Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:14 am

Lufthansa is complaining at Fraport. Fraport is complaining at the Bundespolizei. And the Bundespolizei is complaining about the private security companies. Actually the Bundespolizei is not able to get a good provider as it is almost impossible under public tender law.

There are plans that Fraport will be responsible for the security controls in the future. They would be able to find a good provider.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by hugolover
LOL. In Soviet Russia maybe.
chuckle!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Is there any reason for the extra thorough and slow process, does anyone know?
I have no idea if this is correct, but I have heard on several times when people complained recently in the queues that 'it is due to the Americans' changing the rules or requiring the screeners to be more thorough. I am not sure if that is just an excuse, though.

Originally Posted by Grog
I could only wish this were a primary factor, but indeed, I keep witnessing the "first-contact" security persons not communicating well with passengers. Mind you, these were Germans talking to Germans, ...
At the risk of seeming insensitive, many of the screeners actually speak poor German. I had a run in recently with one who kept insisting that I had a child with me, to my complete puzzlement. The situation became more tense and he kept insisting that I had a child with me, until finally I realised that he meant something else entirely. For us too it is not always easy to interact, if they do not speak German very well. I suppose switching to English would be the better outcome in some cases.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Why? Because the Stasi might send bad vibes through the computer?
LOL. In Soviet Russia maybe.
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
I don't believe you are actually allowed to take photos of policemen, especially in security-sensitive locations like airports, so I would be careful about telling everyone on an internet forum that you have done this.
I forgot to mention, because of this unusual situation with the Bundespolizei, I took a photo of the policeman standing at the end of the queue talking to pax time stamped 16:14. They told me the photo "didn't prove anything" and "we don't care about your photo".
The german consitution accords everyone in Germany the so called ' Persönlichkeitsrecht' which includes 'Recht am eigenen Bild'. So while you are free to film and photograph whatever, you cannot distribute nor publish images that identify others without their explicit consent. This includes employees of an airline and even policemen on duty. So taking photos of anyone and showing it to others without consent is not legal in Germany. Exemptions are only made for „Person der Zeitgeschichte“ ie celebrities, general panorama shots in which indivdiuals happen to be in the picture, or if the person is clearly consenting as shown in the picture (ie waving or smiling into the camera).
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know...But as you say you can still TAKE the photos. And you just blur the face, like something in Bild...

His or her face, (because I wouldn’t want to suggest someone in a mans clothes actually identifies as a man, it may be a womon, Zie or Zer...) is not relevant, just the fact this individual was closing the checkpoint and discussing it with pax.

Anyway, as I said, Papa Lufty isn’t interested because 40 min connection is plenty of time in Frankfurt-maybe it should be new MCT?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kleffen
A few years back I travelled through FRA quite often, and I tried to understand the layout. I gave up and just followed the signs...
This summer I had a very long layover at FRA and made it my goal to finally understand this airport (well, at least Terminal 1). It is actually possible! I hit my daily exercise goal about 5 times that day, but for every possible route in FRA I can now think of ~3 different alternatives, many involving the SkyLine.

I appreciate that the folks in FRA tend to give you freedom as long as they get the impression that you know what you're doing. Going into C with a BP for A? Give a reasonable explanation, show that you're aware that you're going in the wrong concourse and they send you on your way "of course sir, no problem".

The other topic here has tons of information and advice, but in the end, you need to walk the whole airport by foot to understand this maze. To be honest, I haven't experienced a single airport that is this complex, but it's worth it to get an understanding as the time savers can be significant. The sings - of which most are indeed dynamic - often don't show the shortest routes.
Xyzzy and hugolover like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by mozilla
but in the end, you need to walk the whole airport by foot to understand this maze. To be honest, I haven't experienced a single airport that is this complex,.
Bravo for your energy & enthusiasm !

However for most pax it’s probably easier to avoid FRA
hugolover and royng like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Recently I had the pleasure of a NS-S transit in AMS. FRA is a piece of cake compared to that... when you arrive unclean from outside EU security is a nightmare, immigration is clogged without end. There are signs and employees asking EU citizens to go landside to be quicker. Once you are landside you can't just use the first (empty) security checkpoint you come to, even though all the gates are connected airside. No, the scanner at the entry to security rejects you and asks you to walk 500 m to the designated security area of your gate, which in my case was completely full and required 15 minutes to cross. The security area for Schengen just beside the place I came landside was empty. My CDG experience earlier this year was horrid, and I don't want to talk about LHR....

