Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Yes taking picture is a good idea, that would document your case should you need it. Taking note of the times (enter security at ..., leave security at ...) while it happens is also a good idea.
This will give you documented facts.
Be careful! In many countries it is not legal to take photographs of sensitive areas, such as security checkpoints.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:53 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Taking a picture of the queue is OK.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Either way it would be an exceptional circumstance outside the control of the airline, wouldn't it?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's for compo. It doesn't preclude rebooking, hotels, food and comms.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ddartt
On a recent connection in FRA, I was really short on time (inbound flight was late) and yet it took long time to go through security even in so-called "fast lane". 10 mins before the departure I was still clearing security where they also decided it'd be a good idea to pull my bag aside and check my laptop too. I still made it on the flight, even though I arrived at the gate exactly at the departure time, they were holding the plane back for a bunch of pax that were also late from their connection from BOS.

Now the question I have. Considering a missed connection might well cause delay to final destination that triggers EC261, how exactly is it determined whose fault the misconnect is? In obvious where the inbound flight is clearly very late, thats clear. But what about my case or indeed the case described here - if the first flight arrives 30 mins before departure of the second flight? What if its parked really far away? How quick are you expected to run through the terminal? And should we be taking any photos/evidence (e.g. of a long security line or passport control line) to proove that misconnect is not our fault?
They will probably just try and use whatever excuse they can find that gets them out of paying compensation. I had this recently with a 30 min delay (due to a delay de-icing on the first flight of the day, but LH blames it on "weather"). Had the aircraft not been parked at a far away bus gate, and the connecting aircraft a long long walk through the terminal (didn't have the clear security), I would have made the flight. But they refuse to pay anything claiming weather related disruption.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by sw1x
My experience in MUC is by far worse. I have encountered several situations at security there that would make Soviet officials proud.
I don’t think I have ever had to wait more than 10 minutes in MUC. Anyway, the statistical evidence of FRA vs. Rest of German airports still stands
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:41 am

I've transited FRA three times in the last 4 weeks, and had no issues. During the morning peak (longhaul flights arriving and then departing) it can be a bit of a zoo. I only had to pass security once, but seemed normal (5 minutes waiting time). Passport control was fast each time (e-gates with only a one/two people in front of me).

I did notice security seemed slow and more thorough at Nurnberg. Perhaps the security level has been increased recently:
https://de.usembassy.gov/security-me...ravel-alert-2/

Regarding the EU261 compensation discussions - in my opinion the ECJ made the position clear: Duty of care applies, but compensation doesn't - The ruling and wording are below and are regarding bird strikes, but I could see this applying to other delays as well:

Originally Posted by ECJ
However, although the air carrier may be required to take certain preventative measures in order to reduce or even prevent the risks of any collisions with birds, it is not responsible for the failure of other entities (such as, inter alia, airport managers or the competent air traffic controllers) to fulfil their obligations to take the preventative measures for which they are responsible.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...%3A62015CC0315
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
The existence of the FCT is tacit acceptance by LH that FRA is an unequivocally horrible travel experience. If the airport was to the standard of a world class airport, they just wouldn’t need a separate building for F and high status passengers.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by denhaagflyer

I don’t think I have ever had to wait more than 10 minutes in MUC. Anyway, the statistical evidence of FRA vs. Rest of German airports still stands
and another day of misery in FRA https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...786.html%3famp
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Taking a picture of the queue is OK.
No, it is not. According to EU law one is not allowed to take pictures of other people without their consent. If you would (try to) take a photo of me in a queue, I would call the police and sue you.
behuman likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by athome
No, it is not. According to EU law one is not allowed to take pictures of other people without their consent. If you would (try to) take a photo of me in a queue, I would call the police and sue you.
And you would lose. Just being present in the picture taken gives you no basis.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by athome
Hahaha
Thanks for the Christmas giggles.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Recently I had the pleasure of a NS-S transit in AMS. FRA is a piece of cake compared to that... when you arrive unclean from outside EU security is a nightmare, immigration is clogged without end. There are signs and employees asking EU citizens to go landside to be quicker. Once you are landside you can't just use the first (empty) security checkpoint you come to, even though all the gates are connected airside. No, the scanner at the entry to security rejects you and asks you to walk 500 m to the designated security area of your gate, which in my case was completely full and required 15 minutes to cross. The security area for Schengen just beside the place I came landside was empty. My CDG experience earlier this year was horrid, and I don't want to talk about LHR....

Poor @NewbieRunner has done the footwork already and documented most of FRA. More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...on-thread.html
As an LH loyalist you have to put the other European airports down. While I have seen lines at CDG, AMS is typically not so bad coming from the US into Europe holding a EU passport. But then again you won't let anything come onto your LH, right or wrong....
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
@Christefan : Of course dear. Please do some more research... I've not flown much Lufthansa longhaul or thru FRA this year...

The terror warning on German airports this xmas travel season has messed up all controls badly. Plus airports are unable to find security staff for the low wages they are willing to pay... so they have to go along with the slowness of the staff...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Perhaps they ought to stop forcing people into nude-o-scopes and do something with better throughput?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.