Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC heavy snowfall Jan 4-6, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
Also arrived MUC evening of Wednesday 9th, by train from VIE, and agree that they were coping well with the snow.
LH 2294 flight back to BRU on Friday 11th was originally shown as departing on time at 21:15, but I noticed some cancellations on the board, mainly domestic, and it continued to snow.
Around 20:00 departure showed as 21:50 due late arrival of aircraft from GOT. After boarding at around 22:00, the airport then closed the runway for snow clearance so pushback was delayed 30 minutes. Then there was a queue for de-icing, so we finally arrived just over two hours late.
But I was glad to get home, even with a delay - there is no way BRU could have coped with even a fraction of that amount of snow.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA executive club Gold, United milage plus Gold
I was looking at Flightradar24 and I noticed that flight LH413 (EWR-MUC) of Jan 10 actually turned around and went back to EWR after flying for an hour. Was this due to weather in MUC?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
More snow on Feb 3

MUC gets a considerable load of snow today, which result in many delays and cancellations. Be prepared when you travel from/via MUC today. (Feb 3)

Safe travels!
chris63 and vantage03 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by worldclubber
MUC gets a considerable load of snow today, which result in many delays and cancellations. Be prepared when you travel from/via MUC today. (Feb 3)

Safe travels!
Thanks for the update, seems MUC struggled through, LH730 to HKG didn’t get away until 01.17 but that wouldn’t have been possible at FRA with their curfew.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber

Safe travels!
Yes, noticed that! I had a flight to DEL at noon, but after a delayed boarding of 30 minutes, we stayed in the plane at the gate for approx. 4 hours. Afterwards we went through an extensive de-icing, took almost 45 minutes. Total delay of almost 5h30... But as it's due to the weather, probably no compensation possible?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cyrano_ak
Total delay of almost 5h30... But as it's due to the weather, probably no compensation possible?
Certainly no compensation, LH is not responsible for the weather or airport operations
Cyrano_ak likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
250 of 1000 movements cancelled yesterday. Colleagues sitting in a EK A380 to DXB reported sitting 3-4 hours on the tarmac before getting deiced.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
250 of 1000 movements cancelled yesterday. Colleagues sitting in a EK A380 to DXB reported sitting 3-4 hours on the tarmac before getting deiced.
Wow, that’s a lot of cancellations & there were lengthy delays, LH458 to SFO left 4 hrs late.

Presumably some knock on effects with aircraft roatations....
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by chris63
Wow, that’s a lot of cancellations & there were lengthy delays, LH458 to SFO left 4 hrs late.

Exactly, still quite a few (short-haul) cancellations today!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN
I was part of the unlucky 750 group (LH1704), it was kind of interesting experience, we boarded from an apron position, after something like 10-15 minutes a sandwiches and beverages were distributed, and shortly after that the flight was cancelled.

Fortunately I was part of the lucky 250 group as well (rebooked on LH1706), we boarded on time on a fully booked economy class with no op-ups to business. The captain announced we are number 31 for de-icing and made a pretty accurate 3 hour delay prediction, providing hourly updates. When we finally pushed back ~22:45 I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and then was feeling really happy when we finally took off
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koriobg
I was part of the unlucky 750 group (LH1704), it was kind of interesting experience, we boarded from an apron position, after something like 10-15 minutes a sandwiches and beverages were distributed, and shortly after that the flight was cancelled.

Fortunately I was part of the lucky 250 group as well (rebooked on LH1706), we boarded on time on a fully booked economy class with no op-ups to business. The captain announced we are number 31 for de-icing and made a pretty accurate 3 hour delay prediction, providing hourly updates. When we finally pushed back ~22:45 I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and then was feeling really happy when we finally took off
Glad you finally made it out ^ And with an additional LH sandwich
koriobg likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond AMB, M&M SEN

Glad you finally made it out ^ And with an additional LH sandwich
Thanks, well I skipped the sandwich as was taking the long route from Düsseldorf via Frankfurt and was pretty fed up and bet that the lounge will provide a better option 2-3 hours later
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koriobg
Thanks, well I skipped the sandwich as was taking the long route from Düsseldorf via Frankfurt and was pretty fed up and bet that the lounge will provide a better option 2-3 hours later
Sounds sensible & glad your happy with the Lounge offering ^
koriobg likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
MUC always asks airlines to cancel flights to take the pressure out of operations, with the majority of flights in LH's court it is hardest hit. Plus foreign carriers don't care nor listen to MUC, so LH takes a greater hit.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MUC always asks airlines to cancel flights to take the pressure out of operations, with the majority of flights in LH's court it is hardest hit. Plus foreign carriers don't care nor listen to MUC, so LH takes a greater hit.
Yes, understood, however it’s quite impressive how MUC handles extreme weather & it helps that there is no curfew al la FRA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.