Wiki Posts
Search

flybmi goes under

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN/*G
flybmi goes under

flybmi has gone under this evening. They operated a number of flights as codeshares for LH and SN, mostly out of BRS and MUC.

It probably brings to a final end the bmi saga, which has been intertwined with Lufthansa over the years.

In the short term, it cuts a few places off from the Star Alliance hubs (again). BRS, EMA, NCL won't have any flights to BRU, and BRS loses virtually all its connections to Germany (FRA, MUC, HAM, DUS).

My experience of bmi was 99% positive, with generally great crews. Their major problem was (imo) a dangerously high rate of cancellations.

If anything good could come out of this, it might be LH coming back to BRS. (SN are due to revert to operating BRS-BRU with at AR85 at end of March, so I guess they may bring that forward).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:29 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A very sad day for all former bmi flyers.
Markie, LapLap, cfischer and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

So true. It was the little airline that just kept going and going until one day it couldn't. Sad times.

I have sympathy with the board's statement that Brexit has weighed heavily on the airline. I'm sure they needed more funding, and nobody has the appetite to risk investment on the current level of political crazy in the UK, particularly for an airline so interwoven with Europe.
Crampedin13A, lhrpete, MHG and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by BristolTraveller
If anything good could come out of this, it might be LH coming back to BRS. (SN are due to revert to operating BRS-BRU with at AR85 at end of March, so I guess they may bring that forward).
Those SN flights would be operated by CityJet Avro’s with 3-3 seating, a lot less comfortable than the old SN 2-3 seating that I spent hours on.

Like others, as ex-BMI Gold I am a bit sad. Still remember the GUVs and free drinks in Y for Gold. And the LHR T1 lounge and bmi Baby into EMA. Those were different times.
hugolover and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
A real pity and I hope there won't be too many more airline collapses for some time now. This one is linked back to bmi International which was previously British Midland. When I was at school and then at university I used to fly with them a lot between Scotland and London, enjoying the great service in those days. Always hated BA for absorbing bmi (as well as Dan Air and BCal). I was hoping they would last and strengthen somehow, but they were flying all those graveyard routes around Europe that Cirrus and Intersky seemed to do.
lhrpete and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
I have a flight booked BRS-MUC-HKG ticketed on LH. Anyone got a copy of LH's rebooking policy sent to travel agents?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MichielR
And the LHR T1 lounge . Those were different times.
Different times indeed. I loved that lounge, spend countless hours there after my NZ flights from HKG or LAX. Always loved the little BMI.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seattle29
I have a flight booked BRS-MUC-HKG ticketed on LH. Anyone got a copy of LH's rebooking policy sent to travel agents?
I've not seen that, but when LH left BRS in a hurry last time (April 2008 iirc), they offered rebook from BHX or.LHR, which was not terribly helpful. Depending on when you're due to fly, LH may be able to offer BRS-BRU-FRA-HKG.

I've a BRS-BRU due in mid March, booked on an SN ticket. I'm going to see what plays out over the next couple of weeks before working too hard on a Plan B.

Loganair have said they'll continue flying (pointedly mentioning that they use props, not the Embys) and may take over some ex-BM routes, but my guess is that will be things like BRS-ABZ, rather than Germany.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:39 pm
LOI

Programs: NH DIA, Flying Blue Platinum, AA Plat
With bmi gone there is no flights left from NRK- they were the only operator, flying twice daily to MUC. Wonder if someone might jump in?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Can anyone explain the relationship of this flybmi airline to the bmi who were bought by and merged into BA? I didn’t think there was anything left of bmi after that.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by salut0
Can anyone explain the relationship of this flybmi airline to the bmi who were bought by and merged into BA? I didn’t think there was anything left of bmi after that.
Some info on how bmi regional aka flybmi started in this thread:
01Jun12 : bmi Regional sold to Sector Aviation Holdings; ends Diamond Club 30Sep12
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb

It’s such a shame. I always saw their operations in Europe as a diversification away from UK centric regional ops helping to mitigate risks in market demand. I guess with Brexit the perceived risks actually increased
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:37 pm

It‘s Feb 17 and flybmi doesn‘t know if they will be allowed to operate most of their routes after March 29. That is not the same like having the risk to not being allowed to operate these routes. In business you can manage risks, but you can’t manage 100% uncertainty.

Luckily my company is doing very small business with UK customers. It‘s simply impossible to answer any request for proposals as nobody knows how the legal basis will look like.

On the other side the additional funding of the NHS with £350m a week is a great idea, of course.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cross-posting is of course prohibited so I quote my post on European Airlines forum. This Brexit AND the EU killing them off argument is BS as I wrote here:

Originally Posted by hugolover
I have fond memories of BM as a bmi flyer, and did quite a few flights in the closing days of BD because they were often put on GLA-LHR.

Now, 522k pax and 29k flights? That's 18 pax on a flight. On the ER3 that's not even 50% LF. And most routes were ER4.

Shameful of the management to blame Brexit nor the EU. If former BD had gone bust this week, they would have blamed Brexit too. It's just too easy.

So many of their routes seemed to make little sense (LUZ-MUC, really?). LH pocketed all the YQ on the codeshares.

Was there a business case? I sincerely doubt it, because they're now bust.

Is there a single GB AOC airline operating intra-EU flights scheduled left? Does BE still do wetleases for SN? I'm struggling to think of one?
Flybmi into administration -all flights cancelled
chris63, Silver Fox and zeer0 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:57 pm

Well, it may be possible, that a guy, who has the flu and who got shot in the head by a shotgun, got killed by the flu. But I wouldn’t call it BS to assume, that he might got killed by the shotgun.
EuropeanPete, mmff and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.