Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captains Judgement. Your opinions?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Last month I happened to have lunch with our MX country manager and asked him if he ever heard of such harrassment of Germans entering the country by immigration officials. He said he is part of a network of German companies and he hadn't heard about any such incidents. He raised an eyebrow when I described what was reported here. He said such deportation needs to be signed off by the head of the unit of the immigration department at the airport. Since the airline also has to pay a fine for each refused passenger it is rather high profile and any officer refusing entry for the purpose of getting a bribe would get into serious trouble with his superiors...
You realize that when corruption is widespread the bosses are in on it?
chris63, hugolover and polinka like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Since the pax arrived drunk from a trans-Atlantic flight I’m assuming he got drunk while on the airplane, so looks like LH bore some responsibility for this. How drunk could he be, to be denied entrance to Mexico? Was he being abusive or threatening or unable to walk? We aren’t told this. Makes me wonder if something else was going on. And as for the captain not wanting him back on board - seems like after a couple of hours of negotiations he would have sobered up and presented no more trouble.

We see more and more of these stories about flights being diverted, delayed or even canceled because of “unruly” passengers, and I have to wonder how big a threat are they really - assuming they’re unarmed, which they should be if security is doing their job. Are they raging up and down the aisles, hitting people? Or are they just loud and obnoxious? As a passenger, I could put up with a lot of obnoxious before I would want my plane diverted or delayed. Maybe it’s time we allow flight attendants to use restraints on these folks till they calm down, rather than mess up the travel plans of several hundred innocent passengers.
htb, polinka and HMPS like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being “drunk” on a U.K. aircraft is an offence under the Air Navigation Order (so they should arrest half of BArbs J and F cabins) but my question is? Does Germany have such a law?
chris63 and HMPS like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:15 pm

Mexico denies entry? How delicious.

Originally Posted by hugolover
What a joke for MEX to deny such a pax. A country with its priorities in order and denying pax... a real LOL moment. Helga fed him too much booze I expect. Tea and biccies for her.

If he is inadmissible due to drunk/disorderly he goes to JAIL...not back on a flight. That's how it would work in every country. The doors were open and pax disembarked, so the jurisdiction would be Mexico wouldn't it? Threaten to cancel a flight because Captain refused pax? He is perfectly within his rights to offload the pax and for him to go into some kind of holding or jail. The safety of the aircraft comes first. I presume Mexico is a party to the ICAO?

If a carrier declares an emergency situation and wishes to divert to MEX due to drunk/disorderly pax, they will refuse pax entry and force him back onboard and then refuse take-off permission until they take pax?

Ridiculous.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:24 pm

Not s

Not surprised. Just another reason that although My state borders MEX we, nor any of our friends or coworkers vacation there anymore.
f4freeJunior, hugolover and HMPS like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
If LH served alcohol beyond "limits" and allowed pax to be intoxicated, it should offer compensation.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:37 am

The captain is the "general manager" of the bar that served the passenger

How can the pilot refuse to take the customer back after his staff was responsible to over serving the passenger?

Of course, I suspect it was a different pilot flying back, but when a bar has a shift change, the new staff is responsible for what the first staff did incorrectly.

I know the mission of the pilot includes far more than "managing the bar and restaurant", but that is still part of the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.