Wiki Posts
Search

Short check baggage EW to UA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Short check baggage EW to UA

Will Eurowings permit me to short-check baggage?

I am flying from Stuttgart to Honolulu via LHR and SFO, all in business, fully flexible, one ticket.

Six hours' daytime layover at LHR. Need to collect luggage, drop it off at home, and bring new luggage back to the airport for the remainder of the journey.

Normally fly OneWorld and they would not permit this
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Don’t see why not, I have done similar on LH ticket with LH not EW.

You have a valid explanation & clearly not trying to skip the last leg.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
Don’t see why not, I have done similar on LH ticket with LH not EW. You have a valid explanation & clearly not trying to skip the last leg.
Many thanks. I recall some carriers prohibit short-checking but it sounds like that is not a problem on LH (and hopefully not on EW either) ^
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not a question of an explanation, it is a question of hidden-city ticket fraud prevention. Sometimes this works and sometimes it does not. Hopefully in this case, it seems apparent that one would not sensibly abandon the LHR-HNL segments in order to fly to LHR.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Many thanks. I recall some carriers prohibit short-checking but it sounds like that is not a problem on LH (and hopefully not on EW either) ^
I’m confident you will be fine but please let us know how it went
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris63
I’m confident you will be fine but please let us know how it went
Thank you! And yes, I will do so.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Sorry to jump in on this, but I also have a short-checking question. We have a layover of around 9 hours in Munich after arriving from MEX (arriving MUC 5.05am and departing at 14.45) and would like to collect our luggage there. Do you think this is a reasonable amount of layover time to ask for short checking luggage? It is also possible we may need to not take our final flight, (back to AMS) but we don’t know yet for sure.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Sorry to jump in on this, but I also have a short-checking question. We have a layover of around 9 hours in Munich after arriving from MEX (arriving MUC 5.05am and departing at 14.45) and would like to collect our luggage there. Do you think this is a reasonable amount of layover time to ask for short checking luggage? It is also possible we may need to not take our final flight, (back to AMS) but we don’t know yet for sure.
LH will do this without any problems! I have done it many times, for connections in FRA where I have collected my luggage, went to the Welcome lounge to shower and change clothes and checked it back in!
No problem!
ChrisBub likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer
LH will do this without any problems! I have done it many times, for connections in FRA where I have collected my luggage, went to the Welcome lounge to shower and change clothes and checked it back in!
No problem!
+ 1

It will be no problem IME
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:02 am
Original Poster

RESULT

EW says they will not interline to UA! At least, not from STR this morning. I am travelling on a 016 ticket, EW-UA-UA. The check-in agent at STR just now said I must collect my luggage at LHR and then check in again with UA for the remaining segments. She also said that EW does not interline to Star Alliance.

All sounds a bit suspect to me, but as I wanted my luggage to stop at LHR, it was for the best!

It was however a shame that she said she was unable to print boarding passes for the UA flights on the same ticket and itinerary I explained that it was all on the same ticket number and itinerary, and she called a supervisor on the phone to check, but no luck. Ah well -- not a problem! Plenty of time to check in again with UA at LHR.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EWs DCS is not setup to do complex interlines, you were lucky that you had a long layover in LHR. They can generate interline bagtags manually... but no chance to generate the boarding pases for the onward flights not operated by EW.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.