Wiki Posts
Search

New mileage chart for redemptions starting May 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by mario_s

For members who are residents of Egypt, Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and the USA, the regular award amounts will apply in the future.
Really ?

Is’nt that discrimination ?

TUN has nice fares, I’m packing my M&L bags now
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mario_s
looks like it affects:

The mileage amount on intercontinental flights will increase for return trips in Business Class by a total of 7,000 miles, and 12,000 miles in First Class.

On flights within a continent – with the exception of Europe – the mileage amount for return trips will increase by a total of 5,000 miles. For example, you can fly from Toronto to Los Angeles in Economy Class for 35,000 miles.

The “Round the World” flight award will increase by 10,000 miles in Business Class, and 20,000 miles in First Class.

The “three
region” flight award will increase by 10,000 miles in Business Class, and 20,000 miles in First Class.

For members who are residents of Egypt, Algeria, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and the USA, the regular award amounts will apply in the future.
This is much worse than I thought it was. I didn't see all this information before. So that means domestic US tickets will be much less of a deal than they were, only worth it for coast to coast trips now. They would have had a cheek if they had raised the European levels again. Didn't they raise European award ticket levels by 5,000 miles ago just last year?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
I'm very new to M&M but thinking of crediting NZ Z fare tickets. For Premium economy Ex-USA -> Europe what are the surcharges likes ? I'm not able to see any calculations besides miles needed since I have a 0 mileage balance.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
What about upgrades? Could not find anything.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
I'm very new to M&M but thinking of crediting NZ Z fare tickets. For Premium economy Ex-USA -> Europe what are the surcharges likes ? I'm not able to see any calculations besides miles needed since I have a 0 mileage balance.
LAX-FRA, JFK-FRA or ORD-FRA in Premium Economy is 40k miles plus 224.20 USD or 245.80 USD via MUC.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Originally Posted by Concerto
Well at least it's not too extreme. Seems to be 7,000 more in Business and 12,000 more in First. And frankly, the program is so utterly devalued that if they run it down any more they might as well just close it. Not a single person I have met, including relatively frequent flyers, take M&M seriously as a loyalty programme and could never be bothered collecting the way we do. It's just not worth it, I repeatedly hear. I imagine the programme makes money somehow, because otherwise they really would close it down. TBH, I expected the next devaluation to consist of a combination of yet again raising those ridiculous bogus surcharges with an increasing paucity of award seats. I just wish, for once, I could say something solidly positive about M&M. But I just can't. I feel they are simply taking the mickey, taking us for fools.
As annoying as this may be, they will easily get away with it, given what comparable carriers are doing. Therefore, ongoing dilution is here to stay. For my long haul route awards in premium cabins, e.g., Europe to the Middle and Far East, MM still works out to be quite a bit cheaper than my other usual carriers, EK and SQ (e.g., one ways with MM are substantially cheaper, with earning not really much worse). So, e.g., when I fly revenue SQ I post to MM (then the revenue model doesn‘t apply), and also use the MM awards on SQ metal. For Europe-SIN one way business so far that worked out to 67‘500 MM with the lower SQ award surcharges, as opposed to 87‘000 Krisflyer as Saver (or 71’000 vs. 92’000 with the new tables, so even slightly better than before) or 103‘750 Skywards as Flex miles (MM does not penalize for one ways the way Skywards does). And look at the bright side: at least places like Dubai haven‘t changed!

Last edited by Wtravel; Jan 25, 2019 at 9:25 pm
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
I guess it only makes sense to credit to M&M for the status benefits of HON/SEN if flying extensively/exclusively on LH group carriers.

Sadly this seems to happen across the industry - I can’t think of a major airline that hasn’t increased award pricing in recent years.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ung1
I guess it only makes sense to credit to M&M for the status benefits of HON/SEN if flying extensively/exclusively on LH group carriers.
You’re right. It’s a loyalty program. They’re rewarding their more loyal customers.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You know, this whole devaluation thing can be a bit deceptive. I remind that the redemption values on STC (Swiss TravelClub) were much higher than they are now. I was a heavy user of STC and those miles tickets to Hong Kong and Australia were not cheap. In those days I redeemed only in Economy. I recall a RAT to Hong Kong being 120,000 in Economy.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by vantage03

You’re right. It’s a loyalty program. They’re rewarding their more loyal customers.
Yeah, but honestly I wouldn't even bother with SEN. You get "rewarded" by earning fewer miles than if you were crediting from another *A partner, and it is much harder to achieve *Gold than with other programs. The status benefits are the same as with *G on any other program (almost).

The status benefits with HON are great if you fly a lot of short haul - but that is a small sliver of their "loyal" passengers.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Yeah, but honestly I wouldn't even bother with SEN. You get "rewarded" by earning fewer miles than if you were crediting from another *A partner, and it is much harder to achieve *Gold than with other programs. The status benefits are the same as with *G on any other program (almost).

The status benefits with HON are great if you fly a lot of short haul - but that is a small sliver of their "loyal" passengers.
It's harder to make SEN, but it lasts longer. The only other "good" *A program at this level is UA 1K. And it is so irritatingly bad I abandoned it.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat

Tbh having also been TK*G, UA*G and SQ*G (and still am PPS), when I was SEN, I felt significantly more valued by LH than in any of the other programmes, and I received more tangible benefits; including direct drive in case of near connection miss (not a guarantee by any means, but a nice surprise every now and then), exclusive access to First Class rewards, miles you can actually use (tbh SQ is good with this as well), a great call centre which answers almost instantly, companion awards, etc etc

We’re all different, YMMV, and you may have far more experience than me, but from my point of view and experience, if you’re flying enough to make SEN anyway then you’re absolutely receiving incremental benefits over being *G in another programme but flying LH Group.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by Concerto
I was a heavy user of STC and those miles tickets to Hong Kong and Australia were not cheap. In those days I redeemed only in Economy. I recall a RAT to Hong Kong being 120,000 in Economy.
And how much cash co-pay (aka "carrier surcharge")?

It's the combination of inflated award chart and absolutely scandalous cash co-pay that has made me ditch Miles&More and not miss it since.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan, M&M
Not surprising considering the ease by which one can collect Payback points and convert them into Miles.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
I fly LH Group quite a bit and it is worthwhile for me to get SEN instead of *Gold: Companion awards, lounge access for the whole family including all kids, SEN request awards, etc.

However, I am still critical of recent M&M changes for the worse.
vantage03 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.