Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling on Eurowings (EW)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
A quick question on flight schedule changes. I got an email saying one of two flights were cancelled. They rebooked me on something that was not suitable. They gave me option to cancel so clicked through and got to the page where it said refund request accepted but once approved they will put money back into account. What is the approval process and do they write to you and let you know it is approved. Flight has disappeared from my list of eurowings flights so am a bit worried now whether I will get money back. Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
Having had a surprisingly pleasuring experience on EW recently, i wonder if this is standard service or if it had just been "accidentally" good will of the employee.
I was travelling on german domestic route on restricted fare. After presenting my SEN card upon C/I I asked if I could take the earlier flight of the day. Without hesitation and 2 clicks later the agent issued me a boarding pass for the earlier flight without asking questions or even issuing a rebooking fee.
Is this standard on EW for everyone/SEN only? Or was it just good luck?
alfahund likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by LH600
Having had a surprisingly pleasuring experience on EW recently, i wonder if this is standard service or if it had just been "accidentally" good will of the employee.
I was travelling on german domestic route on restricted fare. After presenting my SEN card upon C/I I asked if I could take the earlier flight of the day. Without hesitation and 2 clicks later the agent issued me a boarding pass for the earlier flight without asking questions or even issuing a rebooking fee.
I did it as an UA-Stargold at DUS for a flight to TXL. It worked perfect and I even could choose between flights of the day.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: LH HON, Marriott Platinum, ...
Originally Posted by LH600
it worked for me before going from Vienna to Stuttgart. Just asking at the gate if they would let me get onto the earlier flight worked without any issues.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Talking Eurowings - never underestimate LH's potential for mediocrity

Since LH moved many of its intra-European flights to EW and has decided to offer zero benefits to Star Alliance Gold members, I've gone out of my way to avoid EW. But recently it was the only decent option, so I started to look at the service offerings and fare types.

It's not hard to find the onboard menu, and the selection and prices aren't unreasonable:
https://www.eurowings.com/content/da...ingsBistro.pdf

Then I had a look at the fare options. "Smart" fares include:

A snack and a non-alcoholic hot or cold drink of your choice
Ein Snack und ein alkoholfreies Heiß- oder Kaltgetränk nach Wahl

Stupid me assumed that I'd get to choose one of the sandwiches for sale and a can of coke / small bottle of water.

And I'm sure it's a coincidence that the wording is ambigious at best and EW didn't choose a precise description such as "a non-alcoholic hot or cold drink of your choice and a snack"

As I found out, the Smart fare actually includes:

- a small, disgusting sandwich (thin slice of bread with some nasty processed cheese), probably with a 2020 expiration date and specifically developed for those suckers who bought a Smart fare; no choice
- a small cup (~150ml) of warm / non-chilled water or soft drink (chilled drinks were only available for purchase)

The FA did look rather embarrassed when I commented on the above.

So hopefully someone can learn from my mistake - never understand LH's potential for mediocrity.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Unfortunately, it has been like that for quite a while.
Old May 1, 2019, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Thanks for the warning, never had the misfortune to fly them & will try hard to keep it that way now
Old May 1, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by chris63
Thanks for the warning, never had the misfortune to fly them & will try hard to keep it that way now
To be fair, the overall experience was better than expected, but that was mainly a result of:

1. paying for a preferred seat with extra legroom
2. the seat next to me remaining empty

The FA also was friendly, the GAs didn't harass me about my hand baggage and the food/drinks for sale were perfectly acceptable.

But with everything costing extra and no status benefits being extended, the overall value for money was rather poor.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
But with everything costing extra and no status benefits being extended, the overall value for money was rather poor.
Well, it is a bit of a different story for LH status holders. Most pf the status benefits are granted by EW, unless you book a BASIC fare:

https://www.eurowings.com/us/your-re...-benefits.html

You just have to make sure you do not mix LH and EW. Recently wanted to guest a friend into a LH lounge, me on a LH flight and he on EW; they would not let me. Had we both been on EW or LH, I would have been able to guest him.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Since LH moved many of its intra-European flights to EW and has decided to offer zero benefits to Star Alliance Gold members, I've gone out of my way to avoid EW. But recently it was the only decent option, so I started to look at the service offerings and fare types.

