Where to check in and overnight in Zurich

Old Nov 14, 18, 3:43 am
rum
Original Poster

Programs: Amex MR, A3, BAEC, Hilton, IHG, Marriott
Where to check in and overnight in Zurich

Hi,

I'm travelling SWISS and LH soon but with my A3 frequent flyer number on the ticket.
I am not a member of SWISS and LH programmes, so I was wondering how can I check in and get an electronic boarding pass collected on my phone? Is there a way to do this either via the SWISS or LH websites or through the Aegean app?

I was also wondering about an overnight stay in Zurich. I have about 7-8 hours between my connecting SWISS flights which is overnight. Would I be able to get a hotel and can you recommend which hotel is going to be really close or in the airport? I have so far seen a Radisson (which is three times the price of anything else), but also some others like Park Inn (Radisson group), a Hilton brand and a Holiday Inn all at fairly reasonable rates. I have FF accounts with all of these so was wondering which is most practical. I will arrive at 2235 and will need to check in for the next flight at around 0500 or 0530.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 14, 18, 4:40 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by rum View Post
I was also wondering about an overnight stay in Zurich. I have about 7-8 hours between my connecting SWISS flights which is overnight. Would I be able to get a hotel and can you recommend which hotel is going to be really close or in the airport? I have so far seen a Radisson (which is three times the price of anything else), but also some others like Park Inn (Radisson group), a Hilton brand and a Holiday Inn all at fairly reasonable rates. I have FF accounts with all of these so was wondering which is most practical. I will arrive at 2235 and will need to check in for the next flight at around 0500 or 0530.
Read here:
ZRH layover recommendation?
rum likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 4:42 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andywaw View Post
Thank you!
Old Nov 14, 18, 4:50 am

Programs: *G
I dont use the app, but I dont think the app necessarily requires you to have LX/LH accounts to check in to your LX/LH flights.

For sure you can check in through the LX/LH website, then elect to have your BP emailed to you. In the mail should be a barcode image for eBP, along with an option to download the .pkpass file if you want to open with boarding pass apps. (On my android phone, i'll hit the link that says to "Open in Wallet" even though Wallet is an iOS program...)
rum likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 4:55 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah View Post
I dont use the app, but I dont think the app necessarily requires you to have LX/LH accounts to check in to your LX/LH flights.

For sure you can check in through the LX/LH website, then elect to have your BP emailed to you. In the mail should be a barcode image for eBP, along with an option to download the .pkpass file if you want to open with boarding pass apps. (On my android phone, i'll hit the link that says to "Open in Wallet" even though Wallet is an iOS program...)
That's really useful information - thanks deniah. Looks like my best option is to open the LH website from mobile then as you say get boarding pass emailed to me.
Old Nov 14, 18, 5:16 am

Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by deniah View Post

On LH you can use the app and enter your PNR and last name and it'll allow you to check in and generate a mobile BP.
On LX you can use the app and enter your PNR or ticket #, plus last name and first name and it'll allow you to check in.
rum likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 6:04 am

Programs: UA, TK , Starwood > Marriott
..and you can have any *A FFP number you want on it irrespective of the check-in channel you use.
rum likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

I'm travelling SWISS and LH soon but with my A3 frequent flyer number on the ticket.
I am not a member of SWISS and LH programmes, so I was wondering how can I check in and get an electronic boarding pass collected on my phone? Is there a way to do this either via the SWISS or LH websites or through the Aegean app?

Thanks in advance.
although its the most expensive The Radisson is probably the best option. Its < a 5 min walk to the term. Problem with The Park Inn is you hav eto sign up for the shuttle by the time you get there the early shuttles may already be full, not sure taxis are hanging around then. Also most hotels now charge a fee for the shuttle some only from the Hotel, others both ways, its not much 2nd the shuttles leave at fixed times some may not run as late as you will need it to. Miss it and youre hanging around for another hour or paying for a taxi

Personally I stay at The Radisson to avoid any problems and max my sleep time, its not worth 70k in pts but after arriving to my hotel only to find out all the possible shuttles the next morn that would get me back to the airport in time were already full, I simply had them CX the res and went to The Radisson and never looked back after that
Old Nov 15, 18, 7:43 am
rum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz View Post
although its the most expensive The Radisson is probably the best option. Its < a 5 min walk to the term. Problem with The Park Inn is you hav eto sign up for the shuttle by the time you get there the early shuttles may already be full, not sure taxis are hanging around then. Also most hotels now charge a fee for the shuttle some only from the Hotel, others both ways, its not much 2nd the shuttles leave at fixed times some may not run as late as you will need it to. Miss it and youre hanging around for another hour or paying for a taxi

Personally I stay at The Radisson to avoid any problems and max my sleep time, its not worth 70k in pts but after arriving to my hotel only to find out all the possible shuttles the next morn that would get me back to the airport in time were already full, I simply had them CX the res and went to The Radisson and never looked back after that
Thanks - I thought this might end up being the case.
In my view, it's a bit hard to justify The Radisson given that a cheaper hotel plus a taxi (if it comes to that) is not going to be that much more expensive. It's the added time in bed that may be more valuable than anything else.

I have a feeling it may be the Holiday Inn option that I go for. I wonder, has anyone got experience of the nearby Hilton?
Old Nov 15, 18, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - I thought this might end up being the case.
In my view, it's a bit hard to justify The Radisson given that a cheaper hotel plus a taxi (if it comes to that) is not going to be that much more expensive. It's the added time in bed that may be more valuable than anything else.

I have a feeling it may be the Holiday Inn option that I go for. I wonder, has anyone got experience of the nearby Hilton?
theres a Novotel (I believe thats the hotel) that you can take a tram to and from the tram is close to the term (walkable a couple of mins) its I think the 3rd stop and stops right in front, just make sure it runs in the morn when you will need to head back If youre looking for an award stay Id go with the HI as the Hil is way over priced like the Rad is. Its I believe a 15 min give or take, not something Id want to do in the morn not knowing my way in the dark. Dont know the taxi sit at that hour and how fast if they call can they get one especially when its a very short ride

https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...origin=novotel

Last edited by craz; Nov 15, 18 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 16, 18, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm intrested in hearing about these two as well. I've booked the Holiday Inn at the moment for an overnight stay, but with the Hilton sale rate being fairly close to the HIX, I might switch, especially as they are a little close to the airport, and have more facilities like a lounge I can use with my status etc.
Old Nov 16, 18, 1:55 am

If you only have 8 hours and your main interest is maximising sleep, consider the airport transit hotel:

https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...hotel-bedrooms

I stayed for one night last August, and while it's basic (I had a windowless room with twin beds, sink in the room and shared toilets & showers **), after a longhaul flight I slept really well and was much fresher than I expected the next morning. Bookings can only be made by email/phone.

**I bolded the shared toilets/showers as I can understand this may be a dealbreaker for some. However they were very clean when I was there.
Old Nov 19, 18, 3:06 am
rum
Original Poster

Booked the Holiday Inn Express in the end as I have an offer with IHG. Here's hoping the free airport transfer will still be running!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: