Traveling on Eurowings (EW)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Traveling on Eurowings (EW)

Hi guys,

just to confirm if I got this right.

I am a TK *G, M&M FTL and I am looking at travelling DUS-MUC-KSC-DUS.

What I expect:
1. If I buy a "BASIC" fare, I will have no lounge access whatsoever (or onboard service)
2. If I buy a "SMART" fare, I will have some onboard service (snack and non-alcoholic drink), bag, seating, plus
a. I will NOT have access to any SEN lounge on account of my TK *G
b. I will have access to FTL lounges in DUS and MUC on account of my M&M FTL
c. I will not have access to a lounge in KSC unless I buy it, use Priority Pass or other airline-independent method.
3. If I buy a "BIZclass" fare, then it's more or less like any other LH Group C class, except that I only get FTL benefits, not SEN/*G benefits

Would that be right?

Incidentally, I discovered that EW refuses to price out (annoyingly enough) DUS-KSC via MUC. Forces direct. LH.com does not have a problem with this, but only allows SMART and some kinda Flex.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

1. If I buy a "BASIC" fare, I will have no lounge access whatsoever (or onboard service)
Yes - nothing, nada ... unless you have a UA*G Status, then you'd get access to any LH Lounge (but no sn/lx/os/contract lounge)
2. If I buy a "SMART" fare, I will have some onboard service (snack and non-alcoholic drink), bag, seating, plus
A SMART Fare will give you the service, one 23kg bag (NO elite benefits for extra bags), a standard seats (you can upgrade to a more legroom seat for a small fee, this is recommended)
a. I will NO:T have access to any SEN lounge on account of my TK *G
Correct. TK*G is nothing in the Eurowings Group. Please don't even bother to show your TK-Card. Eurowings does partner with a few mileage programs though: UA, NH, SQ, AC
b. I will have access to FTL lounges in DUS and MUC on account of my M&M FTL
Yes, if you are booked into a SMART, BEST or BIZ Fare
c. I will not have access to a lounge in KSC unless I buy it, use Priority Pass or other airline-independent method.
Since there is no Eurowings Lounge (or a lounge with a Eurowings contract) the only option left for KSC is Priority Pass
3. If I buy a "BIZclass" fare, then it's more or less like any other LH Group C class, except that I only get FTL benefits, not SEN/*G benefits
Pretty much yes: 2x32kg, Lounge, seats with a blocked middle seat, free food. Miles with Miles and More, UA, NH, SQ, AC. Additional Lounge (LH SEN Lounge) benefits with LH, UA and NH Gold Cards.
Incidentally, I discovered that EW refuses to price out (annoyingly enough) DUS-KSC via MUC. Forces direct. LH.com does not have a problem with this, but only allows SMART and some kinda Flex.
DUS-MUC-KSC should price out.
If you book via LH, you get a GDS Fare.
Those GDS Fares have slightly different rules:
- No Basic GDS Fares, only SMART GDS, SMART Flex GDS, BEST GDS, BESTflex GDS, BIZ GDS and BIZflex GDS
- GDS Smart Fares include a free seat reservation for extra legroom seats.
Usually GDS fares are a lot more expensive. Cheapest SMART Fare via EW.com is 46usd. Thats quite good IMHO.
There is another GDS Special regarding bags: if you book the flight under a codeshare (eg. LH1234 TXL-DUS), then the LH Bag rules apply! Unfortunately there are no codeshares on the MUC-KSC or DUS-KSC routes (and GDS Fares are more expensive anyway..)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: LH M+M
Benefits as FTL (and Loungefinder) https://www.eurowings.com/en/your-re...-benefits.html
From what I see/know, EW doesnt have benefits for *G.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver

