FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Luggage Check in on separate tickets CA to LH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1955921-luggage-check-separate-tickets-ca-lh.html)

anaidross Feb 12, 2019 10:21 am

Luggage Check in on separate tickets CA to LH

Dear all

I like to see your expertise with luggage check-in with separate tickets.

I would be flying business class with CA from PEK to FRA that entitles me to 2 pieces of 32kg.

Thereafter, I have a separate economy ticket with LH from FRA - MUC that entitles me to 2 pieces of 23 kg (due to *A gold status).

Question now being, if I were to check in with 2 pieces of 32 kg with CA from PEK - FRA, will CA allow my luggages to be check through from FRA - MUC. My concern being, the luggage weight is exceeded between FRA - MUC.

Appreciate your views on this matter.

TPJ Feb 12, 2019 5:19 pm

I was able to check baggage to the final destination without any problem (traveling on separate tickets from both FRA and CTU, the only time my request was rejected was in AKL).

I have never had an experience when my baggage was above allowance, though...

oliver2002 Feb 13, 2019 3:51 am

Your bigger challenge will be to first explain and then convince the CA checkin agent in PEK to check your luggage thru to MUC. Usually they are not eager to do such thing....

marctbb Feb 13, 2019 4:53 am

Originally Posted by anaidross (Post 30769387)
Dear all

I like to see your expertise with luggage check-in with separate tickets.

I would be flying business class with CA from PEK to FRA that entitles me to 2 pieces of 32kg.

Thereafter, I have a separate economy ticket with LH from FRA - MUC that entitles me to 2 pieces of 23 kg (due to *A gold status).

Question now being, if I were to check in with 2 pieces of 32 kg with CA from PEK - FRA, will CA allow my luggages to be check through from FRA - MUC. My concern being, the luggage weight is exceeded between FRA - MUC.

Appreciate your views on this matter.

general issue is the counter, you’re original carrier can check you through within SA and the first ticket matters, unless you have a light fare for your connection

eg AC yyc to fra then LH to vce

​​​if it’s a partner airline checkin let’s say AirDomiti, local conpany, it doesn’t work because they don’t have access

I have had several similar itineraries and not once had an issue

anaidross Feb 13, 2019 9:10 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 30772699)
Your bigger challenge will be to first explain and then convince the CA checkin agent in PEK to check your luggage thru to MUC. Usually they are not eager to do such thing....

I never had any trouble with checking luggage through, with separate ticket, before, even flying with different alliances.

But I usual travel within the lowest weight limit like TPJ. Henceforth, the question.

Originally Posted by marctbb (Post 30772815)
general issue is the counter, you’re original carrier can check you through within SA and the first ticket matters, unless you have a light fare for your connection
:
I have had several similar itineraries and not once had an issue

Thanks for the tip marctbb. Hopefully, I could share the same experience...:)

anaidross Feb 18, 2019 10:26 am

Originally Posted by marctbb (Post 30772815)

Managed to check luggage in all the way till MUC based on first ticket. Many thanks for your advices.