Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Strike by Verdi Security Staff at various German airports in January 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond

Security service strike on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A strike by security staff at Frankfurt Airport has been announced for Tuesday, January 15. The strike activities are expected to cause major disruptions and flight cancellations throughout the day. In particular, the security checkpoints outside the transit area will remain closed during the strike, from the early morning hours until 8 p.m. Thus, originating passengers departing from Frankfurt will not be able to pass through the legally required security checks and get to their flights. We therefore strongly advise all originating passengers from Frankfurt to avoid coming to the airport. Please contact your airline or travel operator as soon as possible for information on your flight. We expect that transfer processes for connecting passengers in the transit area will still largely be possible. Nevertheless, also transfer passengers should expect disruptions and delays due to the strike. We kindly ask all affected passengers for their understanding.

(Announcement on FRA airport app)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: LH M+M
Please note that this strike will be extended to five other airports: Leipzig (LEJ), Dresden (DRS), Erfurt (ERF), Hannover (HAJ), Bremen (BRE)
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Security service strike on Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A strike by security staff at Frankfurt Airport has been announced for Tuesday, January 15. The strike activities are expected to cause major disruptions and flight cancellations throughout the day. In particular, the security checkpoints outside the transit area will remain closed during the strike, from the early morning hours until 8 p.m. Thus, originating passengers departing from Frankfurt will not be able to pass through the legally required security checks and get to their flights. We therefore strongly advise all originating passengers from Frankfurt to avoid coming to the airport. Please contact your airline or travel operator as soon as possible for information on your flight. We expect that transfer processes for connecting passengers in the transit area will still largely be possible. Nevertheless, also transfer passengers should expect disruptions and delays due to the strike. We kindly ask all affected passengers for their understanding.

(Announcement on FRA airport app)

Wait, do I get this right - they will close ALL landside to airside checkpoints, only leaving transit checkpoints?

That's... well. words fail me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Wait, do I get this right - they will close ALL landside to airside checkpoints, only leaving transit checkpoints?

That's... well. words fail me.
Yes, that's my understanding. According to LH's website:

Strike by Frankfurt airport security staff

Due to a strike by the security staff at the airport, Lufthansa Group flights to and from Frankfurt will be considerably impaired next Tuesday, 15. January. Please inform yourself about the status of your flight.

A special feature, however, applies to passengers who want to start their flight in Frankfurt on Tuesday. According to the airport operator, security checks outside the transit area are not occupied. If you start your journey in Frankfurt, you will not be able to reach your flight during the entire strike period. Lufthansa therefore asks you not to go to the airport and instead, if you have not yet done so, to use rebooking options. In the chapters below you will find options for rebooking.
A special feature? I wonder if the trick to ride the landside Skytrain from B to A works?

There are two options under rebooking:
- Rebooking in case your flight has been cancelled
- Rebooking in case your flight has not been cancelled
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Please note that this strike will be extended to five other airports: Leipzig (LEJ), Dresden (DRS), Erfurt (ERF), Hannover (HAJ), Bremen (BRE)
Make that six: strikes also in HAM
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

A quick glance at LH's Flight Status for departures from FRA on Tuesday suggests at least 50% of shorthaul flights will be cancelled as well as some longhaul flights including flights to SFO, MIA, SAN, ORD, JFK, IAD, EWR, PEK and HKG. It appears no flights to other European hubs will be cancelled allowing transfer passengers from longhaul flights to reach their destination via one of the hubs.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
Really?

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Yes, that's my understanding. According to LH's website:

There are two options under rebooking:
- Rebooking in case your flight has been cancelled
- Rebooking in case your flight has not been cancelled
If you look on the Luftahnsa website this is the way I read it:
The difference is that
- if your flight is cancelled you are entitled to a refund or you can be rebooked in any booking/fare class within the same cabin class.
-if the fligth is not cancelled but you cannot get to it in Frankfurt (due to fact that you cannot physically make it to the plan) the only thing they offer is a free rebooking into the same fare class within maximum 10 day and no change of Airport and no cancellation....

So if I habe a day trip (morning out - evening in Frankfurt) and cannot do it due to the strike, they will not even refund my ticket... and I would not even be allowed to depart from another airport...

This is really mean (yes legally they can get away with it, as is not their problem that you cannot get to the flight... but still)
MSPeconomist and N1003U like this.

Last edited by Key8; Jan 14, 2019 at 5:08 am Reason: Precision
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They sound like very “Five Star” terms to me.

Passenger friendly rules (like not being able to get to a flight due to a security strike) are not Skytrax Five Star criteria.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: Dormicum Gold, DVM lifetime, AWS platinum, EC/MM
Is there any information about TXL this week? What about other airports within Germany? Are arriving flights (within Schengen) in the same way affected as departing flights?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAfromZRH
Is there any information about TXL this week? What about other airports within Germany? Are arriving flights (within Schengen) in the same way affected as departing flights?
Security staff in Berlin (Tegel and Schoenefeld) were on strike last Monday (7January) between 05:00 am and 08:45 am and there has been no news of any further strike as far as I know. I assume arriving flights are not affected as long as they have not been cancelled.
BAfromZRH likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: LH HON
Will the FCT staff be on strike as well?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

A strike by security staff is causing major disruptions at FRA today. Security checkpoints outside the transit area will remain closed until approx. 8pm. Passengers departing with a scheduled flight after 8pm are advised to arrive at least 2h before the scheduled departure. Security checks will gradually reopen after 8pm. Nevertheless, extended wait times should be expected. Pls check flightstatus before traveling to the airport.

Frankfurt Airport twitter feeds
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Is the strike over?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Is the strike over?
This one is, we’re all awaiting the next episode
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
This one is, we’re all awaiting the next episode
Let's rather hope they'll come to their senses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.