Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH cancels UA operated codeshare: EU261 issue?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:00 am
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
LH cancels UA operated codeshare: EU261 issue?

Ok, I have a new case, here is the deal.

I was supposed to fly from FRA-EWR on a LH ticket, but on UA metal.

So LH informed me through their app that my flight was cancelled. So I asked what to do and they said we have already rebooked you for a day later.
Unfortunatly because of this 24 hour I lose the purpose to travel to NY and therefore I told them I did not want to fly anymore. Lh cancelled my ticket and refunded me.

Now, I want to file a EU-261 compensation request because they have cancelled wihtin a few hours before the flight. But now comes the crazy thing. The flight was not cancelled. It was operated as normal, but somehow LH thought it was cancelled and told me that, plus rebook and later cancel. LH is now saying that I should file my compensationrequest to UA because they are the operating airline. So I went to UA and they told me they never cancelled this flight for me, and that it was done by LH without any clear reason.

So what should I do now? I am inclined to hold LH responsible because it was their ticket, and they took the initiative to cancel my fligth without a reason ( probably an error in their system). so because my ticket was cancelled because of airline mistake I assume 261 is applicable.

Anybody any idea or experiences with this? Thanks for all the input.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
Under EU261 it is the OPERATING carrier that is liable for the compensation. So here it is UA and not LH.
But UA actually performed the flight. So no compensation under EU261 here.
You can talk to LH for further compensation as they screwed up but it would not be under EU261.
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:49 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by chebert999
Under EU261 it is the OPERATING carrier that is liable for the compensation. So here it is UA and not LH.
But UA actually performed the flight. So no compensation under EU261 here.
You can talk to LH for further compensation as they screwed up but it would not be under EU261.
Hard lesson learned, an intl flight (or any flight for that matter) cncld a few hours before dptr, the best source of 411 is the actual operator of that flight, even more so when there is no other carrier involved other than as a marketing agent. Sorry to hear of your situation
Often1 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Sounds like a LH screw-up. Probably not EC reg 261 territory since UA operated the flight as scheduled. LH is notorious for not providing any compensation ... good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can file your EC261 claim with either airline, but only one of them, per https://www.claimair.com/blog/how-to...eshare-flight/
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by mduell
You can file your EC261 claim with either airline, but only one of them, per https://www.claimair.com/blog/how-to...eshare-flight/
The claim agencies will definitely not touch this case, since they'll determinate that the flight(s) went on time.

For this kind of "weird" experience, I'd say OP better takes it up with LH (who were the one's apparently screwing it up)

MAYBE asking on the LH forum if anyone else had an experience similar to his could help.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:56 pm
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts and advice, ill bring it to the LH forum now.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:57 pm
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

EU261 issue

Ok, I have a new case, here is the deal.

So LH informed me through their app that my flight was cancelled. So I asked what to do and they said we have already rebooked you for a day later.
Unfortunatly because of this 24 hour I lose the purpose to travel to NY and therefore I told them I did not want to fly anymore. Lh cancelled my ticket and refunded me.

Now, I want to file a EU-261 compensation request because they have cancelled wihtin a few hours before the flight. But now comes the crazy thing. The flight was not cancelled. It was operated as normal, but somehow LH thought it was cancelled and told me that, plus rebook and later cancel. LH is now saying that I should file my compensationrequest to UA because they are the operating airline. So I went to UA and they told me they never cancelled this flight for me, and that it was done by LH without any clear reason.

So what should I do now? I am inclined to hold LH responsible because it was their ticket, and they took the initiative to cancel my fligth without a reason ( probably an error in their system). so because my ticket was cancelled because of airline mistake I assume 261 is applicable.

Anybody any idea or experiences with this? Thanks for all the input.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:06 pm

Have you received any written communication from LH as to the cancellation of the flight and subsequent rebooking? If so, you might have a leg to stand on since you have evidence of LH not exercising their duty of care. That being said, if I had a nickel for every time an airline screwed up generally, and LH specifically, I would be a very rich person!

Side note: This is the same airline that refused to allow a Canadian to check-in to a flight to Detroit because Canadians aren't part of the VWP and don't qualify for an ESTA! It was only after asking for a supervisor and pointing out that Canadians are part of the show your passport and enter the damn country program that they realized the stupidity of their ways.

-James
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hollandair
Thanks for all your thoughts and advice, ill bring it to the LH forum now.
Will move this to the LH forum, so there will just be a single thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 3, 2019, 2:49 pm
Used to be guidogh
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Have you received any written communication from LH as to the cancellation of the flight and subsequent rebooking? If so, you might have a leg to stand on since you have evidence of LH not exercising their duty of care. That being said, if I had a nickel for every time an airline screwed up generally, and LH specifically, I would be a very rich person!

Side note: This is the same airline that refused to allow a Canadian to check-in to a flight to Detroit because Canadians aren't part of the VWP and don't qualify for an ESTA! It was only after asking for a supervisor and pointing out that Canadians are part of the show your passport and enter the damn country program that they realized the stupidity of their ways.

-James
Yes, the responded on social media that “ they are aware of the cancellation and apologize for the inconvenience”

I think they only checked their own system and not actual flight status. So they confirmed to me when I asked that the flight was cancelled, while in fact it was not.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
You have to approach UA, as the flight cancelled was their metal. EU261/04 applies, as it is an flight departing the EU and therefore even not EU airlines have to comply with the rule.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
When is the flight planned? Within the next 14 days?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:55 pm

When is / was the flight planned? And how many days in advance it was cancelled? Your original wording is not clear. Please clarify in order to be capable to provide you with correct answers.

Quote:
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is a mistake to pursue a claim under EC 261/2004. LH was not the operating carrier and thus has no responsibility under the Regulation. This does not mean, however, that LH will not do something for you as a matter of a customer service gesture.

The vast majority of passengers worldwide fly every day on flights not covered by either this Regulation or anything comparable. Carriers manage to do a decent job of making good on their errors.

I would file a customer service note with LH making it clear that this is not a cancellation compensation request, but rather a request that something be done to make up for LH's error which cannot be compensated in any other way (UA certainly has no responsibility as it operated its flight).

The advice above to always check these things with the operating carrier is sound.
chris63, Xyzzy, TerryK and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.