Poor @NewbieRunner has done the footwork already and documented most of FRA. More here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...on-thread.html

Last edited by oliver2002; Dec 20, 2018 at 5:19 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Recently I had the pleasure of a NS-S transit in AMS. FRA is a piece of cake compared to that... when you arrive unclean from outside EU security is a nightmare, immigration is clogged without end. There are signs and employees asking EU citizens to go landside to be quicker. Once you are landside you can't just use the first (empty) security checkpoint you come to, even though all the gates are connected airside. No, the scanner at the entry to security rejects you and asks you to walk 500 m to the designated security area of your gate, which in my case was completely full and required 15 minutes to cross. The security area for Schengen just beside the place I came landside was empty.l
That doesn't make sense...

There are two Schengen security checkpoints, one in the main building and one by the temporary check in area.
You can enter through the main checkpoint with any BP, at least any Schengen BP. I know, I've done it loads of times.

Unless it's a within-the-last-two-weeks change, are you sure you didn't try to enter NS again?
(besides, it would make no sense to do it from pax flow perspective. All the lounges are near the main filter; sending premium pax down to temporary building and then back up airside from the lounge would surely mean they'll raise hell immediately)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:09 am

Arrived with 9W at G or M from BOM on November 23. KL flight to MUC at D50s. Got landside somewhere near M. Tried 'Security Fliter' 4. Rejected with message 'Go to security filter 1'. Same story at SF 3 & 2. Of course SF1 was responsible for departures from D and C so it was a zoo at 7am. In FRA they would have easily let me in thru checks in M and I could have walked thru using the epassport gates.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/airport-maps/
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Arrived with 9W at G or M from BOM on November 23. KL flight to MUC at D50s. Got landside somewhere near M. Tried 'Security Fliter' 4. Rejected with message 'Go to security filter 1'. Same story at SF 3 & 2. Of course SF1 was responsible for departures from D and C so it was a zoo at 7am. In FRA they would have easily let me in thru checks in M and I could have walked thru using the epassport gates.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/airport-maps/
Oh, but there is no airside connection between M and the Schengen gates, M being the separated low-cost pier (that I occasionally forget exists). You'd have to use 1 or 1A indeed.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
Originally Posted by mhaines94108
I just waited 75 minutes to get through the Business/First security line at the Z terminal in Frankfurt airport. I counted people and watched the clock and calculated they were processing significantly less than one person per minute. Dozens of people missed their flights, some after having waited more than two hours.
IME this has been like this for 10 past yrs. there was recently a German newspaper article citing statistics that it takes twice as long in FRA to process a pax thru security than in other German airports. I have rarely serious problems with security but 80% of such problems have been in FRA. Never seen such a level of incompetence, inefficiency and bad attitude in any other airport in any of the 93 countries I have been to
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by denhaagflyer

IME this has been like this for 10 past yrs. there was recently a German newspaper article citing statistics that it takes twice as long in FRA to process a pax thru security than in other German airports. I have rarely serious problems with security but 80% of such problems have been in FRA. Never seen such a level of incompetence, inefficiency and bad attitude in any other airport in any of the 93 countries I have been to
My experience in MUC is by far worse. I have encountered several situations at security there that would make Soviet officials proud.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:12 am

On a recent connection in FRA, I was really short on time (inbound flight was late) and yet it took long time to go through security even in so-called "fast lane". 10 mins before the departure I was still clearing security where they also decided it'd be a good idea to pull my bag aside and check my laptop too. I still made it on the flight, even though I arrived at the gate exactly at the departure time, they were holding the plane back for a bunch of pax that were also late from their connection from BOS.

Now the question I have. Considering a missed connection might well cause delay to final destination that triggers EC261, how exactly is it determined whose fault the misconnect is? In obvious where the inbound flight is clearly very late, thats clear. But what about my case or indeed the case described here - if the first flight arrives 30 mins before departure of the second flight? What if its parked really far away? How quick are you expected to run through the terminal? And should we be taking any photos/evidence (e.g. of a long security line or passport control line) to proove that misconnect is not our fault?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:22 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes taking picture is a good idea, that would document your case should you need it. Taking note of the times (enter security at ..., leave security at ...) while it happens is also a good idea.
This will give you documented facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.