Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:52 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
A0049/19 notamn
q) edmm/qfalt/iv/nbo/a /000/999/4821n01147e005
a) eddm b) 1901041151 c) 1901062300
e) due to heavy continuous snowfall predicted until sunday jan 06 and
expected disruptions and delays in flight operations,
all aircraft operators are requested to consider to cancel flights.
Snow removal activities and aircraft deicing operations
are in progress.

Swed0005 eddm 01041236
(snowtam 0005
a) eddm
b) 01041236 c) 08l f) 2/2/2 h) 5/5/5
b) 01041233 c) 08r f) 2/2/2 h) 5/5/5
t) snow removal/deicing activities in progress, expect further
alternating rwy closures. Rwy 08l and 08r anti-iced with kfor/nafo.)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by cas_de
alternating rwy closures.
Can be seen on Flightradar24 how the group of snow removal equipment commutes between runways. Snow removal takes time and thus capacity, hence the cancellations.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Looking at the departure board for today, there appears to only be a few cancellations this morning (only checked that far so far) but delays to all other flights. Will ATC be proactively holding aircraft at their departure airport for flights heading to MUC?

What rights do we have as a customer at the moment if our fight isn’t cancelled?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
FWIW my partner just landed from EWR to ZRH and her flight to LHR was cancelled. Was automatically rebooked to LHR via GVA.

Seems like the snow is spreading!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iLied
Looking at the departure board for today, there appears to only be a few cancellations this morning (only checked that far so far) but delays to all other flights. Will ATC be proactively holding aircraft at their departure airport for flights heading to MUC?

What rights do we have as a customer at the moment if our fight isn’t cancelled?
LH cancelled a certain percentage of flights per hour to have time for snow removal on the runways. All airlines were asked to do this and very few did, hence the delays.

Rights: food, drink, maybe accommodation, and the next possible flight to your destination. No compensation, as weather is considered out of the airline’s control.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sophialite
FWIW my partner just landed from EWR to ZRH and her flight to LHR was cancelled. Was automatically rebooked to LHR via GVA.

Seems like the snow is spreading!
Anywhere near the Alps is bad right now and the two busiest airports close by, MUC and ZRH, struggle most.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:32 am

Great handling of my disruption (Sarajevo) from Lufthansa as I was fearing the worst (just one daily service from Munich, no evening flight from Vienna today) — I got promptly rerouted through Zagreb instead, a bit of wait at the airport but, again, no hiccups whatsoever from good-old Lufty.

G
hugolover, N1003U and worldclubber like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Great handling of my disruption (Sarajevo) from Lufthansa as I was fearing the worst (just one daily service from Munich, no evening flight from Vienna today) — I got promptly rerouted through Zagreb instead, a bit of wait at the airport but, again, no hiccups whatsoever from good-old Lufty.

G
Happy for you, sounds good. ^

That's part of the reason I still like to fly with them, despite some of the recent enhancements.
chris63 and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber

LH cancelled a certain percentage of flights per hour to have time for snow removal on the runways. All airlines were asked to do this and very few did, hence the delays.

Rights: food, drink, maybe accommodation, and the next possible flight to your destination. No compensation, as weather is considered out of the airline’s control.
Aren’t LH by far the biggest operator at MUC? FR love annoying passengers, especially with snow, so surprised they haven’t cancelled any flights. Aren’t long haul flights always protected whenever these situations occur?

A year ago, I was waiting for a flight to WAW when suddenly there was a snow shower, meaning we left an hour/hour and a half late but flights that left after us got de-iced and clearance before us so there’s not always a logic to it, it seems when it comes to this kind of thing.

if you’re connecting through MUC, is there the right to request a rebooking going via an unaffected airport?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iLied

Aren’t LH by far the biggest operator at MUC? FR love annoying passengers, especially with snow, so surprised they haven’t cancelled any flights. Aren’t long haul flights always protected whenever these situations occur?

A year ago, I was waiting for a flight to WAW when suddenly there was a snow shower, meaning we left an hour/hour and a half late but flights that left after us got de-iced and clearance before us so there’s not always a logic to it, it seems when it comes to this kind of thing.

if you’re connecting through MUC, is there the right to request a rebooking going via an unaffected airport?
I will try to answer some of your questions:

Long-haul of the same airline generally gets cancelled after short-haul. FR does not have long-haul and they won't cancel any flights for the benefit of the operation of the airport.

You may not see the logic behind the de-icing order, but there usually is. May be type of plane, fairness to all operators, ATC plans for one aircraft or the other etc.

Today, there is a waiver based on expected snowfall, i.e. LH agents can reroute you through another airport without any fees. But there needs to be a waiver in place (can also be due to thunderstorms in summer etc. -- I could be rerouted on a very cheap economy ticket LHR-FRA-MUC to LHR-MUC last summer, because they expected bad weather for FRA) to reroute pax on restricted tickets.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:34 am

Happy for you, sounds good. ^

That's part of the reason I still like to fly with them, despite some of the recent enhancements.
Thank you, worldclubber — and I concur entirely with the above statement ^

G
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:58 am

I will try to answer some of your questions:

Long-haul of the same airline generally gets cancelled after short-haul. FR does not have long-haul and they won't cancel any flights for the benefit of the operation of the airport.

You may not see the logic behind the de-icing order, but there usually is. May be type of plane, fairness to all operators, ATC plans for one aircraft or the other etc.

Today, there is a waiver based on expected snowfall, i.e. LH agents can reroute you through another airport without any fees. But there needs to be a waiver in place (can also be due to thunderstorms in summer etc. -- I could be rerouted on a very cheap economy ticket LHR-FRA-MUC to LHR-MUC last summer, because they expected bad weather for FRA) to reroute pax on restricted tickets.
Thanks! Apologies for the questions!

This is true, long haul tends to be the last routes operated by the carrier to get cancelled. FR cancelling flights would be too easy and nice unless it benefits them more than it benefits the airport. I’m assuming airlines will try to ensure aircraft and crew aren’t in the wrong place as a result of the disruption.

There’s method in the madness as the saying goes! I’m sure there’s some logic to the order, will aircraft that landed after the event need less de-icing than one on the ground during the event?

Fair enough, I’ve got a connecting flight through MUC next weekend so will keep an eye on the forecast and contact the airline if there’s more forecast.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:59 am

Deleted due to copy.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Very happy with LH HON proactive response, they are expecting issues with aircraft rotations & Rain / Sleet / Snow tomorrow @ MUC so they rebooked me via FRA 👍
worldclubber and vantage03 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
Very happy with LH HON proactive response, they are expecting issues with aircraft rotations & Rain / Sleet / Snow tomorrow @ MUC so they rebooked me via FRA 👍
Good to hear it worked out! ^
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.