Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansas understanding of Customer Service in F

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by chris63

You should have, LH F is dining on demand on that route at whatever hour, Purser ought to have pointed that out to you & suggested you place an order to ensure you received your prefererence from the Menu.
TBF, only maybe 2 times out of 10 have I been told it’s Dining on Demand. But I’ve always found that if I communicated what I wanted early on, I always got what I wanted. FAs can’t read minds, not even the F ones.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Not in ours

I even like LH F better than TG F.
we seem to live in the same world
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:18 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
LH F cabin staff can vary tremendously. On the top deck of an A 380 in F, as the first to board, I attempted to put my carry-on into the closet nearest me (I was seated in 1D). I was immediately scolded by an FA who told me that my closet was at the rear of the cabin, two rows behind me. This closet belongs to 1A, she said. I informed her that the passenger seated in 1A was my wife (who had not yet boarded) and that both our carry-ons would fit comfortably in the closet, but she was not to be deterred. I was marched back to "my" closet, out of sight of my seat (with the result I had feared when I discovered later that someone had gone into the closet and interfered with my bag, unseen by me — LH really needs to do something about the cabin layout from a security point of view).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
You should have, LH F is dining on demand on that route at whatever hour, Purser ought to have pointed that out to you & suggested you place an order to ensure you received your prefererence from the Menu.
Exactly!

Fliers with more experience in LH F would have probably placed an order, to set the desired main course aside for later. The purser should have made him aware of the possibility.

A lot of things went wrong here, reminds me of the Swiss Cheese Model:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_model
If all of the holes align, serious sh%& happens.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB G; EY S
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will hand in a complaint to LH and will report back on what their answer is.

To be fair, I am sure that the experience in LH F can be a completely different one if you get the right crew. The First Class Terminal in Frankfurt was absolutely gorgeous and I really enjoyed my stay there, my Personal Assistant was very friendly and was even able to get a change to my ticket done, which seemed to be impossible given the responses when I asked the issue here on FlyerTalk.
Compared to onboard the treatment in the FCT was great!
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by wfiring12
The OP appears to have been very unlucky, nonetheless the experience is inexcusable and should be dealt with as many of the posters indicated. That said, I am one of those flyers who rank a crew's service and interaction with me in First to be often more important than the hard product. And, for that reason alone - I always seek out LH/LX First over any any of the ME3 or remaining European carriers offering First. I just completed 4 long-haul F segments with LH (A380) and LX (330 & 777) this past month. All four offered consistently top-notch experiences and the destinations varied as much as LAX and DAR.

Yes, my F experiences on EK/EY have had lots of bling and responsive service - I've often found the overall experience to be robotic, impersonal and flat. To some degree, this is a result of cultural differences. I don't have as much experience in F to Asia, but I was rather unimpressed with OZ out of LAX on the 380. SQ F may be a different story, but I've never been understood the hype about their J experience. To be clear, I'm not requiring an overly chatty FA as once can get here in America, instead just a genuinely warm, engaging and professional interaction.

I suppose we all view F products with different tastes. As it should be. For me, the complete experience is most important to me - and for my travels from California to Africa - I continue to rate LH via MUC or LX via ZRH at the very top.
I noticed you didn't mention CX. If you want a great experience, I found the FAs on CX first best. The right amount of chatty, personalized service without being overbearing.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by 1P
LH F cabin staff can vary tremendously. On the top deck of an A 380 in F, as the first to board, I attempted to put my carry-on into the closet nearest me (I was seated in 1D). I was immediately scolded by an FA who told me that my closet was at the rear of the cabin, two rows behind me. This closet belongs to 1A, she said. I informed her that the passenger seated in 1A was my wife (who had not yet boarded) and that both our carry-ons would fit comfortably in the closet, but she was not to be deterred. I was marched back to "my" closet, out of sight of my seat (with the result I had feared when I discovered later that someone had gone into the closet and interfered with my bag, unseen by me — LH really needs to do something about the cabin layout from a security point of view).
The closets always had combination locks. Why didn't you use it?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by PatongPilot
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will hand in a complaint to LH and will report back on what their answer is.

To be fair, I am sure that the experience in LH F can be a completely different one if you get the right crew. The First Class Terminal in Frankfurt was absolutely gorgeous and I really enjoyed my stay there, my Personal Assistant was very friendly and was even able to get a change to my ticket done, which seemed to be impossible given the responses when I asked the issue here on FlyerTalk.
Compared to onboard the treatment in the FCT was great!
Sounds like a good assessment of the situation.

I have had god and bad crews including LH and LX, but only about 1 bad in 10-20 good on these two airlines. But the good and very good crews on LH are usually better, from my perspective, than the good crews on some of the other "premium" carriers, especially the ME3, where service is often more standardized and robotic.

To be fair, status and being able to talk to them in German could help, too.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:36 am

How many passangers were in First?

Last edited by Erohnson; Jan 5, 2019 at 11:14 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black

in theory yes - the problem is once every passenger finished the meal service they distribute the food amongst the flight crew. I can tell you there is more than one time I have seen they are very keen on eating the left overs of F class food (and not only the FCL flight attendants).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black

I have had god and bad crews including LH and LX, but only about 1 bad in 10-20 good on these two airlines. But the good and very good crews on LH are usually better, from my perspective, than the good crews on some of the other "premium" carriers, especially the ME3, where service is often more standardized and robotic.

I agree German and status helps - but it shouldn’t! There is not a better customer while speaking German. Second there is no proper review process and assessment of the crew members due to the German unions. I had several LH purser telling me that their influence on the performance on some of their members is limited as they will threaten with calling the unions.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by HKG1111
I agree German and status helps - but it shouldn’t! There is not a better customer while speaking German.
Of course not. But then again, it usually helps to speak a little bit of X on an airline from a country where X is spoken. Probably human.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB G; EY S

I am german, therefore my german is quite spotless

Originally Posted by Erohnson
How many passangers were you in First?
6 pax
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:35 am

Of course not. But then again, it usually helps to speak a little bit of X on an airline from a country where X is spoken. Probably human.
sorry I disagree. Unless you only fly one or two carriers. I travel on Chinese, Russian, French, Spanish, etc. speaking carierrers. I don’t think you need a language level to buy an airplane ticket.
Gino Troian and PatongPilot like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by HKG1111

in theory yes - the problem is once every passenger finished the meal service they distribute the food amongst the flight crew. I can tell you there is more than one time I have seen they are very keen on eating the left overs of F class food (and not only the FCL flight attendants).
Yes & it happens BUT it’s not supposed to, the Purser is tasked to welcome every F pax & to point out the service onboard, particularly important for a first time F pax on LH, She failed .... simples .... & the OP needs to point out that in the complaint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.