Wiki Posts
Search

flybmi goes under

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:43 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by hugolover
Cross-posting is of course prohibited so I quote my post on European Airlines forum. This Brexit AND the EU killing them off argument is BS as I wrote here:

Flybmi into administration -all flights cancelled
You do know loadfactor does not equal revenue per passenger, don´t you ?
Tyrolean likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
A very sad day for all former bmi flyers.
Extremy sad 😔

I used to love the BMI operated wetlease from FRA to MAN, genuinely something to look forward to, better seats, better catering & small crew base so I got to know the CC & they were amazed at the HON limo service since the aircraft always had an outside position.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Christ, I was hoping for a reminiscence of how nice BMI was and all the find memories we have of BMI, then of course we descend into Brexit bickering again. So ....... tiresome. Washing line blew down - BREXIT! Cat's boils burst - BREXIT! Child sneezes on bus without covering face - BREXIT!

Loved BMI, my company had a deal where we automatically got upgraded and lounge access, and the leather armchair seats onboard I just felt like I had arrived. Loved BCal and Dan Dare too! And then BA destroyed it....
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63

Extremy sad 😔

I used to love the BMI operated wetlease from FRA to MAN, genuinely something to look forward to, better seats, better catering & small crew base so I got to know the CC & they were amazed at the HON limo service since the aircraft always had an outside position.
I was mostly LHR-FRA and those were exactly my experiences of that route. Dunno about the limo service though!
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
I think it would be nice if we left Brexit and its role in bmi's demise off this thread and maybe parked it somewhere better suited to strong opinions (OMNI).

Some of what they flew was useful, some profitable. Maybe they had too many aircraft, or aircraft too expensive to operate, and couldn't get the right routes to survive.

I'm finding it hard to believe that BRS hasn't demonstrated enough demand for routes to FRA and MUC for LH (Regional) to operate it well. Whether they have the fleet to do that is another question. Routes like BRS-HAM and BRS-DUS, which each ran 6x weekly and collectively carried only 2,000 passengers a month seem to have been closer to follies
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Air France still seems to think that their flybmi-operated flights continue to operate as normal!!!

Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:07 am
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
I think it would be nice if we left Brexit and its role in bmi's demise off this thread and maybe parked it somewhere better suited to strong opinions (OMNI).

Some of what they flew was useful, some profitable. Maybe they had too many aircraft, or aircraft too expensive to operate, and couldn't get the right routes to survive.

I'm finding it hard to believe that BRS hasn't demonstrated enough demand for routes to FRA and MUC for LH (Regional) to operate it well. Whether they have the fleet to do that is another question. Routes like BRS-HAM and BRS-DUS, which each ran 6x weekly and collectively carried only 2,000 passengers a month seem to have been closer to follies
It would create a wrong picture leaving out the role Brexit plays here in this case since - although it is certainly not the main cause of flyBMI´s failure - it is clearly the final kick that broke their neck ...
I agree with you regarding the rather mixed bowl of routes and they should have taken corrective action much earlier.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
FR24 is showing two (or four?) departures and arrivals to/from Bristol each on Monday at CEG (Harwarden Airport in Wales) where an Airbus factory is located. They are charter flights for Airbus employees and supposed to be operated by bmi Regional and/or Germania, both of which ceased operation within the last two weeks.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
FR24 is showing two (or four?) departures and arrivals to/from Bristol each on Monday at CEG (Harwarden Airport in Wales) where an Airbus factory is located. They are charter flights for Airbus employees and supposed to be operated by bmi Regional and/or Germania, both of which ceased operation within the last two weeks.
Moral of this story. Don't operate the Airbus shuttle. I'm pretty sure BRS-HAM was supposed to be predominantly for Airbus employees (always seemed to be when I flew it), so I hope Airbus was paying Ł500 per passenger per one way, if only 1,000 people month flew it (average - 10 per day each way).
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
According to BBC a family of five flying to MUC on the way to Austria for a skiing holiday had already cleared security in BRS when they found their flight had been cancelled. They were sent by taxi to LHR where they boarded a Lufthansa flight to MUC. They don’t know how they are going to get back.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Wow, a sad end of yet another airline. It was great while BMI lasted .... their FQTV program was the best
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
Yes and no. You can leave out the role of the UK leaving the EU. Remaining in the EU, leaving without a deal , leaving with a deal: all that scenarios have their pros and cons and it is hard to say, what were their effects on flybmi.

But you can’t leave out the fact, that nobody knows, on which legal base and even if at all there will be business between the UK and the EU after March 29, which is in less than six weeks. Hard to get money from investors under that perspective, not easy for airlines even without that uncertainty. Relocating the headquarters to an EU country costs money and in the case of flybmi it would really help either.
Tyrolean and Cascades42 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yawn... usual lefty BS.

Anyway, as some people were asking, Skytrax 5* “Nonstop You” Lufthansa will have a policy for pax/agents what the options will be for LH codeshares on Monday.

chris63 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perfect place to discuss Brexit and if it was an issue for flybmi: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...iscussion.html
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIR LH used to pay bmi per pax transported on the codeshares, but no regular off take to ensure cash flow. The Airbus traffic was the backbone of the cashflow for the airline, together with some PSO flying in Sweden and the UK. With no clarity on the status of UK registered aircraft being allowed to operate inside the EU27 after Brexit this little airline sadly crashed and burned. The E135/145 fleet is way too small and must have been a serious cash burner. Curious what the crew will do.

As far as people on LH issued tickets go, LH always has a standing waiver to rebook onto flights departing <249 miles away for cancelled flights. For BRS that covers all of England & Wales: Great Circle Mapper
Tyrolean likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.