Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant in seat: is a car seat or additional restraint mandatory?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Smile Advice- Car Seat or CARES Harness on LX/ LH Business

We will be flying from US to India on SWISS, India to US on Lufthansa in Dec. Our 2.5 yr old son is flying for the first time. We have a window or Aisle seat for the son, Mom sits next to him. Other than that, we are relying on Lufthansa Checklist to develop our plan, can download from below link
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Trave...n-for-children

First, has anyone installed FAA approved car seat or CARES harness on SWISS A330-300 Business Seat? Second, has anyone installed FAA approved car seat or CARES harness on Lufthansa A380-800 Business Seat? Third, can our son sleep on fully flat bed with CARES harness on? Fourth, can anyone recommend play corner/ area at Zurich and Frankfurt airport. Any advice will be appreciated.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH/LX will generally accept FAA approved car seats. CARES systems are no longer allowed as they don't fit properly on the business seats that were installed in 2012-14. I used CARES for our boys till then. Both FRA & ZRH have play areas.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Children’s play area in ZRH: https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...ly-services-en
Gate E area for departures to India.

Children’s play area in FRA: https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en...lay-areas.html
Gate area Z for departures to the US.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:54 pm

EASA/LBA approved car seats

I want to buy a (baby) car seat that we can use on LH (and LX/SN/OS). If I understand correctly, I need to make sure that the car seat I buy is EASA/LBA approved.

Is there a list of authorized devices? Unfortunately, all the links posted by oliver2002 in this 2014 thread are no longer available.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Is there a list of authorized devices?
I believe this is it.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I believe this is it.
Thanks, I think this is it. How did you find it?

It seems that the FAA and CAA also have a list of authorized devices. I will try to look them up tomorrow.

Besides the child restraint systems listed, FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) or CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) certified child restraint systems are also permitted, provided that these can be properly attached to the passenger seat.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Thanks, I think this is it. How did you find it?
It's halfway down this page.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:02 pm

Infant in seat: is a car seat or additional restraint mandatory?

Hello LH forum,

I am booked to fly AMS-FRA-PVG-AKL-HKG-MUC-AMS, with a healthy mix of LH/NZ/CX. Last year our trip to AKL was a much easier AMS-SIN-AKL and back on SQ and NZ.

I am flying with my 20 month old with his own seat, and I'm trying to figure out whether a car seat or a restraint system (think CARES) is absolutely mandatory on LH. The relevant page on the LH website has somewhat conflicting information:

A child restraint system or child car seat or baby seat can be used on board to increase the passive safety of infants and children (up to about 7 years of age). Their use is entirely voluntary.
The use of a child restraint system is, of course, free of charge. Please note, however, that the child restraint system must be attached to a passenger seat. For babies (under 2 years), therefore, you must purchase a CHILD ticket. In this case, you must bring a child restraint system for your baby (0–2 years) with you. Otherwise, the baby must sit on an adult’s lap throughout the flight despite the purchased seat.
So which is it? Can he sit in his own seat (apart from takeoff and landing) during the flight without additional hardware? I'm willing to buy a CARES as insurance, but I'd rather do without.

Thank you for any information you have!
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
CARES is no longer allowed on board Lufthansa. They will probably ask you to keep the child on your lap for take off and landing.

I think I still have a CARES kit at home and can send you the kit if you like.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
CARES is no longer allowed on board Lufthansa.
Great.
They will probably ask you to keep the child on your lap for take off and landing.
That's been SOP on SQ and NZ and it's no problem, but the language on their websites is very different from that of LH.
I think I still have a CARES kit at home and can send you the kit if you like.
Well if LH doesn't allow it it would just gather Dutch dust instead of German you're very generous Oliver, thank you, I'll try in the lurker thread and maybe a tweet and see if they can clarify before I ask you for it.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:14 pm

For future reference, the LH lurkers answered this question in their thread. The car seat is mandatory for babies (0-2 years old) travelling on child fares (2-11 years old).
malmostoso likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:07 pm

Reporting back on this issue after my trip, we did not need any restraint for our 20 months old on LH in his own seat. He had to sit in lap during take off and landing, but otherwise was free to be in his assigned seat for the rest of the flight. We also used an inflatable pillow to make him a little bed, and there was no issue with the FAs.

Compare with CX which insisted the child would be in lap every time the "fasten seat belt" sign was on, or NZ where the pillow is explicitly forbidden.
mmff and craigthemif like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Child (car) seat in A380 business class

Cannot find a thread about this. We got a good deal on EU-USA business class and we bought our 19-month old her own seat in business class on a UA787. But we got "schedule changed" and I am looking at our options before calling. Unfortunately UA doesn't allow car seats in the new real Polaris seats and they don't fly the MUC-SFO dreamliner on Jan 1st (we were on that flight), so I am considering the LH A380.

Does anyone know if LH allows carseats in business class on the A380? I think there must be no airbag for it to fit and the seat cannot be angled too much, but that shouldn't be an issue.
If yes, any restriction in terms of seats (middle/window, etc)?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:52 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Check out these pages:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/safe...ldren-on-board

https://www.lufthansa.com/content/da...nt-systems.pdf

Personally, we used a MaxiCosy on the 346, 319, 320 and 321 over the years. We did also fly on the 380, but the flight was fully booked in C and we did need to check the MaxiCosy and we used the bassinet.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Resurrecting an old thread to see if I'm understanding it all properly.

I'm looking at booking some PE flights where my little one will be 18 months at the time of flight 1 (MEX-FRA) and 2 years old at the time of flight 2 (FRA-EZE). I interpret this as meaning that I must purchase a return (well, open jaw) CHILD ticket, even though she wouldn't be allowed to sit in the MEX-FRA seat without an approved car seat. (which we won't have)

However, the upside is we would be entitled to the assigned empty seat for MEX-FRA, that we could probably use during flight APART from take off, landing and seatbelt sign turbulence. Unless we end up with a FA who takes the formal rule incredibly seriously?

For babies (under 2 years), therefore, you must purchase a CHILD ticket. In this case, you must bring a child restraint system for your baby (0–2 years) with you. Otherwise, the baby must sit on an adult’s lap throughout the flight despite the purchased seat.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.