Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEN lounge access with family

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that SN allow partner, companion and children under 18 for SEN at the lounge.

We might end up spending some time in the lounge on the outbound trip as well as the return - 50 minute connection at FRA could be sporty with kids if the first leg is delayed.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:59 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
The rules are the rules and my humble opinion NOT to give too much advantage to families does not count.

At least having such a policy, lounges should have children's corners where those children are comfortable and not a nuisance to others.

The overcrowding will never end and I plead for Senator lounges to be child free and reserved to LH group golds (Senators). The children and gold members of "easy" *gold programs could be accommodated in the business lounges.

SQ got it right in SIN with their Krisflyer Gold lounge which is below the Silverkris lounge where the "real" revenue passengers are welcomed. Virtually *gold free ^.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by behuman
The rules are the rules and my humble opinion NOT to give too much advantage to families does not count.

At least having such a policy, lounges should have children's corners where those children are comfortable and not a nuisance to others.

The overcrowding will never end and I plead for Senator lounges to be child free and reserved to LH group golds (Senators). The children and gold members of "easy" *gold programs could be accommodated in the business lounges.
I am grateful the airlines do not seem to listen to you and your like.

Children are a part of „being human“ and I want to take my kids into the SEN lounges, too. Why shouldn’t I? They have been there many times, the lounge staff knows them by name, and never been a nuisance to others, at least much less so than super important men in suits, shouting into their cellphones.

Families deserve all the support they can get, as they make the world go round.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by worldclubber

I am grateful the airlines do not seem to listen to you and your like.

Children are a part of „being human“ and I want to take my kids into the SEN lounges, too. Why shouldn’t I? They have been there many times, the lounge staff knows them by name, and never been a nuisance to others, at least much less so than super important men in suits, shouting into their cellphones.

Completely agreed on all counts (except the SEN lounge ). My children travel far less than I do (they still need to go to school every once in a while) but spending half an hour before a flight in a lounge is part of the travel routine for them. They are well behaved, having been flying regularly since they were babies. And they love the Wiener schnitzel in the FCT!

Unlike for example BA, LH group airlines offers lounge access to the family of their most loyal members when traveling as a family, mostly in holidays when there are fewer business travelers anyways. Rewarding loyalty and a nice gesture for those who have to miss their SEN/HON parent frequently.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: M&M Senator
I was once told at a SEN lounge in ZRH that this is limited to 10 children. I believe this will not impact many people and find this a rather odd "rule" (if it really is, which I doubt...).
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
They have been there many times, the lounge staff knows them by name, and never been a nuisance to others, at least much less so than super important men in suits, shouting into their cellphones.
Agree fully that YOUR well behaved children are certainly much more pleasant than the men you describe
On the other hand I disagree that SEN with family should have more support and more rights than others. Just change the rules to three guests then . Not only families "make the world go round" and I see no rationale to grant privileges. If lounge access is important to a family they should buy C tickets for all of them.

The goal is to clean up the SEN lounges and to get rid of the *golds there as SQ does it very well in SIN.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by MichielR

Completely agreed on all counts (except the SEN lounge ). My children travel far less than I do (they still need to go to school every once in a while) but spending half an hour before a flight in a lounge is part of the travel routine for them. They are well behaved, having been flying regularly since they were babies. And they love the Wiener schnitzel in the FCT!

Unlike for example BA, LH group airlines offers lounge access to the family of their most loyal members when traveling as a family, mostly in holidays when there are fewer business travelers anyways. Rewarding loyalty and a nice gesture for those who have to miss their SEN/HON parent frequently.
well, BA has now introduced a "X-mas" special period, where BA gold card holders are allowed to take family into the business (but not first-class) lounges for the holiday period. When it most matters....
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer
well, BA has now introduced a "X-mas" special period, where BA gold card holders are allowed to take family into the business (but not first-class) lounges for the holiday period. When it most matters....
That’s a start. But if I flew C with the family, as BA GCH I’d get nothing extra with my Gold, I couldn’t take the family into GF, not even during the X-mas holidays.

On LH OTOH I can take my family into the F lounges whenever we travel as a family.

There is is a reason I let my BA Gold lapse...

worldclubber, chris63 and Tyrolean like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:34 pm

On the other hand I disagree that SEN with family should have more support and more rights than others. Just change the rules to three guests then . Not only families "make the world go round" and I see no rationale to grant privileges.
I am glad LH sees things you do not seem to be able to see. SENs’ kids are the customers of tomorrow.

Just came back from the slopes and our family lift ticket was cheaper than individual tickets for all family members. Does that bother you, too? Or can they see something you cannot?
chris63 and MichielR like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by MichielR

That’s a start. But if I flew C with the family, as BA GCH I’d get nothing extra with my Gold, I couldn’t take the family into GF, not even during the X-mas holidays.

On LH OTOH I can take my family into the F lounges whenever we travel as a family.

There is is a reason I let my BA Gold lapse...

LH was always quite nice to families. It never was a problem to bring your own children into the own LH (+ Group) Lounges. At some point the enhanced the family access for 3rd party lounges. So no lounge access for the family in non-lh lounges.

We traveled with UA and NH this year. On domestic flights we had no chance to bring the kids in the UA lounge as SEN. Only departing home gave us lounge access. On NH one domestic upgrade gave us lounge access, but both UA and NH lounges were nothing to write home about.

QF is quite similar to LH: You get Family access in all QF-Lounges on QF-Flights. With other partner airlines, (AA or BA) the stick to the "one guest only" rule.

When traveling on other Airlines, I try to fly at least C, so Lounge-Access is not an issue.

It would be quite easy to make families happy. My girls are quite LH and QF minded, since the lounge is always a part of our holiday trips. If I book other Airlines, I have a lot of discussions with my ladies...
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:04 am

SENs’ kids are the customers of tomorrow.
At the end of the day, this is what it's all about. Nostalgia is a powerful marketing tool when one grows older.
worldclubber, chris63 and Tyrolean like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
LH was always quite nice to families. It never was a problem to bring your own children into the own LH (+ Group) Lounges. At some point the enhanced the family access for 3rd party lounges. So no lounge access for the family in non-lh lounges.
I really like it that they give access to families and it’s one of the motivations to make sure SEN status does not expire. The kids love it, too, having a drink and some food while watching planes go by; does not feel like waiting for them and they are very positively connected to LH Group and some other *A airlines.

Although all *A lounges would be great, the “LH lounges only” rule works fairly well for us, since we do most of our long-haul flying in C and really need the access when we go short-haul in Y, usually with plenty of LH Group lounges around.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:13 am

I am glad LH sees things you do not seem to be able to see. SENs’ kids are the customers of tomorrow.
Each business is establishing its marketing techniques and your point is very valid. This said, there is also a tendency to the contrary especially in the Anglo Saxon world where businesses are advertising a child free environment.
Can we agree that lounges should have again "quiet zones" where businessmen shouting in their phone and children would be banned?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:34 am

Each business is establishing its marketing techniques and your point is very valid. This said, there is also a tendency to the contrary especially in the Anglo Saxon world where businesses are advertising a child free environment.
Can we agree that lounges should have again "quiet zones" where businessmen shouting in their phone and children would be banned?
As long as you do not want to take away lounge access from families, as you suggested above, you can have all the quite zones you want. Small cubicles for the few who really require a quiet zone should suffice though. Most areas of the lounge are by definition not quiet anyway (customers interacting with waitstaff in frontcooking sections, noise of plates, glasses and cutlery in the food and beverage section, TVs blasting news in other parts of the lounge, pax chatting with each other and/or the bartender in the bar section...), whether there are kids in the lounge or not; so if you need a really quiet area, you will most likely find it at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.