FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   baggage allowance on award tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1846845-baggage-allowance-award-tickets.html)

SF1K Feb 8, 2016 10:07 pm

Baggage Allowance used MP Award?

So not sure whether to post this here or in UA forum. Just booked AMS to MUC using MP miles. I'm assuming this will allow 2 bags x 23KG (I'm star gold). But just want to confirm since I see there are now LH fares that don't allow any checked luggage.

oliver2002 Feb 8, 2016 11:04 pm

Awards usually have the same privileges as the 'classic' fares. Just look at the ticket issued by United, it should say 1PC (plus 1 piece extra as *G).

Gobus Jun 7, 2017 7:24 am

zero baggage allowance on award tickets?

1 Attachment(s)
I booked a United award ticket booked with Swiss as the operating carrier, in J. I have star alliance gold through TK. The United ticket lists baggage allowance as 2 free bags but also listed Swiss rules apply.

I put in the ticket number on Swiss's site and retrieved the reservation. Fare class is listed as I. It says "no free check-in baggage" in bold for first two Swiss legs (see picture, no baggage info listed for last leg on United). Is that accurate? No bags available for checking in while flying J, intercontinental? Flight is DEL-ZRH-ORD-CMI.

Is this a template message or will I really not be able to check in bags? (I think new "light" fares don't even allow the extra *G bag allowance).

I also have a companion on the same PNR, also award ticket - booked both together with United miles. Companion is not *G.

Unterwegs Jun 7, 2017 10:17 am

Search is your friend. Google fnds:

https://www.swiss.com/za/en/prepare/...l#t-page=pane2

In short: Swiss has 2 pc 32 kg each for business class. Add one piece for star gold.
No difference between paid and award tickets.

Gobus Jun 7, 2017 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 28414568)
Search is your friend. Google fnds:

https://www.swiss.com/za/en/prepare/...l#t-page=pane2

In short: Swiss has 2 pc 32 kg each for business class. Add one piece for star gold.
No difference between paid and award tickets.

Thank you for your response. I've done the google and the swiss site. I do understand standard allowances. I was just wondering about Swiss very explicitly listing zero baggage allowance as shown in the screenshot I posted. It's there twice actually, once spelled out in English, and then later again in numerals listing checked bags allowed.

That is why I asked here. The only difference I could come up with was the fare class. And it didn't/doesn't make any sense to me why business class ticket should have zero bags listed.

Unterwegs Jun 7, 2017 1:24 pm

I never noticed a difference between paid and awards. Sometimes I need to take a lot of stuff. 4 suotcases 32 kg each in F, award or paid was never an issue with LX. The Uber/Taxi at the other end might be a problem.....

NewbieRunner Jun 8, 2017 5:31 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Gobus (Post 28413828)
I booked a United award ticket booked with Swiss as the operating carrier, in J. I have star alliance gold through TK. The United ticket lists baggage allowance as 2 free bags but also listed Swiss rules apply.

I put in the ticket number on Swiss's site and retrieved the reservation. Fare class is listed as I. It says "no free check-in baggage" in bold for first two Swiss legs (see picture, no baggage info listed for last leg on United). Is that accurate? No bags available for checking in while flying J, intercontinental? Flight is DEL-ZRH-ORD-CMI.

Is this a template message or will I really not be able to check in bags? (I think new "light" fares don't even allow the extra *G bag allowance).

I thought I had come across something similar but couldn't find any screenshot. Then Facebook reminded me I posted this 3 years ago today. It was my last US Airways Dividend Miles redemption on LX in Business. Since I knew it was an error I ignored the comment about no free baggage but joked that I shouldn't have expected much for 80K miles plus taxes for MAN-NRT return in Business. :p

By the way the "light" fare with no checked baggage only applies to flights within Europe but does not provide extra bag allowance for *G.

ProfessorChaos Jun 8, 2017 11:12 am

I see the same for both paid and award flights booked on LX from UA.

Gobus Jun 8, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for looking that up. I take you got that similar allowance listed but found it didn't apply. That's the kind of experience I was hoping to find. I just found this really weird, but, I can believe just about any restriction, previously-free and now not, and add-on fees airlines impose.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 28417967)
I thought I had come across something similar but couldn't find any screenshot. Then Facebook reminded me I posted this 3 years ago today. It was my last US Airways Dividend Miles redemption on LX in Business. Since I knew it was an error I ignored the comment about no free baggage but joked that I shouldn't have expected much for 80K miles plus taxes for MAN-NRT return in Business. :p

By the way the "light" fare with no checked baggage only applies to flights within Europe but does not provide extra bag allowance for *G.

vantage03 Jun 8, 2017 11:57 am

I went to book a business class award on LX today (ZRH-MIA) and it said "no cabin baggage allowed, no check in baggage allowed", or something very similar.

This is on the M&M site. I thought it was VERY odd. I didn't go through with the booking, but it doesn't seem right to me.

YuropFlyer Jun 10, 2017 2:21 am

Their IT just isn't really up to the task and spits out weird results. It's not just with baggage. On long haul, at least for the moment, you'll always have free checkin as well as hand luggage, accordingly to the class you booked (op-up's do NOT change your original allowance) - ie 1*23kg in Economy, 2*32kg in Business, 3*32kg in First, plus status benefits.

Short haul is an entirely different matter. If you book "Light Business" (ie a Light Fare+direct Upsale to Business during booking), you indeed won't have any checkin luggage for free. And no M&M/*G benefits either

Gobus Jun 10, 2017 10:15 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 28425492)
Their IT just isn't really up to the task and spits out weird results. It's not just with baggage. On long haul, at least for the moment, you'll always have free checkin as well as hand luggage, accordingly to the class you booked (op-up's do NOT change your original allowance) - ie 1*23kg in Economy, 2*32kg in Business, 3*32kg in First, plus status benefits.

Short haul is an entirely different matter. If you book "Light Business" (
ie a Light Fare+direct Upsale to Business during booking), you indeed won't have any checkin luggage for free. And no M&M/*G benefits either

Thanks for the confirmation!

Causes me to wonder... if somehow it is matching award tickets to their "Light" fares, and that's why it says no luggage. I hope that is not the case. I prefer your explanation of bad IT systems... that explains all sorts of weirdness :-) A fairly basic bad if/switch statement would do the job! :D

Originally Posted by vantage03 (Post 28419303)
I went to book a business class award on LX today (ZRH-MIA) and it said "no cabin baggage allowed, no check in baggage allowed", or something very similar.

No cabin baggage in business... gets weirder and weirder.

cfischer Jun 11, 2017 1:26 am

this has been broken for a very long time. The same bag allowance applies for award tickets. We just flew on a UA award ticket on LX in I-class last week and the usual free bag allowance applied (was showing correctly during OLCI)

tomcat007 Jun 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 28428296)
this has been broken for a very long time. The same bag allowance applies for award tickets. We just flew on a UA award ticket on LX in I-class last week and the usual free bag allowance applied (was showing correctly during OLCI)

I had the same problem when booking Swiss business with united miles. Glad to know its an IT issue

keloutwest Jun 6, 2018 9:28 pm

What about Economy?

Same question, but this time Austrian's website shows 0 bags on a VIE-TLV economy award ticket using UA miles. Does anyone know if award tickets in coach map to the economy light fare with no baggage allowance? I'm a UA *G if that matters.