Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

SN Business Class downgrade compensation - Brussels wants me to send bank acct info?

SN Business Class downgrade compensation - Brussels wants me to send bank acct info?

Old Nov 23, 18, 5:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 112
SN Business Class downgrade compensation - Brussels wants me to send bank acct info?

My wife and I recently flew BRU-JFK on SN in business class a few weeks ago. The aircraft was swapped at the last minute to a Eurowings A340 that took off a few hours late. Brussels had forms for us to fill out on board. I received an email from the airline asking us to send bank account information. Iím a little cautious as this seems like an unusual step vs just mailing a check.

Has anyone else had this experience?
GopherMSP is offline  
Old Nov 23, 18, 6:28 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: BRU
Programs: Miles & More FTL
Posts: 39
I wouldn't worry at all. Bank transfers are commonly used for refunds accross Europe, and a bank account number isn't sensitive data.

We don't even use checks anymore in Belgium, I haven't seen one in more than ten years...
gerilege likes this.
Anderson24 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 5,080
Standard procedure for LH group, they always make Bank transfer payments of EU261 compensation. Perfectly safe & normal.

Bravo to SN for offering payment whilst you were onboard ^ You would need to fight with LH for EU261 compensation.
chris63 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:48 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 92,205
If they send money direct to your bank account, as is typical in Europe, you avoid having to pay fees or find a full service bank in order to cash a foreign check.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 1:21 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 145
As Andersen24 says, entirely normal. Cheques don't really exist in most of Europe. Businesses, friends, acquaintances, just pay each other back & forth through bank transfers. Doing an office whip-round to collect for someone's retirement gift? ... send an email across the office with your bank account # so everyone can just pop their share straight to the bank, etc.
RocketmanBRU is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:17 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,887
This year, SN has remitted compensation for cancellation and delay into my bank account 2 times; no issues at all. The money will show up within a few days after you provide the bank account details. This is perfectly normal here (Europe) and much easier to deal with. Bank account details are not as private/confidential as your credit card details so there is nothing to worry about.
SK AAR is online now  
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:20 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,268
Donít get me started about the hassles of transferring money from my US to German bank accounts.
MSPeconomist likes this.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:23 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 6,887
Originally Posted by RocketmanBRU View Post
Cheques don't really exist in most of Europe. Businesses, friends, acquaintances, just pay each other back & forth through bank transfers. Doing an office whip-round to collect for someone's retirement gift? ... send an email across the office with your bank account # so everyone can just pop their share straight to the bank, etc.
This description is spot on!
SK AAR is online now  
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:03 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 112
Thanks for all the replies! Glad to hear this is standard procedure!
GopherMSP is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 9:27 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,268
Weíve had this debate here before, but there is no reason to be coy about your bank account details. To put it in a US context, your account number is at the bottom of every check you write, which means that anyone can have access to it.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 11:04 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
We’ve had this debate here before, but there is no reason to be coy about your bank account details. To put it in a US context, your account number is at the bottom of every check you write, which means that anyone can have access to it.
Unfortunately, that means that the bank account number is all the information that is needed to produce a fake check. In Europe, having someone's account number lets you send them money. In the US, it lets you either send money or take it away. Yes, this is a broken system. No, we probably won't manage to fix it anytime soon.
HomelessScientist is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 1:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by chris63 View Post


Bravo to SN for offering payment whilst you were onboard ^ You would need to fight with LH for EU261 compensation.
Not necessarily. My husband and I got our payments within a week on his card. Must be luck.
ilcannone is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 6:44 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,079
Originally Posted by HomelessScientist View Post
Unfortunately, that means that the bank account number is all the information that is needed to produce a fake check. In Europe, having someone's account number lets you send them money. In the US, it lets you either send money or take it away. Yes, this is a broken system. No, we probably won't manage to fix it anytime soon.
The receiver of a fake cheque bears that risk, not the account owner. One of the reasons we don’t like cheques.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:07 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DCA
Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Donít get me started about the hassles of transferring money from my US to German bank accounts.
I use TransferWise. Itís cheap and easy.
sannmann is offline  
Old Nov 24, 18, 8:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Stoke on Trent, UK (MAN ), BUE, BKK, DBV
Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Posts: 5,080
Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
Not necessarily. My husband and I got our payments within a week on his card. Must be luck.
From who & for what ?
chris63 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: