Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

300k miles expiring in February 2020 - Suggestions on what to use them for?

Old Feb 9, 19, 9:43 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK *G, FPC, GA/AG

So it is that time of the year again: I checked a family members miles&more account only to discorver that they have over 346k miles that are going to expire in 2020. That's a lot of miles with which you could buy lots of cool stuff. But what should they spend it on? F class round trips are hard to come by and requires one to be flexible, First class upgrades from business are possible but the only upcoming business flight hasn't got any free award seats.
I don't want to spend them on the world shop as that would be a terrible value for the miles. So what to do?

The family member in question has a flight to Seoul on SQ (potentially one leg LX) this year, but as far as I know SQ does not allow upgrades form J to their suites class and the leg from SIN to ICN has no First class cabin. Only the return leg from SIN to ZRH will be operated by LX and there I will try to upgrade them to First with a cost of 50k miles. This will leave us with another 294k miles to spend. What to do with those? Are there any fancy F class round trips to have? As mentioned flexibility is a problem and since they have no status access to inventory is limited.

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions

Cheers
Old Feb 9, 19, 2:30 pm

Programs: M&M, SPG, LHW
Instead of burning the miles, I would also look at alternatives to prevent them from expiring:

A) I would try to pool the miles within the family if that is possible. (i.e. if it's your children's miles which expire, then yes, if it's your parents or other relatives, maybe not so easy, but it does say "friends" in the terms, which does seem to leave some room as to whom you can pool with)
An important advantage of the pool is that whoever in your mileage pool is using miles will always use up the miles which expire first. (At least, that is my experience)

B) If the person in question is an adult, then why not apply for a credit card to avoid the miles from expiring?

C) Upgrade C > F for SIN-ZRH will be at least 60k miles per person. Not sure if you meant to upgrade "them" as in "more than one person" travelling.
It would at least use a bit more more than 50k, if LX is releasing upgrades to F.

D) Is reaching FTL out of reach? - That would solve the problem, too.

E) I found that there are still sometimes awards to be had at relatively short notice (1-2 months out) to places one might really like to go.
For example, we found some business award seats to Japan last summer for the whole family, which I found to be a good value vs. using cash.
A few years ago, we got business awards to the US west coast in the middle of the school holidays in fall.
Old Feb 9, 19, 3:21 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Don't forget to consider the mileage bargains. Perhaps the whole thing could be planned to maximise them. I am facing exactly the same thing this year, but in this case the miles are expiring end of March, not end February. I think that will be the same in your case too.
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:34 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
Instead of burning the miles, I would also look at alternatives to prevent them from expiring:

A) I would try to pool the miles within the family if that is possible. (i.e. if it's your children's miles which expire, then yes, if it's your parents or other relatives, maybe not so easy, but it does say "friends" in the terms, which does seem to leave some room as to whom you can pool with)
An important advantage of the pool is that whoever in your mileage pool is using miles will always use up the miles which expire first. (At least, that is my experience)

B) If the person in question is an adult, then why not apply for a credit card to avoid the miles from expiring?

C) Upgrade C > F for SIN-ZRH will be at least 60k miles per person. Not sure if you meant to upgrade "them" as in "more than one person" travelling.
It would at least use a bit more more than 50k, if LX is releasing upgrades to F.

D) Is reaching FTL out of reach? - That would solve the problem, too.

E) I found that there are still sometimes awards to be had at relatively short notice (1-2 months out) to places one might really like to go.
For example, we found some business award seats to Japan last summer for the whole family, which I found to be a good value vs. using cash.
A few years ago, we got business awards to the US west coast in the middle of the school holidays in fall.
A.) They are already pooled (husband and wife, wife being FTL, but only holding 40k miles). I am sadly too old to be included

B.) There is a requirement of using the credit card every month and while they used to have one they didnít use it and they also donít see it as an option (I will try again to strongly recommend it)

C.) I just realized that the flight will be booked under the SQ flight number, basically eliminating the possibility of an upgrade with miles.

D.) Not a chance. As mentioned one if the pooling partner has it, the other with the 300k miles moved to another program where they achieved *G while in M&M they only ever became FTL.

E.) Will se if we find something.
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Don't forget to consider the mileage bargains. Perhaps the whole thing could be planned to maximise them. I am facing exactly the same thing this year, but in this case the miles are expiring end of March, not end February. I think that will be the same in your case too.
You are right, but flexibility is a huge problem.
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art View Post
B.) There is a requirement of using the credit card every month and while they used to have one they didnít use it and they also donít see it as an option (I will try again to strongly recommend it)
Put your Spotify/Netflix/Amazon prime account on the LH credit card. They can forget it exists and it gets automatic monthly action.
chris63, Nick Art and mmff like this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: LH HON**,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by malmostoso View Post
Put your Spotify/Netflix/Amazon prime account on the LH credit card. They can forget it exists and it gets automatic monthly action.
+1
A single low value recurring payment is all thatís needed.
mmff likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But this requirement to use the card every month doesn't apply to Germany, does it? I have never seen that rule intimated here. Maybe it's just non German M&M cards to whom that rule applies.
Old Feb 11, 19, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
But this requirement to use the card every month doesn't apply to Germany, does it? I have never seen that rule intimated here. Maybe it's just non German M&M cards to whom that rule applies.
Yes. In Germany it is enough to own the card.
Old Feb 11, 19, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
Yes. In Germany it is enough to own the card.
Too bad Iím in Switzerland then...