IMHO EW does not sell connecting flights on its own website while LH.com offers connections even if they are between EW and EW. In addition I think on LH.com you only can buy SMART and FLEX but not BASIC. Has something to do with the fares EW publishes outside its own booking system. EW forces you to book on their own website to get he cheapest fares. Typical low cost carrier behavior and not limited to EW.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Note that if you buy your ticket via LH.com you will have a real IATA ticket plated on 220 stock that is worth its virtual weight in gold should some irreg occur (which happens quite a bit on EW) and LH can move you to any IATA carrier. If you book a ticket with EW.com then you get a EW reservation which is ticketless. This marvel of modern technology is useless for you as a customer as EW can only rebook you if they feel like it and they have to generate a ticket for use on other airlines. Enjoy. ^
cas_de and PAX_fips like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
IMHO EW does not sell connecting flights on its own website while LH.com offers connections even if they are between EW and EW. In addition I think on LH.com you only can buy SMART and FLEX but not BASIC. Has something to do with the fares EW publishes outside its own booking system. EW forces you to book on their own website to get he cheapest fares. Typical low cost carrier behavior and not limited to EW.
It does offer the other way round no issue (MUC-KSC via DUS), but that's not much help to me, as I can get to DUS well enough (by car or train), but MUC is too far. A need has shown to pop over to Kosice (or rather, date was confirmed) and I'd thought I'd try them out then before they end flying to KSC (still no sales for S19 so I guess they won't continue for some reason)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that if you buy your ticket via LH.com you will have a real IATA ticket plated on 220 stock that is worth its virtual weight in gold should some irreg occur (which happens quite a bit on EW) and LH can move you to any IATA carrier. If you book a ticket with EW.com then you get a EW reservation which is ticketless. This marvel of modern technology is useless for you as a customer as EW can only rebook you if they feel like it and they have to generate a ticket for use on other airlines. Enjoy. ^
That is a point to consider. I've been thinking of buying separate tickets per leg on EW website. Of course that would not do much for protection as is.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:55 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
That is a point to consider. I've been thinking of buying separate tickets per leg on EW website. Of course that would not do much for protection as is.
I don't know when you will travel, but given the current weather situation some safety net in form of a 220 ticket does definitely not hurt.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by flyingfkb
IMHO EW does not sell connecting flights on its own website
They do. I’ve flown WRO-DUS-HAM and WRO-DUS-TXL RT multiple times, booked on the website of EW (and once even 4U, when it was still a thing). Maybe not all connecions are in offer, but some certainly are.

Last edited by marcoos; Jan 11, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have also booked DUS-HAM-GVA and vv for a very good price and gained a number of extra segments. The pricing on DUS-GVA nonstop is much worse than when LH operated the route.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cas_de
I don't know when you will travel, but given the current weather situation some safety net in form of a 220 ticket does definitely not hurt.
Mid March. I could also play it safe buy buying an extra DUS-KSC direct ticket if cheap enough. I'll have to think about it.
At the end of the day, it's a question of is it worth the bother - should they happen to announce the continuation of KSC service into S19 then the answer is definitely no, especially seeing as OS is now back in the game for AMS-KSC, routinely offering fares comparable to LO and OK, when before they used to be always at least 50% higher for advance purchase.

Originally Posted by marcoos
They do. I’ve flown WRO-DUS-HAM and WRO-DUS-TXL RT multiple times, booked on the website of EW (and once even 4U, when it was still a thing). Maybe not all connecions are in offer, but some certainly are.
And it's not like EW web doesn't recognize the option, it actually shows it in the search results. Only it says it's unavailable.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

One more question:

FTL on Smart fare bought through LH:

how about golf bags? Can I take one as the one bag I have, or within 1+1 (if I get an elite bag)?
The website only mentions free skis as far as I see.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
One more question:

FTL on Smart fare bought through LH:

how about golf bags? Can I take one as the one bag I have, or within 1+1 (if I get an elite bag)?
The website only mentions free skis as far as I see.
What is the flight number?
If booked as a EW flight number, then no free golf bag. You'll have to pay at check in. SKI Bag is free though (on any route!).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 330
What is the flight number?
If booked as a EW flight number, then no free golf bag. You'll have to pay at check in. SKI Bag is free though (on any route!).
All EW. Shame about that.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think you would miss Eurowings like you miss a sore head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.