Flight delay compensation

Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
D-AIXB came in from HND and arrived 45min early in MUC. This was not supposed to be the aircraft for ORD as it arrived when the ORD flight was supposed to leave. They switched aircraft and used D-AIXB for the ORD flight instead of the originally scheduled a/c.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Quick question: I am requesting compensation for the missed connection from MUC-OTP due to the ORD-MUC flight being delayed. Is this considered a long haul flight since it was booked on the same reservation?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by poisson
Quick question: I am requesting compensation for the missed connection from MUC-OTP due to the ORD-MUC flight being delayed. Is this considered a long haul flight since it was booked on the same reservation?
Yes, absolutely
So they most probably owe you 600 EUR.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Don't they lock the doors about 20-30 min before departure? I literally ran to the gate and got there probably 5-10 min too late. No one was at the gate and the screen near the gate had already been turned off. I waited at the Lufthansa desk and they had already rebooked me on the next available flight, so I assume they knew it wouldn't be possible to make it.
Normally doors are closed 5 - 10 minutes prior to the time (block time) mentioned on flightradar24, assuming the aircraft did not have to wait at the stand for a long time with passengers boarded due to ATC restrictions. Assuming this was not the case for your missed flight to OTP, aircraft doors were probably closed around a quarter past four. Do you remember at which time you arrived at the gate and and which time your deboarded the LH435 flight from ORD. Knowing these times would help in the argumentation chain towards LH.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by athome
Normally doors are closed 5 - 10 minutes prior to the time (block time) mentioned on flightradar24, assuming the aircraft did not have to wait at the stand for a long time with passengers boarded due to ATC restrictions. Assuming this was not the case for your missed flight to OTP, aircraft doors were probably closed around a quarter past four. Do you remember at which time you arrived at the gate and and which time your deboarded the LH435 flight from ORD. Knowing these times would help in the argumentation chain towards LH.
Oh shoot! Now I remember something. The ORD-MUC flight waited for probably 10-15min at MUC on the ground because there was a problem connecting the jet bridge. Do airlines know exactly what time passengers were allowed to exit the aircraft?

Flightaware says LH435 landed at 3:47PM, but I'm pretty sure we weren't allowed off the plane until after 4PM.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Flight Orgination Delay Irrelevant to EC 261 Claim

My ORD-MUC flight arrived in MUC 3hr late because the plane was coming from MUC and was delayed 2hr departing there.

Is anyone on this forum able to find out why? The pilot or crew only said that the plane was late arriving into ORD, but didn't say why it was late leaving MUC.
The reason for the delay of an originating flight (as in this case MUC) is irrelevant for EC 261 Claims for subsequent return flights, as in this case from ORD-MUC. If there is/was a 3+ hour weather delay in MUC that caused the flight to arrive at ORD 3+ hours late, LH cannot claim MUC weather as an exception to liability under EC 261. Really..you ask ? Yes, LH knows when their inbound flight from MUC is delayed. LH has the option, and under EC 261, the duty, to re-book its' passengers on other carriers that are not delayed. If LH chooses not to re-book its' ORD based passengers on other carriers, they face liability under EC261 if that return flight to MUC is delayed more than 2 hours. This is one of the reasons EC261 was implemented. Looking at it another way, a weather delay in MUC today could potentially be cause of delays for days or even weeks. Please let us all know the outcome of your EC 261 claim. I am troubled to hear that LH is becoming so aggressive in trying to avoid EC261 responsibility. My experience with LH has always been quite good during flight irregular operations.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by gpicur
T..., they face liability under EC261 if that return flight to MUC is delayed more than 2 hours....
Where are the 2 hours coming from?? Any proof that 2 hours are relevant for a long haul?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The reason for the delay of an originating flight (as in this case MUC) is irrelevant for EC 261 Claims for subsequent return flights, as in this case from ORD-MUC. If there is/was a 3+ hour weather delay in MUC that caused the flight to arrive at ORD 3+ hours late, LH cannot claim MUC weather as an exception to liability under EC 261. Really..you ask ? Yes, LH knows when their inbound flight from MUC is delayed. LH has the option, and under EC 261, the duty, to re-book its' passengers on other carriers that are not delayed. If LH chooses not to re-book its' ORD based passengers on other carriers, they face liability under EC261 if that return flight to MUC is delayed more than 2 hours. This is one of the reasons EC261 was implemented. Looking at it another way, a weather delay in MUC today could potentially be cause of delays for days or even weeks. Please let us all know the outcome of your EC 261 claim. I am troubled to hear that LH is becoming so aggressive in trying to avoid EC261 responsibility. My experience with LH has always been quite good during flight irregular operations.
I don't believe this is true.
Irregularities at the outstation, AFAIK, are considered differently than at the hub. The difference in what are reasonable measures that can be taken. At the outstation you can't do anything reasonable other than wait for the aircraft. In hub, you could swap equipment around.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There is no known precedential authority for your assertion that LH had an obligation to rebook on another carrier. If you can locate any, please provide it.
2. Even if LH did rebook on other carriers, the next flight with a nonstop to MUC was UA the next day at 18:00. Although I could be wrong for the specific date of travel, I believe that there are no other connections on this route (either at a US or European gateway) which would have arrived at either MUC or OTP with anywhere close to the delay OP encountered. This is especially true because OP came close to making his connection at MUC. It is often possible to make up time enroute. If you have rebookings which would have worked better than the delay OP encountered, please provide them.
3. OP's final ticketed destination was OTP and this was then a Type 3 flight. For EC 261/2004 delay compensation to apply, OP would need to have been delayed by at least 3 hours (EUR 300) or 4 hours for the full amount (EUR 600).

The outstation vs. hub issue is not dispositive. However, in this case, it appears that LH did reassign an aircraft so as to minimize delay and the weather inbound directly affected the outbound. Finding another aircraft to perform the ORD-MUC segment was likely fruitless.

OP may choose to pursue a claim, but would be well-advised not to spend the loot just yet.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I submitted an email to LH on December 10. If I don't hear something by the end of the week, I'll send another email.

I'm assuming this process can take several months, right?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone. I submitted an email to LH on December 10. If I don't hear something by the end of the week, I'll send another email.

You have the complaint ID number from them ?

It will certainly take weeks for an initial response, if it takes longer than that you can ask the Lurkers here to chase it up.

Let us know the outcome.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite

Last time it took them ~1 week to respond. If you got your case ID, just call them in 2 weeks, dont send another e-mail.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniq

Last time it took them ~1 week to respond. If you got your case ID, just call them in 2 weeks, dont send another e-mail.
Your a SEN that’s a quicker service & it should be !
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by chris63

Your a SEN that’s a quicker service & it should be !
That might be, however LX response is usually within one day, I though for LH does not care about status...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniq
That might be, however LX response is usually within one day, I though for LH does not care about status...
Again, LX have a dedicated SEN team.

LH have always graded SEN & HON responses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.