Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MUC heavy snowfall Jan 4-6, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:14 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
According to the DWD App we got an additional 13 cm of snow since yesterday evening. Official snow height is 22 cm. When I did shovel the sidewalk and driveway at 7 a.m. this morning it felt like more than 13 cm of snow, so it looks like it won't be a smooth day for flying / travelling in general. Good luck to all those of you out there on the road and in the air today!

Last edited by cas_de; Jan 10, 2019 at 1:23 am
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by malmostoso
CRJ Indeed

Coming from a warm holiday so I wasn't properly dressed. At least I wasn't in shorts and sandals as another passenger coming from new Zealand!
Hope they did not keep you out in the cold for too long.

Unfortunately, MUC's jet bridges are not designed to handle regional jets.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
So, the CRJ that was supposed to take me to MUC isn’t coming anywhere near GVA & I have been rebooked from LH F on the A380 to LX on the A333 (that is a first world downgrade for someone who likes caviar but not salmon ).

If LH had cancelled 30 min earlier I would have had better alternatives, arriving earlier not later... oh well at least I have been rebooked and will get to my destination.
Glad you will make it to your destination.

And at least you did not board and then your CRJ collapsed.

https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/panoram...story/13105765

(sorry, article in German only: CRJ got damaged by tow truck at BSL)
iLied likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Hope they did not keep you out in the cold for too long.

Unfortunately, MUC's jet bridges are not designed to handle regional jets.
I’m not sure they can handle all B738 aircraft either!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iLied
I’m not sure they can handle all B738 aircraft either!
737s and 319/20/21s are no problem, just the smaller jets.

Some airlines operating 737s are just too cheap to pay for the finger gates, as apron positions are considerably cheaper, like it that the turnaround is faster.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
737s and 319/20/21s are no problem, just the smaller jets.

Some airlines operating 737s are just too cheap to pay for the finger gates, as apron positions are considerably cheaper, like it that the turnaround is faster.
Fair enough. I also get the feeling that it may depend on time of day as well as I’ve seen a flight today that’s using a jet bridge but has been at a remote gate recently with the same aircraft type but a different time of day. Same airline as well.

Although T2 could do with some regional gates, just like at say CPH. Ie a set of gates which are at ground level and the plane literally turns around on the spot.

Checking departure boards today, it seems like the cancellations are minimal, although some domestic flights are cancelled due to a strike of security officers.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Gate capacity in T2 & T2S is already full with the mainline and widebody arrivals, so only select Embraers which have connecting pax sometimes are allowed to dock.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Gate capacity in T2 & T2S is already full with the mainline and widebody arrivals, so only select Embraers which have connecting pax sometimes are allowed to dock.
This would have to be a new satellite terminal. I noticed CPH has these sort of gates for small aircraft last time I was there, although these were clearly Schengen gates.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No, E190/195/175 also dock at the main MUC T2 building using the same facilities. Its just the CRJ that are absolutely incompatible.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:22 pm

I
Originally Posted by oliver2002
No, E190/195/175 also dock at the main MUC T2 building using the same facilities. Its just the CRJ that are absolutely incompatible.
Dash 8’s can’t either and there are a few of those at MUC too. What I mean is a separate but connected satellite building that can handle aircraft not capable of using a jet bridge with parking spaces where the plane parks facing out with the aircraft door in line with the gate door so that it’s a quick dash inside. Quite a few airports have th3se kind of facilities nowadays for regional aircraft, including some big hubs. I imagine it could save airlines even more money as they wouldn’t need the bus for example.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
LH1694 canceled 9/1 for me, rebooked on LH1688 on 10/1, that canceled little while ago and now rebooked on OS112 & OS705

My LH459 was also late yesterday, just when I got off of the plane to run for the connection, go the cancelation message.
Final update - OS112 was delayed over 1 hr on departure from MUC causing misconnect. Rebooked onto OS707 and finally arrived in PRG at 13:50. (About 30 mins after LH1690, first flight from MUC since yesterday. Oh well )

When were taxiing around remote stands, it seemed the were not using CRJ at all during this weather.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz
Final update - OS112 was delayed over 1 hr on departure from MUC causing misconnect. Rebooked onto OS707 and finally arrived in PRG at 13:50. (About 30 mins after LH1690, first flight from MUC since yesterday. Oh well )

When were taxiing around remote stands, it seemed the were not using CRJ at all during this weather.
Quite a few LH CRJ flights are cancelled today.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Got to MUC after 20h00 and I saw that DUS, CGN and LEJ were cancelled. There was quite a lot of snow today. I took the DB IC Bus from Zurich to Munich Hackerbrück today, and it was quite a tough drive due to the snow. We ran 2 hours late and there were delays to the airport S-Bahn too. Managed to get the time to take the lift to the top of the Rathaus and view Munich with the snow by night, worth doing. Also had time to enjoy the peace of the Frauenkirche.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
Got to MUC after 20h00 and I saw that DUS, CGN and LEJ were cancelled. There was quite a lot of snow today. I took the DB IC Bus from Zurich to Munich Hackerbrück today, and it was quite a tough drive due to the snow. We ran 2 hours late and there were delays to the airport S-Bahn too. Managed to get the time to take the lift to the top of the Rathaus and view Munich with the snow by night, worth doing. Also had time to enjoy the peace of the Frauenkirche.
Glad you made it.

The cancellations, however, were less weather and more strike-related.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Right, fair enough. Then the Müncheners coped pretty well with the snow, because everything was running more or less on time. A few S-Bahn cancellations, a few minutes delay here and there. The DB bus back to Zurich ran like clockwork.
worldclubber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.