Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

SN Business Class downgrade compensation - Brussels wants me to send bank acct info?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SN Business Class downgrade compensation - Brussels wants me to send bank acct info?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

My wife and I recently flew BRU-JFK on SN in business class a few weeks ago. The aircraft was swapped at the last minute to a Eurowings A340 that took off a few hours late. Brussels had forms for us to fill out on board. I received an email from the airline asking us to send bank account information. I’m a little cautious as this seems like an unusual step vs just mailing a check.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL
I wouldn't worry at all. Bank transfers are commonly used for refunds accross Europe, and a bank account number isn't sensitive data.

We don't even use checks anymore in Belgium, I haven't seen one in more than ten years...
gerilege likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Standard procedure for LH group, they always make Bank transfer payments of EU261 compensation. Perfectly safe & normal.

Bravo to SN for offering payment whilst you were onboard ^ You would need to fight with LH for EU261 compensation.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they send money direct to your bank account, as is typical in Europe, you avoid having to pay fees or find a full service bank in order to cash a foreign check.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: A3*G
As Andersen24 says, entirely normal. Cheques don't really exist in most of Europe. Businesses, friends, acquaintances, just pay each other back & forth through bank transfers. Doing an office whip-round to collect for someone's retirement gift? ... send an email across the office with your bank account # so everyone can just pop their share straight to the bank, etc.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This year, SN has remitted compensation for cancellation and delay into my bank account 2 times; no issues at all. The money will show up within a few days after you provide the bank account details. This is perfectly normal here (Europe) and much easier to deal with. Bank account details are not as private/confidential as your credit card details so there is nothing to worry about.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Don’t get me started about the hassles of transferring money from my US to German bank accounts.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by RocketmanBRU
Cheques don't really exist in most of Europe. Businesses, friends, acquaintances, just pay each other back & forth through bank transfers. Doing an office whip-round to collect for someone's retirement gift? ... send an email across the office with your bank account # so everyone can just pop their share straight to the bank, etc.
This description is spot on!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks for all the replies! Glad to hear this is standard procedure!
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
We’ve had this debate here before, but there is no reason to be coy about your bank account details. To put it in a US context, your account number is at the bottom of every check you write, which means that anyone can have access to it.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
We’ve had this debate here before, but there is no reason to be coy about your bank account details. To put it in a US context, your account number is at the bottom of every check you write, which means that anyone can have access to it.
Unfortunately, that means that the bank account number is all the information that is needed to produce a fake check. In Europe, having someone's account number lets you send them money. In the US, it lets you either send money or take it away. Yes, this is a broken system. No, we probably won't manage to fix it anytime soon.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by chris63

Bravo to SN for offering payment whilst you were onboard ^ You would need to fight with LH for EU261 compensation.
Not necessarily. My husband and I got our payments within a week on his card. Must be luck.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by HomelessScientist
Unfortunately, that means that the bank account number is all the information that is needed to produce a fake check. In Europe, having someone's account number lets you send them money. In the US, it lets you either send money or take it away. Yes, this is a broken system. No, we probably won't manage to fix it anytime soon.
The receiver of a fake cheque bears that risk, not the account owner. One of the reasons we don’t like cheques.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Don’t get me started about the hassles of transferring money from my US to German bank accounts.
I use TransferWise. It’s cheap and easy.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by ilcannone
Not necessarily. My husband and I got our payments within a week on his card. Must be luck.
From who & for what ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.