. 08:49a (this is what is ticketed)

Lufthansa flight FRA -> SEA dep. 10:30a

Now this is the alternative ICE option:

ICE 11 Aachen -> FRA dep. 07:40a arr. 09:16a w/ stop in Cologne, dep. 08:27a

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.