German district court rules in favor of pax in hidden city case

Old Feb 11, 19, 7:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa has appealed the ruling and now the news is going thru the press. Bild picked it up last week and other quality yellow press are regurgitating the same story. An example: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8773371.html
Old Feb 11, 19, 7:48 am

Nonstop you in action.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:32 am

Programs: LX SEN
Nonsense you in action

What about the persons who purchase well in advance multiple cheap tickets, knowing that they will use certain, but not all of them? Here is an example, I plan to go to an event near NCE from GVA, and I do not know exactly when I will leave and/or return, but the tickets are very cheap, as the event is a couple of months ahead. I figure out that it is cheaper for me to buy a bunch of tickets now, than purchasing a ticket when I will know exactly my schedule. Shall the airline sanction me for taking benefit of the system that it puts in place?
ffay005, chris63 and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, Marriott, HHonors etc.
Originally Posted by Nic33 View Post
Shall the airline sanction me for taking benefit of the system that it puts in place?
They may try, but itís about as likely to be successful as a 60 yard field goal attempt.
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:11 am

Well, the airlines argue that if you are not sure if you will be able to be on all the flights you booked, book an expensive flexible ticket and not a cheap non-flexible one. That is why the cheap ones are cheap

In general, I do not have a problem with that reasoning as long as they make sure you won't be penalized for accidents and mishaps like missing a flight because of traffic on the highway.
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
Well, the airlines argue that if you are not sure if you will be able to be on all the flights you booked, book an expensive flexible ticket and not a cheap non-flexible one. That is why the cheap ones are cheap

In general, I do not have a problem with that reasoning as long as they make sure you won't be penalized for accidents and mishaps like missing a flight because of traffic on the highway.
So cheap tickets should come with an obligation to use them? I doubt the airlines will get away with it.

Another interesting thought: can airlines still deny award miles in a revenue based system when you pay for a flight you cannot use?
chris63, strickerj and Cotumely like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
So cheap tickets should come with an obligation to use them? I doubt the airlines will get away with it.

I know that this opinion is not popular here and that of course there are very good arguments against that. But intentional Hidden City ticketing or using a cheap r/t ticket to just use the outbound is trying to trick the pricing system. So, the logical consequence for airlines will be, to adjust their pricing strategy. Which in turn probably will not be favorable for me as a customer.

From a customer I perspective, of course it looks different. And that airlines cannot easily force you to take all flights is at the moment the discussion, for sure they won't be able to drag you on board .

It could be that airlines come up with new ticketing options like 'book a two times one-way pricing and get x% discount back which would be on par with a current r/t price if the pax took both flights', or similar stupid ideas...

Originally Posted by worldclubber View Post
can airlines still deny award miles in a revenue based system when you pay for a flight you cannot use?

Probably also depends on the contract language. If you in fact purchase the miles with the ticket or if you earn them by placing butt in seat. And if the contract language will hold up in court.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:34 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Lufthansa has appealed the ruling and now the news is going thru the press. Bild picked it up last week and other quality yellow press are regurgitating the same story. An example: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8773371.html
I am quite surprised that the media just started noticing this interesting case. In the meantime, ~ 50% of tweets are about this case. Really stunning

Kexbox (the passengers lawyer)
worldclubber likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just caught it on CNN right now Tuesday, 10:45am Hawaii time
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by fassy View Post
I know that this opinion is not popular here and that of course there are very good arguments against that. But intentional Hidden City ticketing or using a cheap r/t ticket to just use the outbound is trying to trick the pricing system.
I was not talking about hidden city ticketing, but about buying tickets and not using them at all (as another user suggested). Doubt airlines will be able to bill pax again after a no-show.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by kexbox View Post
I am quite surprised that the media just started noticing this interesting case. In the meantime, ~ 50% of tweets are about this case. Really stunning

Kexbox (the passengers lawyer)
Actually, I took the liberty to alert some friends at some major national and international news agencies to the case after reading about LHís appeal on V-Treff. Canít let them get away with that.
chris63 and newflyer530 like this.

Last edited by worldclubber; Feb 12, 19 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 12, 19, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LH did not lose on the hidden city ticketing grounds, but on the grounds that its COC were unclear and that the passenger cannot determine what he will be required to pay if he engaged in hidden city ticketing fraud. If LH loses on appeal, it can amend its COC quite easily as AF has already done.

Presuming that LH has a decent word processing program, it too can make this right.
Old Feb 12, 19, 5:43 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I saw this in the Daily Mail as well.
Old Feb 13, 19, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Now Richard Quest explains hidden city: https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/lu...ntl/index.html
Old Feb 13, 19, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Now Richard Quest explains hidden city: https://us.cnn.com/travel/article/lu...ntl/index.html
Somebody really scr&@d up big time at LH.

OR, it is their secret strategy to dramatically increase the hidden city bookings to be able to pressure politicians to pass legislation against it.

Search this Thread