my sub 125 mile segment

Old Nov 28, 18, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
my sub 125 mile segment

With M&M going revenue based it seemed clear that for some tickets we would think of a 125 mile segment as the good old days.
This thread is really to rant/moan/cheer those segments. It's just a matter of time until someone posts the mythical 1-mile segment

I'll kick this with an excellent earning of 30 miles.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:29 am

Programs: LH HON**
Would be interesting to see what you paid for the segment in total, plus the cost split of the airline fare component vs 3rd party surcharges.
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Segment shown was 1 of 4, total cost 149.80CHF (base fare 33chf, Taxes, fees & surcharges 116.80). Booked directly through LH.com but I don't have the breakdown of this last portion in the mail with confirmation.
Segments earned (30+102+108+30) = 270 miles. Good old days would have been 628. This was one of my family members, I credited my own trip somewhere else.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH HON**
So if we presume that the base fare was the only revenue for the airline (who provides the loyalty program), they earned CHF 33 for 4 flights? I agree that the miles earned are ridiculously low, but at this level of rates I doubt we should expect to get much back either...?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:00 pm

Based on 270 miles earned at 6 miles per euro - the fare (including fuel surcharges) that LH ended up with would have been €45.

I must admit, in this context (and in my opinion) it doesn't look like it is worth being in the complex business of running an airline. All assuming the miles calculation is correct.
Old Nov 28, 18, 1:44 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Here's another fantastic earning of 28 miles. Let's see if anyone has an even "better" result.

It was part of a BRU-FRA-IST-FRA-BRU ticket. The outbound part of trip was in economy (K) and the inbound in business (P).

Total earning was 680 miles for 262 € paid. The ticket fare was 74 € and the YQ 96 €. I would have earned 1750 miles with the old booking class based system.

As someone who travels mostly accross Europe for pleasure and books the tickets a few months in advance, my earnings are much worse than before (not that they were ever great). But I get the idea, Lufthansa doesn't make much money from these tickets...
GBM.flights likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:36 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But they reckon that this is going to drive loyalty?? I suppose the only other places to credit are UA Mileageplus of SAS Eurobonus. Turkish and Aegean don't work for a lot of lower classes, I think.
GBM.flights likes this.
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:01 am

Programs: this and that
I can throw in a segment booked in Y (not below 125 miles, but still a rather meager earning):

Last edited by cas_de; Nov 29, 18 at 1:12 am
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:15 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This was booked in P. I haven’t noticed Additional award miles until now.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:35 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
But they reckon that this is going to drive loyalty??
I thought these very low mileage earnings mostly served as a statistics tool. How can you know if Frequent Flyer is onboard if s/he doesn't earn any miles? Give them 28 and you'll be able to track.
Old Nov 29, 18, 1:59 am

Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Fredrik74 View Post
I thought these very low mileage earnings mostly served as a statistics tool.
Exactly - I did attend a FT/VFT Kamingespräch with Carsten Spohr and other LH/EW managers a while back and Carsten Spohr did say that they only give out 125 miles for the super discounted fare buckets to be able to get an insight on M&M members' travel pattern. I can somehow understand that. I have a hard time understanding the rationale behind reducing the award miles earning rate so dramatically. You can generate loads of miles via newspaper subscriptions, opening bank accounts, etc. etc. etc., but no longer by flying. True, the partners have to pay for the miles they award to you, so it's a source of income for M&M, but shouldn't a frequent FLYER program be about flying and not about the 27th subscription of FAZ or opening a checking account? How does all that fit in with all the mileage promos that have been out during 2018 (25 times award miles, 30 times award miles on Black Friday, double award miles)?
Old Nov 29, 18, 2:33 am

Programs: LH M&M FTL

And I thought this was a complete joke...here I feel like a high roller 😀
Old Jan 22, 20, 3:03 am
Original Poster

I have a winner so far. 24 miles (with a 6x multiplier , but it' a fare for a child <12)

this loyalty game is tough
Old Jan 22, 20, 3:39 am

Programs: Miles and More FTL; BA Exec Club Silver
Thought this was interesting in context of the booking class. It's part of a Premium Eco booking BRU-HKG-ICN-BRU, which I got at a steal in N class.

Old Jan 23, 20, 2:53 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GBM.flights View Post
I have a winner so far. 24 miles (with a 6x multiplier , but it' a fare for a child <12)

this loyalty game is tough
I can match that. Got 24 miles for LH 1347 (WAW-FRA) in K last May.
But that was just a connecting flight. The next leg was LH 1464 (FRA-VLC) and there I earned a whopping 36 miles!!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: