Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Verdi is striking for an average wage of 20€/h. TXL and SXF saw the first wave, today its the turn of STR/DUS/CGN.
Didn’t the just move up from 11,70 to 16 Euros a few years ago? At some point it will be cheaper for the federal police to do it themselves.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by worldclubber

Didn’t the just move up from 11,70 to 16 Euros a few years ago? At some point it will be cheaper for the federal police to do it themselves.
Still not sure if that would be an improvement or not.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Still not sure if that would be an improvement or not.
Well, they can hardly be less service-oriented than the clowns at DUS and, more importantly, federal police cannot go on strike.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the job ads the entry level pay for this soulless job is 12-13€/h. I doubt you get highly motivated people persons for such pay in major German cities. The average wage seems to be around 17€ and since they cannot few new staff the existing staff is completely overworked.

FraSec pays 16€/h in FRA: https://www.frasec.de/stellenanzeigen/

Yesterday the BR of the 'Fraport Security Services' got some airtime in TV and it does seem that the mood amongs the security staff is pretty low. Like in gastronomy business, it seems the staff take out their frustration with their situation with the customers and not their management.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 5:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Flight schedule disruptions to and from Frankfurt on 15 January 2019 due to a strike by security personnel at the airport Frankfurt

Due to a security personnel strike at the airport of Frankfurt, Lufthansa Group flights to and from Frankfurt are expected to be significantly impaired on 15 January 2019. Lufthansa is currently working on solutions to enable you to travel as smoothly as possible under these circumstances. Please check this page regularly for further information.

http://bit.ly/2JXOIc7
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

While researching FraSec last night I noticed that they run the security in TXL,SXF,CGN,STR and of course FRA. No wonder the largest airport security company was picked by the Union to be messed with. Curiously though they announced yesterday there would be no strikes till the 23rd, now they announced a strike on the 15th
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:06 am

If you look at the job ads the entry level pay for this soulless job is 12-13€/h. I doubt you get highly motivated people persons for such pay in major German cities. The average wage seems to be around 17€ and since they cannot few new staff the existing staff is completely overworked.

FraSec pays 16€/h in FRA: https://www.frasec.de/stellenanzeigen/

Yesterday the BR of the 'Fraport Security Services' got some airtime in TV and it does seem that the mood amongs the security staff is pretty low. Like in gastronomy business, it seems the staff take out their frustration with their situation with the customers and not their management.
I don‘t know why they do it, but many of the staff at many airports are just unacceptable. And 17€ per hour is not the lowest I have heard for an almost utterly unskilled job.

Would not mind them demanding so much that we can get back federal police doing it. We have enough small groups who can shut down infrastructure, do not need the security screeners to add to that.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:08 am

While researching FraSec last night I noticed that they run the security in TXL,SXF,CGN,STR and of course FRA. No wonder the largest airport security company was picked by the Union to be messed with. Curiously though they announced yesterday there would be no strikes till the 23rd, now they announced a strike on the 15th
Heard that too yesterday. Maybe they got so greedy they just don’t know what they are doing anymore.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
Would not mind them demanding so much that we can get back federal police doing it.
Federal Police in Germany has far higher wages ... so in the end they will use less staff to do the same job and you have to pay more.

Also I'm pretty certain none of the security people currently doing the job in FRA would fulfill all the conditions of employment for a BP policeperson:

https://service.bund.de/IMPORTE/Stel...3/2304383.html

The training takes 30 months (security staff only 6 weeks) and the vacation & benefits are probably very expensive

Note that the land of the free has only govt staff performing security. Compared to the TSA the FraSec are a freindly bunch
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Federal Police in Germany has far higher wages ... so in the end they will use less staff to do the same job and you have to pay more.

Also I'm pretty certain none of the security people currently doing the job in FRA would fulfill all the conditions of employment for a BP policeperson:

https://service.bund.de/IMPORTE/Stel...3/2304383.html

The training takes 30 months (security staff only 6 weeks) and the vacation & benefits are probably very expensive

Note that the land of the free has only govt staff performing security. Compared to the TSA the FraSec are a freindly bunch
The US doesn't have only government staff performing security, for some US airports have private company contract screeners doing what the US DHS/TSA employees do at the vast majority of US airports.

TSA are no longer getting paid -- the first paycheck of the year isn't going out until the US government shutdown sort of ends or gets a break -- so they are probably extra grumpy this month.

I'm not sure FraSec are such a friendly bunch, but on average they seem to have less extreme forms of behavior on-the-job than the TSA.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:03 am

The jury is still out on that.

And, they cannot go on strike and cause lots of inconvenience and millions in damages.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US doesn't have only government staff performing security, for some US airports have private company contract screeners doing what the US DHS/TSA employees do at the vast majority of US airports.
Correct, American airport authorities can outsource security to private companies who are approved by the TSA. Nowadays this mainly is the case at smaller airports, but some large airports do this as well (SFO, MCI). However, none has the same volume of pax as FRA, although SFO is not that far behind.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 pm

I know this is gonna be unpopular, especially given that many here are actually inconvenienced by those (I don't have any upcoming travel for the next 2mo), but I fully support the strike and I hope their demands will be met. Strong labour laws that allow for those are one of the best things about Germany.

Solidarity with the striking!
malmostoso and Coffee drinker like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by klausa
I know this is gonna be unpopular, especially given that many here are actually inconvenienced by those (I don't have any upcoming travel for the next 2mo), but I fully support the strike and I hope their demands will be met. Strong labour laws that allow for those are one of the best things about Germany.

Solidarity with the striking!
Strikes should be a last resort and not simply to get attention before negotiations in good faith have been completed. I do not consider giving key minority groups the power to strike at a whim as tough labour laws but political weakness or inability to change it. However bad their grievance might be, this cannot be the way such disputes are solved. It only serves to heighten tension, build animosity from the public and entrench positions on both sides of the argument.
worldclubber likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Regarding the strikes, I was due to fly into FRA on Monday evening, and then out again Tuesday morning to SEA (booked on a through ticket). For anyone else in this situation I called Austrian (who I booked with) and they proactively changed my flight to avoid FRA though they don't know for sure if I'll be affected (that they can tell me).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.