Search

award taxes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, JAL
award taxes

good afternoon everybody,

of course the subject of lufthansa taxes has been well discussed for many decades.

however, i am looking at the possibility of booking some flights using my miles and more points. i may have to make some transfers in order for this to materalise. i have read online that better opportunities for lower taxes can be found on LOT and Austrian but sadly these airlines do not fly to my preferred location under the 'bargain' banner.

at the moment, i am seeing departures from the uk at around £670 for the return and seeing chf560 (£500) from switzerland. i wondered whether it is at all possible to find a location in europe somewhere which can beat this very bottom price found so far from switzerland? it could represent a significant saving as there are 2 of us looking to vacation in the spring time.
if somebody could save me the laborious task of searching from the 37 locations because they already know this, then i would be very thankful.

cheers, randolph.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I believe that you mean airline fees, not taxes.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
But departures from most UK airports have a ADP, the cost of which depends on the destination/class of travel.
But many people confuse real taxes/regulatory fees with airline charges (~profit).
Real taxes/regulatory fees are not able to avoided on a specific route.
Without the destination the OP's question is meaningless
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

As 'taxes' is next to the figure, I stopped reading...
But, specifically LH uses the term 'taxes, fees and surcharges' next to the offending figure.
It does not on the screen that I can see (as I don't have all the miles) break them down further.
I assume you are correct, but note that Air Passenger Duty (APD) which, I think of as a tax, would account for some of the difference between ZRH and LHR/BHX etc.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Without the destination the OP's question is meaningless
East coast USA in business of course.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
APD is a tax levied by the UK on departures.. It varies by distance and class of service. If you are flying to the US in J, it will be at the Band B Premium rate of GBP 468. If you stopover (more than 24 hours) in most of Europe, it drops to GBP 78, but you do need the stopover (not connection),

Thus, all of this calls for research and a clear understanding of taxes vs. fees.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:08 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
If you are flying to the US in J, it will be at the Band B Premium rate of GBP 468.
I tend to disagree, the Band B Premium / Premium rate only applies to

For travel in planes of 20 tonnes or more equipped to carry fewer than 19 passengers.
e.g. private jets. The standard rate is still a lovely GBP156.

See also: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rates-an...passenger-duty

The rates are going to increase in April 2019, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.