It's not hard to find the onboard menu, and the selection and prices aren't unreasonable:
https://www.eurowings.com/content/da...ingsBistro.pdf

Then I had a look at the fare options. "Smart" fares include:

A snack and a non-alcoholic hot or cold drink of your choice
Ein Snack und ein alkoholfreies Heiß- oder Kaltgetränk nach Wahl

Stupid me assumed that I'd get to choose one of the sandwiches for sale and a can of coke / small bottle of water.

And I'm sure it's a coincidence that the wording is ambigious at best and EW didn't choose a precise description such as "a non-alcoholic hot or cold drink of your choice and a snack"

As I found out, the Smart fare actually includes:

- a small, disgusting sandwich (thin slice of bread with some nasty processed cheese), probably with a 2020 expiration date and specifically developed for those suckers who bought a Smart fare; no choice
- a small cup (~150ml) of warm / non-chilled water or soft drink (chilled drinks were only available for purchase)

The FA did look rather embarrassed when I commented on the above.

So hopefully someone can learn from my mistake - never understand LH's potential for mediocrity.
I really do agree with all of this of course. But I must saw EW are offering some pretty good fares to parts of the UK I need to visit this Summer. Fares on Flybe by comparison are ridiculous (for example, DUS-LBA round trip being €240 - obviously this is not such a bad price in itself despite the nonexistent service on BE, compared to what fares were like in the not so distant past, but EW is offering €60 round trip on DUS-MAN). However, I will never like the service concept of EW. They should just offer that rubbish SMART catering to everyone as a complement to their BoB offer. It can't cost more than 50 Euro cents.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'm looking at an EW flight from JFK via DUS to ZRH. The fare is absurdly low - $300 in a SMART fare class. Its nearly 1/4 that of American or BA. Flight is on an A-340 (which is alluring as I've not ever done a -340 flight and would like to before they become exceedingly rare). Seat pitch seems adequate and the flight times are decent. Obviously as an AA elite, I'll be losing those privileges by not flying on a 1W carrier, but is there something I really need to be mindful of in booking a flight on this carrier?
Old May 16, 2019, 4:05 pm

Hi EW experts...
I have an upcoming flight on EW BCN-DUS connecting onto NH in C...I will have check in luggage, which I am entitled to on NH C, but what about when I check in with EW for the first segment? My ticket says Economy H class for the EW segment.
All the other segments on this ticket are in Business, just that one flight at the very beginning on EW.

I anticipate a discussion with the check-in staff who will want to make me pay for checking in luggage and me trying to convince them that I shouldn't have to...
Should I call LH (reservation was ticketed with LH over the phone with 220 ticket stock) and ask them to put a note in the booking to allow baggage?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2019, 3:57 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Hi EW experts...
I have an upcoming flight on EW BCN-DUS connecting onto NH in C...I will have check in luggage, which I am entitled to on NH C, but what about when I check in with EW for the first segment? My ticket says Economy H class for the EW segment.
All the other segments on this ticket are in Business, just that one flight at the very beginning on EW.

I anticipate a discussion with the check-in staff who will want to make me pay for checking in luggage and me trying to convince them that I shouldn't have to...
Should I call LH (reservation was ticketed with LH over the phone with 220 ticket stock) and ask them to put a note in the booking to allow baggage?

Thanks!
If you check your passenger receipt regarding baggage allowance, what do you see? 2PC, 40K or anything else?
Old May 17, 2019, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cas_de
If you check your passenger receipt regarding baggage allowance, what do you see? 2PC, 40K or anything else?
oops, how come I didn't think of that! thanks for the tip.
I looked, it says 2PC for all segments...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Since we're on the topic and couldn't find a more relevant thread, how does it work when I buy a ticket from LH but is operated by EW? It's transatlantic LH coded flight, oddly with the hold luggage and meal included but operated by EW. Seat selection is not possible. Will I have to pay for entertainment? Seat selection would only be open at OLCI?

I will have a Turkish Miles&Smiles Gold account. Does it make sense to link it to my booking? Not sure if there will be any status benefits in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.